Double Dropping

well asssuming you can beat mix well already, just figure out where the two drops are going to intersect if you are playing both channels and time it from there. You need to know your tunes fairly well
EQing so there's no bass-clash overload is also important, levels

big up :twitch:

Yeah, just as said as above :ditto:. You gotta know your tracks pretty well. Try starting with two songs you wanna double drop. Start playin' them at the same time (already having the beats matched) and see which track drops first or if your lucky, they drop at the same time alredy. After you figured that out, you can prolly guess where to start the other track at to be in sequence with the other. It's pretty easy. (y)

listen to ya tunes too, theres normally a lil sumthing<--(cant think of the word) in the tune before the break, mix it off these till u find wch one drops!!

Also visually look at your vinyl. You should distinctly be able to see where a breakdown starts and a where it drops. You should be able to judge the distances on the plate and soon be able to double drop regularly barred tracks quite easily.
In other circumstances where the drop may not occur for an extra 2 or so bars, you will need to know this previously to compensate for the extra bars.

As always practice, practise practise..........

EQ FOR FUCKS SAKE !!!!
no really, theres nothin worse than two tunes dropping together at full blast, no matter how good their beatmached...one bassline needs to stand out slightly more than the other. What i quite enjoy is playin around with the b-lines, takin one out an dropping in the other...
:rolf:

mr gordo is right, many a time wen i was learnin did i fuck up the bassline harshly!

learnt that to be the most important part of my mixin now too, not jus double droppin

You've hit the spot gordo

my tip is to avoid double dropping tunes that both have basses with a lot of midrange as you'll often get a key clash.

Try to play a tune that has something the other tune lacks. Like a tune with a real basic break over a tune with a mad break, or a real techy tune under some oldskool. Works a treat and not only that it keeps the set more varied.

I think also just doing a quick switch by having the tune mixed in the headphones then suddenly bringing the other tune in underneath can be as good as a double drop as you catch the crowd unawares

DJFlexie said:
listen to ya tunes too, theres normally a lil sumthing<--(cant think of the word) in the tune before the break, mix it off these till u find wch one drops!!

Exactly right. Only problem is if you play a whole set like that, it can be a little predictable/tedious.

It's all about this for smoove mixing tho. Thing I've been playing around with lately to find good combos is have a tune playing with a fairly simple break, then dropping a Paradox tune or summat similar in there for proper hectic snare business. Sounds awesome on the little breakdowns/fills with snares flying everywhere, good for chopping about with as well..

inf0r said:
It's all about this for smoove mixing tho. Thing I've been playing around with lately to find good combos is have a tune playing with a fairly simple break, then dropping a Paradox tune or summat similar in there for proper hectic snare business. Sounds awesome on the little breakdowns/fills with snares flying everywhere, good for chopping about with as well..

Paradox
Our Future Is Extinction/Curse Of Coincidence

:builder: heavy tunes

Back
Top Bottom