driving across the sahara!!!!!! help wanted!!

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by the_evil_ginger, Oct 7, 2006.

1. the_evil_ginger

the_evil_ginger Member

i know that this may seem like a shameless plug.... amd to some extent you are right it is.....
    . however... in january, my other half is driving across the sahara in a very old transist van in the name of charity.......

i would very much appreciate any feedback or help from anyone who has done this or lives in africa or would just like to help it would be very much appreciated... any one who knows anything about africa or sponsorship please get in touch..........
    p.s all of the preparations and the event are being filmed for a tv documentary so any sponsorship........ would be endorsed by the credits......

most importantly though we are looking for any advice on how to cross the sahara and the atlas mountains on what can only be called a vintage transit camper van!!!!

(p.s for your own amusement there is also an old ice cream van doing the same trip.... and they have spent more money on tunes to play through the ice cream van classical speakers than they have the van!!!!!!!!!!!).. good luck to all competeing!!!!!!!!

i would love to go to more dnb events with my other half and not see him get squished by a land mine........ so any and all help and advice is appreciated...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. mesh

mesh Active Member

Re: diriving across the shara!!!!!! help wanted!!

well Ive not been to africa but Ive driven across australia a few times. spare water and petrol (in jerry cans), plenty of clothing, blankets for night time, avoid direct sunlight, check where you are camped for bugs, animals, ants. i could go on
    is she going to have a guide?

3. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

i spent a month in Egypt last year and my experience with the desert is that it's so hot during the day that your sweat evaporates instantly, and at night i slept under the stars wearing 2 pairs of jeans, a t-shirt, a hoody a blanket and a arctic sleeping bag! I didn't believe it, but the temperature difference at night is phenominal in the desert. The other thing is that you may want to take a spare engine or 2 cos if you're driving a Ford in those sorts of extreme conditions, it WILL break repeatedly.

also sunblock, lots of sunblock. purification tablets so that, if it comes to it, you can drink pond water.

This is a no-brainer but take sunglasses, the glare off white sand can be completly blinding and wont be good when driving!

Good luck, and God speed!! :D

4. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

You need a shitload of preparation to even try something like this. My friend does the Paris-Dakar every year and every year somebody (sometimes somebodies) dies trying to do it. He has been in hospital a dozen times, a couple of them in a coma.

Those guys that die are professional riders with a load of equipment (4 wheel drive vehicles that cost half a million and factory prepared one off bikes) and support teams (helicopters, gps emergency systems). Do not try this if you are not prepared and reading your post, she is not. Especially do not try this with a vehicle that is not a 4wd survival monster (Land Rover/Toyota - a Ford is not an option because you won't find parts - and you better have an experienced mechanic along). An old Transit will not survive the trip.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:az-0zIosSacJ:www.swindsor.k12.ct.us/Schools/tems/teachers/swierczynski/sahara.htm+crossing+the+sahara&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

Honestly I think your other half is suicidal. Every time my friend goes (with pro sponsorship and more preparation than the Apollo landings), he wonders whether he'll survive the trip.

It might be fun, it might be for charity, but think!

5. the_evil_ginger

the_evil_ginger Member

i should of mentioned before that it is the plymouth dakar rally that they are doing... they've set a myspace which explains it better than i .. www.myspace.com/teamtowrope....
    however i think you are right.... he is a bit suicidal.:eek: ......... but i'm not the kinda of girlfriend that is going to try and stop him...........

just as i am crap with cars (other than repaetedly crashing them) i am not much help to him.......

purification tablets sound good... where can they be got from?

6. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

yeah, ok, it is dangerous and all, but thing is that Paris - dakar is a race, which means cars/bikes/trucks actually travel round 100mph on the desert..hence, accidents and shit...
    not saying that even at walking speed would make it any safer, but you propably got less chances of crashing if you take it easy, as in a charity race..
    best of luck to your boyfriend..make sure to have him write a will before he goes on his trip...
    or even better, have him sign a blank piece of paper, and reassure him you'll take care of everything, like the good girlfriend you are..!

:teeth:
    :D:D

7. the_evil_ginger

the_evil_ginger Member

or even better, have him sign a blank piece of paper, and reassure him you'll take care of everything, like the good girlfriend you are..!

:teeth:
    :D:D[/quote]

sounds like a plan..... he does have a green vintage bug which i have had my eye for a while,,,, but he won't let me drive.....!!!!!!!!!!:cheerlead