[Drum and Bass] Blasek - Blasek - The Symphony of Heaven [320kbps]

quite like this man
as youve said the drums are bit weak
like the bass im on headphones now so dunno how it is on a sub but sounds nice here
like the pads/strings an piano
overall sounding really good man just needs a better mixdown
and drums need work

Thanks for comments Marlok, appreciated it! I will close my daw and spend some time with drum tutorials.. However, this track is the almost finished.

on building breaks... i read a tut once that said make 100 before you expect them to sound good. its true

the vocal samples you've chosen are nice, sounding a bit flat though - could use some stereo separation
i like the vocals so much i reckon you could put an even bigger delay on them, but maybe not play the whole sample each time (so like only play the 2nd half of them after the first 4 or whatever)

the cello at 2:20 sounds a bit flat too, have you got any fx on it? im thinking it might be a crappy VST (i like cellofan)

the piano part works really well and sounds good

wheres the sub?! if its gonna be played in a club you're gonna need one, and itd give this track a lot more depth

Thanks neddez! Appreciate it, these advices was really useful!

I added stereo enhancer to vocals and it works fine for me! I will also add some chorus and eq to 2:20 cello, cheers for that!

Sorry, im quite newbie so i have to ask this: is that sub-bass the lowest sound on bass? what is freq's for sub-bass, like 30-80hz? If I add some sine-wave with lp-filter cutted around 120hz and hit c3-c5 note? :D Sorry for stupid questions, this is my first year with music production.

Yeah, I took that cello straight from the VST preset. I have studied a lot of about sound design but it feels like impossible to get real instrument's sounds out off the synth..

Last edited:
Thanks neddez! Appreciate it, these advices was really useful!

thanks for saying thanks lol

Sorry, im quite newbie so i have to ask this: is that sub-bass the lowest sound on bass?

yes

what is freq's for sub-bass, like 30-80hz? If I add some sine-wave with lp-filter cutted around 120hz and hit c3-c5 note?

i would say that a sub bass peaks at 40-50hz, but other people think differently. for this track i think 50-60hz would sound good (50hz will be a different note to 60hz)
a single sine wave played at C2 - C3 will be in the right sort of range, so play around in that octave while looking at a spectrum analyser (each note will be about 3hz apart) and see what sounds good to you
and yes lowpass it so it's not interfering with the kick/snare

Yeah, I took that cello straight from the VST preset.

Sabre talks about using orchestral instrument VSTs in his production masterclass:
http://vimeo.com/21570255
http://vimeo.com/21570410

Wicked tips neddez! Big ups for that! :) Have to check out these videos. I'm currently watching Distance's sub-tutorial video.. a lot of new information about compressors and low freq sounds!

Nice tune man, rly atmospheric, the melody is cool too. Just needs some more work on the mixdown, and wat the other guys said.

Thanks underspawn!

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

I tried to make a better mixdown with fresh ears:

http://soundcloud.com/jonesasd/blasek-the-symphony-of-heaven

I have only 5 years old logitech's computer speakers and heavy bass headphones without high frequencies, quite hard to get all sound fitting together. I just ordered KRK Rokit's monitors, keyboard and audio interface. Im really excited! :)

I have only 5 years old logitech's computer speakers and heavy bass headphones without high frequencies, quite hard to get all sound fitting together. I just ordered KRK Rokit's monitors, keyboard and audio interface. Im really excited! :)

i think that was a good move. IMO the mixdown is your tracks weakest link right now

Really nice atmospherics in here, some of the best I've heard in a while. But I agree with the others, you definately need to get those drums punching through alot more, and work on the mixdown.

Really nice atmospherics in here, some of the best I've heard in a while. But I agree with the others, you definately need to get those drums punching through alot more, and work on the mixdown.

Thanks Fletch, nice to hear that!

Where can I find good drum tutorials? - There's a million tutorials yeah, but the most of them are really shitty and a huge waste of time..

The last bump.. How about mixdown now? any tips? And thanks for comments, you all have been very helpful. :) Cheers guys!

hmm overall the mix is sounding 10x better,

MOST elements are where they should be

piano could have a BIT more stereo and be more forward in the mix
kick drum needs an eq boost
cello is sounding a little flat (im thinking more layers and reverb + a bit of stereo)

and a teeny bit more warmth in the bass (i like to use Flux Bittersweet 2 for extra warmth)

but thats just nit picking, its sounding A LOT better man, good work

Thank you again neddez, you're a helpful man! Have to check out that FluxB, i've heard some positive comments about it. And thanks also Sabre's videos.. it was a really good tutorial! I will bounce that cello to wav. and create a few channels for the eq-split. I could try to fix that kick.. sub peaks now on 55hz so kick would be boosted to 65-75hz, or am i totally wrong? :D Piano is quite easy to fix i think!

Again, big big ups neddez! :)

no worries man, i think you have a really good attitude to producing so i'm happy to help you if i can

55hz sounds good, it'll smash it on a big system but people wont be able to hear it much at home/car/etc, so i use flux bittersweet ii for that (it kind of spreads the sub out over the freqs around the peak so its more harmonic)
here are the settings i use on flux:
slow, -100%, mode: center, period: 120ms, output: +12)
(sometimes i'll put a sub through it twice, whatever sounds good)

id start by boosting the kicks at 90-100hz, 75hz is lowwwwwwww

Big ups! Thank you, you're great dude! :) I think that my further mixdowns will be a much better than now. I've read a lot of about mixdown and a little bit mastering, also you have been a very big help for me! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom