Doing it the old way

Ran

Ok, i ve spent many hours on this those last days but i will try to make it short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ThhFQqI0dY Here is a beautyfull track from AI.
I 'd like to create the same type of drums line ( like AI, Future engineers and stuff) but i m wondering if i m doing it right.
My main problem is with the shuffle.

Here is what i tried to do until now.

-Take an old funk break (commodore assemblyline)
- put it in ableton live in a audio track
- Make it 170 bpm with warps
- slice it (kick / snare / shuffle) and divide it in several audio tracks
- Boost the Kick with compression and some EQ works ( more or less ok)
- Layer the snare with another one to get a punchy feeling + eq and stuff
- EQ (and a bit of delay) on the shuffle (try some pitch down and up too) + some work on the sound envelop too

Yet it doesn t sound ok. Especially for the shuffle part, it sounds muddy and not really groovy ( sample problem ?)

Can you see something i clearly did wrong or is this just a lack of practice and experience ( EQ/Compression) ?
Any advices/hint to give about it ? (yn) Anyone for an analysis of AI drums ?

m(_ _)m

If you sliced the break to drum rack, play around with the ADSR on the shuffles. A little less decay and a smooth attack keeps them in check. I think the delay might be an issue here, unless used with subtlety. If you find yourself working on this for too long, just drag some shakers, hats. what ever into the rack and replace the samples. No need killing yourself if the sounds just aren't nice. I usually duplicate the drum rack and use one just for shuffles and hats , then side chain to the snare (subtlety). . . to get some bounce to them.

Thank you cohma will try it !

Edit : stupid question, the answer was in your post sorry

Edit : Ok quick report, i took the shuffle from the amen break, side chained it with the snare and it was great help. One step in the right direction !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom