drops build ups fills???

Manu Forti

Detached Audio
VIP Junglist
im having trouble with this sorta thing so when im going onto a new part after a nice quiet bit or verse what kinda things should i be doing ive tried things like reverse cymbals or just quickening the kick or snare but it never seems right.

am i doing something wrong or just need to keep trying?

any tips apreciated as google has little to offer

reverse kick (my favorite)/reverse snare/reverse bass, reverse anything, swooshy noises help to, I like to layer lots of things, have filters flying about to, then a nice crisp hi-hat dropping over everything else can change the enrgy of a track without much effort, works both for dropping back to minimal sounds or zooming into mayhem

i had to ask this thing a while ago but i guess the answers i got were kind of obvious, i have loads of FX samples for this kind of thing that i like to use... but if u want to make ur own kind of thing you need to get some noise or white noise going through a filter and sweep the filter up towards the drop, you can use LFOs to make a pattern of it, combine it with some other waves, use some chorus, pitch bend, mess around with it til u find something that suits, umm... i like to use sounds with heavy delay on them after the drop, like a vocal stab or just a cymbal, gets the beat rolling quite a bit.. just messing around i guess??

twisting filters always helps!!

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

if your gonna use a kick roll then u wanna turn the velocity down on the hits inbetween as well u mite do that already

awrite cool thats loads for me try i knew i was missing something here its a strange one like it shouldnt really be hard but its had me scratching head for weeks thanks lads

yeah the kick roll wasnt working for me as the it was clashing with beat. . duh

Last edited:
Risers also help a lot. Simple simple. Get a nice synth patch, layer it up with the tonic and its octave or its fifth to thicken it up. drag it for the length of the riser. And then automate the pitch starting from low and rising to high from the start of the notes to the end.
I prefer to have no release too, as to cut it off for more impact, but that is not always necessary- it depends on what you are going for i suppose!

nice one mate thatl help

.... logic looks nice huh ....

Ya the tutorial is logic based but it really doesn't matter which DAW you use obviously

Risers also help a lot. Simple simple. Get a nice synth patch, layer it up with the tonic and its octave or its fifth to thicken it up. drag it for the length of the riser. And then automate the pitch starting from low and rising to high from the start of the notes to the end.
I prefer to have no release too, as to cut it off for more impact, but that is not always necessary- it depends on what you are going for i suppose!

I like to use the cymbal + reverse cymbal after it quite often

This method is one of the great ones, use this a lot. :D

Gotta say the best thing to when stuck on something like this is just to listen to a bunch of tracks, maybe even slip on into the daw and loop the shit outta one you like to figure out whats going on.. Takes away a lot of the guess work if you can dissect a tune audibly (y)

hmm good idea russia although i tend not to listen to pro stuff much as i try my hardest to create own style but your totaly right this is nesesescareserey (wee while since i was at school :/)

Open the Channel Settings of the Bassdrum to reverse and click the little square knob before 'Reverse'.

Just to add... reverb can be a powerful weapon here too.

For a classic ravey sound, add more or sweep the mix control on the reverb so you add reverb as the rise plays then cutting it short when the drop kicks in. You'll like that one...

Also, reverse reverb for getting that sucking/horror edge to a fill/rise. Play your sound through a reverb setting of your choice fully wet and record it. Reverse it and place before the original sound or just use it as is.

You can really add space doing this and you can always do the other suggestions in conjunction with this... say adding reverb to the synth going up in tunning before you run it through the filter... The main thing is to experiment linking techniques together. Try adding other FX that grow with the build, phaser is one that springs to mind... I'm even going to try that myself!

Peace

BNGMovingLogo01.gif

Lee Fury & JTB
http://soundcloud.com/biteandgouge

Back
Top Bottom