Don't think i'm an idiot, but..............

Discussion in 'Production' started by Thephonebook, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Thephonebook

Thephonebook New Member

Hi everybody, just joined this site today, I have just started making drum and bass, also today,
    I know a bit about synthesis, and music production in general but I do not understand some of the terms people are using.
    Can someone give me a good explaination of what a Reece is???, I read something Noisia had written and they said they use them heavily but didn'nt explain what they were.

Cheers guys

2. glenemy

glenemy Enemy is here

hi I struggle with termenology also, but i'd imagine it's some sort of synth or something

3. glenemy

glenemy Enemy is here

Also I just read about something suggesting it is a bassline/overused sample/patch, dunno if that's any help

4. MARLZTAH

MARLZTAH ++DuB PrOFesSoR++

5. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

I've been trying to make a resse in fruity.. I've been trying to use wasp. I can't make sense out of many of those previous posts as i dont know how the fuck to "Detune an Osscilator" All i see is coarse fine and some other shit. How exactly do you detune it?

6. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

fine

7. Thephonebook

Thephonebook New Member

Detuning oscilators is easy, every subtracive synth has a way of detuning its oscilators from each other using fine tuning which will be in cents , I was just asking for the defintion of a reece, is it a pumping sound which is created with modulation? is it created by a resampling method/technique? A sample of a reece audio stem would I think be usefull for everyone here, so is there anyone out there that can help? I am not trying to be a smart ass, I just really want tot know what the defintion of this term is.

8. MARLZTAH

MARLZTAH ++DuB PrOFesSoR++

basic reece......

get out a 3xosc, set the first and second oscs to triangle waves and turn the third one down. set the crs of the second osc to match the first, and turn the "fine" of the second very slighty. put it onto a free fx track and distort it. then put to fruity sends on the fx track, send one to send1 and the other to send2. turn down the "dry" volume on the second send, now both send tracks should be of equal volume and there should be no sound coming out of the original fx track.
    now put a fruity free filter on each of the send tracks, set on to a high pass, and the other to a low pass, turn the q down on both filters and tweak the frequency of each filter till it sounds good to you.

thats how i do it anyway :2thumbs:

9. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

Appreciate that post... need to get the hang of sends never used it before o_O

10. Thephonebook

Thephonebook New Member

Examples of reeces? I have gatherd it is related to the bass sound but I still havnt got a clue what the term means.

11. SIRUS

SIRUS 変なひと

HIYA!

12. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

A REESE is a bass sound which has been detuned and distorted, and often with a LFO'd filter or a phazer to give it some movement in the sound. Loads of different ways to make a Reese and they all make different sounds, but it usually consists of using a 3xOsc or similar vst, detuning 1 or more of the waves and then adding distortion. It was named the Reese after Kevin 'Reese' Saunderson first created it in some of his tracks.

I like to make a subtle Reese by taking a nice clean sample of a sub bass, cloning it twice to make three sub basses, detuning the first and adding blood overdrive and phazer, tweaking it then meshing it together with compression and a limiter.
    The cool thing about doing it this way is you can change the notes of each layer of the bass, so you can create cool harmonic sounding Reeses.

I think the simple explaination you want is that a Reese is a bass sound that has been detuned and distorted. Examples of classic Reese basses are Ed Rush & Optical - Bacteria and Tech Itch - Elevation

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  13. Thephonebook

Thephonebook New Member

Cheers Indi, that was exactly what I was after.

14. Toejam

Toejam OOOBEY DOOBEY

if you search under "reason tutorial" or something like that on youtube there is a dutch bloke teaching you how to to the reese sound

Quite good actually

"shmoke and a pancake?":clown: