Don't you just love mixing House?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Sicx, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Serious, its just so easy and fun to mix. My laptops in for repair so Im just using VirtualDJ and going through a whole load of house i've got on my old pc. It's just a nice simple genre to mix, and you can have a right load of fun experimenting with double drops and mixing other genres in with it, just found 2 tracks that can play over each other from start to finish no probs. Been doing a constant mix for about 2 hours now and find it really relaxing. Anyone else like to calm themselves down by mixing some nice steady house/techno?

2. Krispy

Krispy Member

Must agree, I do love house

3. DJ Summit

DJ Summit Member

i do it sometimes but i get bored mixing this style of music real quick

4. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

Never tried to do so....
    Might get into it though...

5. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

i dont really like house lol or techno, or dance lol. have mixed it a couple of times but def not my cup of tea. i love angry dirty dnb any day.

6. D Double U

D Double U FQ Sessions

I have had a few residencies with house/rnb...its fun to mix but not for as long as the set times are (4 hours minimum in most bars/clubs)

7. TheGambit

TheGambit Member

House is all good, grew up on it before hardcore and jungle. Beatmatching DnB has less margin for error than mixing house and techno IMO. House and Techno DJ's tend to like mixers with rotary faders for smoother transitions.

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Purveyor of fine antiques

I learnt how to mix playing hardcore techno and gabber, so with house it seems like I have got 17 years to beatmatch and even then I can have a little nap before my next cue point. Slightly boring, but if you like doing smooth, 2 minute long mixes then I can see why it's enjoyable.
    Learning to mix with hardcore techno and gabber has had it's advantages as in there has been nothing I have picked up and couldn't mix. A few mates of mine who play different stuff have problems moving from genre to genre.
    The only problem I had was starting to play dnb last year, not having an obvious kickdrum to be precise with was a bit unusual at first, but mixing with a breakbeat is a bit more challenging and gives you a lot more creative freedom to cut and chop with.

9. nafe1

nafe1 sea turtles mate

i learned to mix with house music, it is quite fun i must agree, but i feel that you cant be as adventurous as you can be with say....drum and bass

10. Rubs90

Rubs90 KeyControl

it seems a lot easier to be honest (although i've never tried it)

i see most big names house dj's and all they do is go from one song to another, most of the times not even getting the bars right.. and beatmatching should be easier I guess

i'm just saying this because my country is riddled with house music and i've heard most top name dj's without being a big fan of it

11. zoomy

zoomy funky chunky

When I first got my decks I started with house to get to know the real basics of everything and get a bit of understanding for beatmatching, but since the day after its dnb only. When I want to relax I take out some deeep liquid and do some ultralong transitions, sounds usually shit when recorded, but nice on your headphones when you mix it ;)

Plus, I'm quite picky about house music so I never would have the time to listen to all this shitload of house that is getting released these days to find the very few tunes I really love in house music. It's hard enough to do that with dnb already! :D

12. fevezz

fevezz nom nom nom nom!

yup! :D

13. alz

alz compress to impress

I love mixing house, its so fun switching and cutting different parts of the song, you have to be really sharp and know your tunes too cos a lot of the tunes have gash breakdowns and intros, lots of fun tho!

14. Junglist_007

Junglist_007 learning difficulties

This

15. pitts

pitts Member

i mainly just mix all things house at the min

love starting mixes off wi progressive house then going to tech house then just going on a rollercoaster ride between bleep house fidget and electro and dropping a bit of dubstep in between some proper wonky fidget

16. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Yeah this, alot of the stuff im not too keen on, I also dont keep up to date with it so its a case of going through Juno or Beatport and listening to random tracks that I think look good...

17. funkmod

funkmod Member

18. MistaNoize

MistaNoize Mistanoize.com

love mixing club classics 1996-- 2003 ish

19. slugoffice

slugoffice ribs !

love mixing house ! stimming is so siiiiiiick !!
    anyone else got any faovourite artists?? x

20. dnbsoldier87

dnbsoldier87 Member

its so easy, not alot going on in it, makes you sound like a house andy c, even if from time to time u make the odd mistake mixing gods music (drum and bass).