DnB Drum and Bass Bassline Production (How do you make your basslines?)

Elzerk

00111100 00110011
VIP Junglist
Hey,

I just wanted to make a thread where you can post your ways of making those filthy basslines. You don't need to go to details but it would be fun to compare our unique ways of production. I don't have now time to describe my way but I'm gonna reply as soon as I'm home. :)

resampling at low sample rates with no aliasing gets me some pretty ugly bass sounds. eqing and distorting pitched down inharmonic/noisey sounds as well.

Well for me every time can be different depending on what i'm try to achieve.

What i seem to be doing lately is start by making a bass in a synth and adding a few effects and filters for some movement, making sure my bass has enough harmonics high and low. Then i will make a pattern or just 1 long note or both, then bounce it and maybe chuck it back into my sequencer and chop it up. I then load it into my sampler and put a low pass on with some cuttoff modulation so its only opening up to 200 - 300hz, i put an eq on it to get rid of anything below 30hz and then roll off anything above 200-300hz. that is my sub.

For mids i put another sampler on a new channel and put the same bass sample in it. i then hi pass 200-300hz add a low pass filter with an lfo or env opening up to about 1400hz, then add some chorus or verb then a eq to hi pass 200-300hz again and then low pass around 1400 hz. then from there maybe notch filter or some distortion and more eq.

and then highs anything goes. i've been leaving them out lately

Thats about it really, oh and i send all the separate bass tracks to the same bass and compress them together or maybe add some psp vintage warmer

I use a Virus B and an MPC for mine. The basics are the same as reese production in DAWs but you might get some ieas for workflow from it anyway. I generally start with making a bass patch with some saw waves, detune a little, add some Unison (adds more detuned saws) and assign LFOs to the wave shape (drifting from squarish to sawish) and perhaps the detune or balance between each osc, just to add a bit of movement. I don't really like the virus B distortions so I generally skip that. A mild amount of chorus is nice. This generally does it for me since I'm into a more minimal, cold and clean sound at the moment. To make it rougher I disable the chorus, run the patch out through guitar pedals (a tubescreamer clone, a line6 pocket pod, a tube based HotBox or sometimes an Ibanez thrashmetal) then back into the virus and then through the chorus and filters. That's my basic tone.

To get the filter movements, I jam around on the cutoffs and do some pitch bends. I sample this jamming into the MPC and use it's loop chopping functions to pick out all the best bits. Then I bash away on the pads in different random orders until I find a bassline that grooves in a good way. The pads are set up so when I hit one it mutes the others, and I have one which is totally silent too so I can kill the sound completly. You could probably jump around in a sample in kontakt with a midi keyboard in the same way.

Future plans: If I wanted full on neurofunky movement I could sample all this, send it to the virus again and redo the filter movements but I haven't tried too much of this. I've yet to add compression to this flow, so sometimes the sound drops out if the filters come together in a particular way but I generally just resequence around this since sequencing is so easy with the MPC.

Last edited:
Heeeeey I'm back. Should we delete this thread and start posting on the http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/71837-DIRTY-BASSLINES-EXCHANGE-THREAD-HOW2 ?

Anyway, I'm still gonna share my way cuz' I DON'T GIVE A FU*K! :D

So I had these old synth sounds that had a lot of different multiband distortions and EQuing. They had some nice resonant elements and harmonics so I took them and used granular synthesing to make nice fat sounds and pitchbends. They had pretty good spectrum so they sounded great when granulised. I recorded long periods of me switching these knobs and making pitchbends with granulizer. I chopped that recording up and these sounds I layered with each other took nice lowends from some and nasty highs from others. And I find this to be the only way of making fat basses and snappy drums and almost EVERYTHING sound just as you want. Like I started to make all sounds on my own cause I got so mad to myself when I used something from a samplepack, nowadays I would never use a sound straight from a samplepack! Another thing is the detail in layered sounds, it can be so unique and detailed. I'm getting offtopic so, I layered these sounds took highs, mids, lows from different sounds, most of the time they sound shit but when you find sounds that will compensate eachother it a makes really good bassline. This sound I filtered and I like to try out a lot different things so I use many different types of filters and multifiltering I find to be the way. Maybe I add chorus and some distortion or other effects in this part too. In the final project, I have found a new side of me lately. And it's weird,, I usually layer these again and make these patterns by using playlist! It's weird I control the volume of individual sounds and layer them and chop them up or sometimes I even use pogo effect or reverse or make a copy of that same sound and make it longer or something? I don't know why but this way just feels natural to me.. This layering in final project. And that isn't good cause I always try to save cpu. That's why I have a lot of projects with different things and I usually export those. In the final mix I add effects to these layer tracks, in mid to high I use distortions, chorus or vocoders. Mid to mid-low I use sometimes distortions and I try to keep the lows as clean as I can. I have a lots of ideas how to try millions of things and processes and sh*t but I feel like I don't have time. I make music mainly in like 2 hour periods so not too long and try to listen all work that's in progress again for ideas and the mixdown will be as good as possible when you listen it many times with fresh ears. So I took this new attitude sometime ago when I wanted to make all sounds as unique as possible and now it feels like I don't make enough music or something. :D Maybe I got bored cause it feels like work to layer those sounds and listen boring drum kick pumping all the time, or atmospheres or snares. So I don't get anything done but focus on little sounds. And I still don't have big enough library,, maybe for like a one tune but..

I got offtopic a lot but it's because this boredom about making music just been a pain in arse.. Do you have any ways for me to try to recover my passion?

Last edited:
I got offtopic a lot but it's because this boredom about making music just been a pain in arse.. Do you have any ways for me to try to recover my passion?

Switch genres for a while. I don't mean dubstep, I mean something _entirely_ different. Make some Calypso or reggae, or metal or stoner doom or banjo folk songs about Jesus. Something with a real instrument (dig in your local flea market if you havent got anything). Honestly, its by far the best thing. You won't have any demands on how it shoud sound, and you'll just be well happy putting any old tune together.

Switch genres for a while. I don't mean dubstep, I mean something _entirely_ different. Make some Calypso or reggae, or metal or stoner doom or banjo folk songs about Jesus. Something with a real instrument (dig in your local flea market if you havent got anything). Honestly, its by far the best thing. You won't have any demands on how it shoud sound, and you'll just be well happy putting any old tune together.

Thanks for the advice. I've been maybe a day in the forum and I already feel a lot better. There's no one irl who I could talk about this stuff so thanks! And I appreciate how kind people are here. I drew graffiti back in the day and I quit cause couldn't get good feedback and develop my skills further. So I try to help people out here too and give constructive feedback. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom