Dr. Ophalus's Debut Tune On This Forum

Reapa

Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
524
Likes
3
#2
is that intro really meant to be like? dont know wether its a bad connection or what but it sounds well distorted. Dont like the intro if thats how its meant to be. Drums sound abit distorted aswell but the tunes quite heavy itself. just think the drums and intro needs to be sorted mang. Peace :confused:
 
D

Dr. Ophalus

Guest
#3
Yes my friend that is how it is supposed to sound. The beat is distorted, and it took me a while to master it so it is OK for the ear. The hi hats are influenced from early computer game sounds using actual noise to create the sound.

90% of my intros are designed to do your head in. They tend to go well when mixing actually.

So you think it's heavy except for the drums?
 

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
Messages
12,707
Likes
17
#4
Things that jumped out while listening.
  • Intro is [too] long
  • Bassline doesn't make me want to move or go OMFG this tune rawnXX
  • Drums sound really digital? No roll? I guess that's what you were going for though
  • Gets a bit better when the bassline changes towards the end
  • That 'waaaaarrrrrrh' sound is used way to much
That's about it really, take it or leave it, my .02
 

Reapa

Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
524
Likes
3
#5
Dr. Ophalus said:
Yes my friend that is how it is supposed to sound. The beat is distorted, and it took me a while to master it so it is OK for the ear. The hi hats are influenced from early computer game sounds using actual noise to create the sound.

90% of my intros are designed to do your head in. They tend to go well when mixing actually.

So you think it's heavy except for the drums?
fair play if thats the way u want it man but it aint very pleasing to the ear. well not to me anyway. tune aint bad, just abit different.
 
D

Dr. Ophalus

Guest
#6
Things that jumped out while listening.
What does that mean? Very curious.

The drums are digital-sounding yes. What do you mean by roll?

Cheers for the feedback mate. What sort of DnB artists do you go for when buying tunes, I'd like to know where you're coming from.

:gaywhite:
 

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
Messages
12,707
Likes
17
#7
Dr. Ophalus said:
What does that mean? Very curious.

The drums are digital-sounding yes. What do you mean by roll?

Cheers for the feedback mate. What sort of DnB artists do you go for when buying tunes, I'd like to know where you're coming from.

:gaywhite:
The list I provided were things that I thought of while listening to you're tune. That's what I mean by 'jumped out'.

Most producers try to keep the analogue phatness in their beats, along with the roll and funk of funk drum loops.

I like a varied selection of harder Drum & Bass, this includes Keaton, Raiden, Pendulum, Loxy, Ink, Spor, Final Reckoning, Dillinja, the list goes on.
 
D

Dr. Ophalus

Guest
#8
I see your style, Equinox and Silent Witness you must enjoy?

What do you make of names such as Twisted Individual, Zen, Hazard, Baron, Generation Dub? A lot of my influences are from the jumpy side of DnB, along with Aphex Twin and Squarepusher (Warp Records).

I also have a darker side, which I will put up in a few days.

I'd love for you to describe 'analogue fatness' to me please. You refer to my tune as if I was using a funky beat?
 

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
Messages
12,707
Likes
17
#9
Dr. Ophalus said:
I see your style, Equinox and Silent Witness you must enjoy?

What do you make of names such as Twisted Individual, Zen, Hazard, Baron, Generation Dub? A lot of my influences are from the jumpy side of DnB, along with Aphex Twin and Squarepusher (Warp Records).

I also have a darker side, which I will put up in a few days.

I'd love for you to describe 'analogue fatness' to me please. You refer to my tune as if I was using a funky beat?
I enjoy Equinox and Silent Witness, but they're not my favourites.

I like all Drum & Bass, including Twisted Individual + co. I think Baron is in a different league of his own though.

Yeah your tune is a bit of a mix and match, tough distorted beats with a typical, dare I say it, 'wobble' bassline.

I'm saying you're tune does not have a funky beat, it's far from it, very militant. Listen to Keaton's breaks, they have the funk I'm talking about, they roll so well. Keaton and Hive's 'Bring It On' break springs to mind.
 
D

Dr. Ophalus

Guest
#10
I see what you mean by roll now. It is militant I agree, it was made to be sort of 'do-your-head-in'.

I think the tune needs some valve EQ'ing, valve compressing and some Culture Vulture.
 
D

Dr. Ophalus

Guest
#12
Thank you Cube. I know exactly what you mean about the intro, but it is a personal thing that really does sound good when mixed with something else. Piercing filter isn't it? Ouch!

:devilslay
 

jay walker

1/2 of Passive/Aggressive
VIP Junglist
Messages
3,882
Likes
9
#15
Dr. Ophalus said:
All good, will check when I get home, cant listen to audio at work no more - btw, phoniclive aint shit, they jus got server probs atm, Ive had mixes & tracks of the site for a year or so, an aint had no problems up until 2 weeks ago, i have it on good authority itll be sorted in a few weeks
:pimp:
 
Top