Multi Genre Dronezzzzz

D-Jhepz

◕‿◕
VIP Junglist
I did a search (here, google, all the music tutorial websites etc...) but nothing really comes up with any good and informative explanations about drones.

1. What are they?
2. What and how are they used, why are they used, what is the desired effect/ outcome etc...
3. How are they made (do you use them, for what, why etcc).

I remember reading once a while ago about them being a "background noise on which is the platform for the rest of the musical piece" but i never really understood nor really care... until i saw one of Drumsound & Bassline Smith's sample pack having 16 drone samples, which intrigued me. I then attempted to make one outta some dull bassy reverbed strings low-passed but couldn't see how to incorporated it into a production?

Aren't they kinda like pads?
Whenever I want long drawn out sounds, I timestretch the fuck out of random samples and tweak from there really. If you eq it properly it can be layered wherever you want I guess.

Yeah kinda like pads. A drone is any long sound that doesn't vary in pitch or modulation, it just...drones. Can be any tone, low or high. You'll find lots of songs, especially more minimal tunes use them to fill a space, they won't run throughout the entire song, just come in where necessary.

drones can be a subjective term really.. It's a sustained note played for x amount of time or number of bars, preferably a longer time lol..

ok so could some one help me out a bit now....

i have some old vocals ripped from radio with that distinctive crackling distortion all over it... i wanna try make this feel nature/ organic to the piece?

so far ive got a woodwind instrument on a rather low note heavy bit-crushed but still doesn't seem quite the same? any tips?

Back
Top Bottom