Doing my first remix for an artist, somewhat established. Anything I should ask etc?

manirios

Hi all,

I've volunteered to do a remix for a somewhat established artist (as in they have releases on iTunes, up and coming etc). No contract or anything signed. Just wondering what I should clear up? I would still want to promote the track on my own websites etc.

I don't know how this process goes so would appreciate any advice from others who have been through the experience?

Thanks,

Re: Doing my first remix for an artist, somewhat established. Anything I should ask

Are you expecting pay? If so, get them to draw out a contract! Either arrange a flat fee or a percentage in sales.

Re: Doing my first remix for an artist, somewhat established. Anything I should ask

Are you expecting pay? If so, get them to draw out a contract! Either arrange a flat fee or a percentage in sales.

I wasn't expecting pay tbh as it's my first. I am however worried about the implications of doing or asking nothing and just handing over a remix!

Best bet, if its your first, do it for free i reckon (others will disagree).

To be honest, i woulkdnt ask much, i'd just bring my own style to their tune. Shouldnt be many questions that need asking.

i wouldn't wait for a written contract as most are done on a verbal agreement. If there is going to be money involved agree before you start it.

It might also be best to ask when the deadline is and also for them to give you a brief so you don't waste three weeks doing some epic ambient drone only for them to say they wanted something completely different.

Also remember that you don't own the copyright to your remix so any promotion you want to do with it pre-release it would be best to ok with the label.

(y)

Also remember that you don't own the copyright to your remix so any promotion you want to do with it pre-release it would be best to ok with the label.

(y)

Surely the label wouldnt have a problem with you promoting a track that they are making money from? Or have i missed something?

Surely the label wouldnt have a problem with you promoting a track that they are making money from? Or have i missed something?

Some of the labels want to take care of all the promotion by themselves as far as I'm aware, hence they might not be okay with it. It's always better to ask before you do something like that :)

I dont know any label managers that would be happy with you uploading any tune you wrote 6 months in advance of release to post on your social networks.

Always best to check if its pre-release, and if its a half decent label they will usually have a promotion schedule where its all taken care of so you wouldn't have to bother doing it yourself.

I dont know any label managers that would be happy with you uploading any tune you wrote 6 months in advance of release to post on your social networks.

Always best to check if its pre-release, and if its a half decent label they will usually have a promotion schedule where its all taken care of so you wouldn't have to bother doing it yourself.

Fair point. I didnt think of that.

Mantrax, Listen to Rockwell ;). He's obviously been doing something right last few years lol.

Thanks guys for the responses.

Rockwell you pointed out some important Q's to ask, thanks.

As a sidenote, I really must change my username as I now go by the artist name "Outway" . Anybody know how I go about it - contact a particular mod?

I'll change your name for the low down price of 50 euros

Rockwell? Never heard of them. Don't listen.

Back
Top Bottom