DRS

Vanden

-nieuwenhuysen
VIP Junglist
Been thinking this for a while and wanted to see other people's opinions on this....

Great on track, crap live. I think he's great on records - his album was wicked and I've got high expectations for his new one on Soul:r coming soon, but every recording I've heard of him mc'ing on a set he always sounds like he's shouting into the mic and making it distort - for me this ruins the set to an extent.

Just thought I'd mention as I seen loads of people put him as their top MC of 2014 and wandered if they were basing that on his music or seeing him live.

Prime example: compare him to SP on this set

Thoughts?

I agree with this; DRS is great as a vocalist for tracks but he's not so good live... SP however is amazing, both live and in the studio.

Im the first to stick up for mc's around here but he's not that great tbh

Don't agree myself. Been going to Soul:ution for years and he always holds the mic well in there I think.

This thread will obviously list a pile of responses that are 'personal opinion' for or against. There is no real answer!

I agree, before I ever saw him I always had high expectations but found him massively underwhelming.

Anyone else think that on the record he sounds the same on most tracks?

Anyone else think that on the record he sounds the same on most tracks?

Could that not be said about ANYBODY that has a voice???????

Imagine the Rolling Stones got ditched after somebody exclaimed that Mick Jaggar sounds the same on most tracks?

His lyrics are amazing, and he has more of them than SP

BUT, SP's flow is the best in the game. I enjoy seeing DRS live, but yea I agree that when you listen back to the set, the mic should have been turned down at some point...

DRS is very unique in DnB as he freestyle mentality to DnB when most MC are very methodical in doing set chats at set times. It means his live sets are always varied and very much on the vibe of the night. Him, DRS, Conrad and SP are streets ahead of anyone really, Tempza is doing great things as well

DRS is very unique in DnB as he freestyle mentality to DnB when most MC are very methodical in doing set chats at set times. It means his live sets are always varied and very much on the vibe of the night.

I'll agree with that. I suppose the main problem I have is that he just seems to always sound distorted and some times like he's had a few too many haha

I'll agree with that. I suppose the main problem I have is that he just seems to always sound distorted and some times like he's had a few too many haha

I can only disagree with that. Promoted a few parties with DRS and he's genuinely very professional & down to earth. He's a great host & mc and never sounded distorted.
Would rate DRS clearly above any of the mancz guys. Whenever I saw Strats he was nowhere near delivering freestyle bars like DRS. And Skittles just talks way too much to a level no one outside the UK anyway understands, that's why DRS is the perfect fit, among others of course.

i'd never seen DRS til Sun & Bass this year and I personally felt his tone of voice for the club is kinda, depressing maybe :/ That's all most punters have to go on really cos who in all honesty actually spends time trying to listen to what the MC is saying at a rave...? No one except MCs

- - - Updated - - -

So yeah on records he smashes it, just not live for me.

Back
Top Bottom