Drum & Bass Double dropping

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by FoulMouth, Dec 10, 2012.

1. FoulMouth

FoulMouth New Member

Now I love a good double drop but where do you draw the line?

I was messing around at the weekend and got through so many tracks in a hour because I literally had every tune double dropping. Is this a good idea?

A friend did a 2 hour set and got through around 25-30 tracks I did an hour and got through 30-35 tracks, as listeners how often would you like to hear tunes double drop?

2. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

selection selection selection.

if u play a good track you can let it roll for a while without getting bored.
    tbh .. me personally.. i dont wanna hear drop after drop after drop.
    its a blueprint mix and only the tracks are different. gets boring.
    vary your set with some differnt techniques. make it interesting.

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

QFT.

Changing up the style of mixing keeps the listener interested from my previous experience.
    Double after double after double can sometimes get quite monotonous.

4. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I find it depends. I try to switch it up a bit. Some 2nd drops on tracks don't really sound good when double dropped. Especially when they have 1 or 2 bars of drums missing at the drop.

5. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

people think cause you got your andy c's/ frictions ... you should be on 3 deck madness double drop's galore. which is good.

but personally id rather listen to a mix that rolls. not one that stays in for 10 seconds. also i like a nice sudden switch.

depends what ur into. i much prefer selection to speed of mixes or 11 tunes playing at once!

6. charlie131

charlie131 Well-Known Member

all depends on how bored you get really, if you can play out a tune till the second drop then blend in another one, all good, I get bored so double drop most of the time..

However this only really applies to dnb... house music i let the tunes roll as i feel its more about selection than creating madness

7. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

if every transition or most are double drops, the mix gets just boring. for me at least. try to be unpredictable with your mixes.

8. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

I love a decent double drop. Seems like a lot of people (myself included i'll admit) double drop tunes that just arent good enough together to be double dropped. Theyre doing it for the sake of it just to show they can double drop rather than save it for the really decent mixes.

Saying that, if structured well and tunes are selected carefully you can lay down a ridiculous set with double drop after double drop after double drop.

9. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Member

I think double dropping makes life easier especially where intros/break downs are concerned. Doing it constantly gets boring though. Also some tunes sound better when not double dropped. For instance you can drop one tune whilst having the second build up for 32 bars which can give a sick build up effect.

Other than that unexpected switches can get the crowd going 'oh shit' and dropping a tune over the vocal of another can give a big effect. All about playing around imo.

10. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Yeh all about variation as said. Its too easy to double drop everything and mega lacks creativity. Teases and switching every 32 bars is how ive been mixing on 3 decks recently, then say after a big selection of b2b tunes with no breakdowns I let it roll out a bit.

Id say the possibilities are endless but unfortunately they are not with mixing lol!