Drones

DjCartel

VIP Junglist
Basically in short, how do you establish the key of a drone? dunno if this has been asked, i couldnt find it.
So if i take an eerie noise from somewhere, stretch it out bare, add some effects and all that jazz to make a nice ambient drone, how do I then establish what key its in? Is it litrally just a case of playing notes to see what sits and then working out the key, or is there a simpler way? cos everytime i make said drones, i can never work out what i can play over them. thanks in advance and sorry if its already been asked

Last edited:
playing keys is a good way to find the note, but a lot of drones sort of resemble static or white noise meaning they cover a wide range of frequencies causing a type of unpitched dissonance. it depends on the style ofcourse, you dont need to have a key for your drone so much in a minor/dark tune because theyre meant to have a sort of ominous and uneasy edge to them which is unsettling. That being said, if you need a key centre for your drones, then create one from the scale you are using using reverb, processing, and perhaps resampling then reversing. that way you are sure what notes your drone came from originally because you made it. hope these ramblings help. xx

i guess your right about the unsettled sound in minimal techy tunes. ill try what you said making it out of a sound ive made and see how that goes. cheers for the tips lads!

Back
Top Bottom