Drill-like reeses...

ApeCat

Human Dubplate
VIP Junglist
Like in Noisia / Foreign Beggars - No Holds Barred and like a million other tunes.

How do they work and how do I create them?

Like in Noisia / Foreign Beggars - No Holds Barred and like a million other tunes.

How do they work and how do I create them?

I've been trying for a while but haven't managed to get there yet but have managed to start getting some similar sounding stuff. I have been making a reese adding a bandpass filter, phaser and a distortion unit, then loads of automation on the frequency cut off of the bandpass filter to get the movement in there. Haven't got much further than that myself!

Interestingly I was playing around with duplicate records on me turntables and I remember that that's how the original tape flangers worked...except with tape. The idea is that the pitch is slightly different on each record so the go "out of phase" - this will sound like the downward sweep. The fun part is when you adjust the slower record's pitch up so that it catches up and "crosses zero". That zero cross moment sounds epics in analog (think shpongle / old psychedelic rock). But that's a pain in the ass...though I might see if I can do it with a4-track -

Anyway, in Reason's NN-XT or ANY sampler just make two copies of your reese and detune them - you'll get a much smoother more satisfying flanging effect (you'll have to automate the pitch on the slower one so that it catches up again.)

That probably won't help with the sound you're talking about anyway!!! Can't really help you there, Noisia are like aliens or something. There's all sorts of weird stories about the acoustic stuff they do with mics, amps, rooms.

I'll have a listen to that record and get back to you, it would be TIGHT to figure out some kind of formula for this stuff!

- J.P.

seppo is this a how do i noisia bass thread? it is isnt it.

It's a fuck off you partysvenske in exile thread in a minute if you don't watch it, mate, the sound is in my guilty pleasure tune as well!!

Okay, so you kind of caught me red handed, but I'm not looking for the whole morphing wooohuaaamphgaaarrrbl!! effect, just need my synthesizer to sound like a power tool is all. [/defensive] [/butthurt]

Not a bad idea, I recently tried sampling this.. well, it's impossible to explain, but it's a theatre prop made from a windscreen wiper motor with a different bits of a bottle, a piece of wood and some weird plastic sponge material glued and / or gaffer taped to it. It made an incredible "nasty bass" sound when the rubber sponge part dragged across a plexiglass surface covered in water.

I'm on tour so the only "recording equipment" I have available is my fucking phone and it records in this fucked up format which nothin on my computer will recognize and I have no idea how to convert it into wav or whatever...

Try making a reece, one octave lower. beeeyotch! It gives it that "drill" sound, almost like you can hear the revolutions the soundwaves are doing, like a power tool. I can demonstrate if anyone asks.

steady on seppo boy sonny jim me lad son lad. i fully sympathise, i know beauty and where love comes from, and underst‘and that defensive butthurt hicksville trailerpark norwegian sexual advances, come on champ hunker down and lets get this money foo. what synth are you working with, do you have an audio example of where you wanna go and last but not least audio example. youre in reason are you?
im sure you are familiar with the normal recipe for a reece, 2 detuned saw, overdrive, lowpass, chorus, dist, frequency split. and portamento! very important.

FL Studio 9 I think, 3xOsc. I'll post the track I'm working on ATM as an example of where I do'nt want to be.

The reese I've got going there is all sorts of fucked up; 2 detuned saws with a lower volume [and possibly lower octave..] square at the bottom, low passed, frequency split, then different effects thrown into the different frequencies at my fancy, only porta on the high frequency ting, got some flanger, phaser, chorus, different distortions and shit going on all over the place.

Really got into things after the sixth or seventh beer, lol.

That tune what I posted a link to two posts back is a pretty classic example of what I wish to acchieve...

Last edited:
i can do nearly anything with 3xosc but that netsky rusko tune is a classic massive sound so being that i wouldnt want a sound like that on my tune for love nor money and therefore couldnt know how to acheive such a sound i think you should turn to massive vsti. also thats hardly a reece, those are distorted synth chords.

Back
Top Bottom