Does this need a reese?

While I like the sound of your snare, I have to admit that's about the only thing I really like about this track. It's extremely monotonous. The intro is way too long; without a buildup, no FX, an over use of the vocal samples and it just lacks stuff. While later on it becomes better, the bass lacks loudness and room and I can't barely hear the sub. For my taste, there is not enough variety.

I really don't mean to be harsh, while I am no pro myself, I have practiced producing for over 5 years now and learned a lot in process. So please don't take this the wrong way.

What I would suggest, is to take one of your favourite tracks, throw it in your DAW and copy the composition, with your own FX and synths. That's how I started and I still do that, when I run out of ideas.

How long have you been producing?

While I like the sound of your snare, I have to admit that's about the only thing I really like about this track. It's extremely monotonous. The intro is way too long; without a buildup, no FX, an over use of the vocal samples and it just lacks stuff. While later on it becomes better, the bass lacks loudness and room and I can't barely hear the sub. For my taste, there is not enough variety.

I really don't mean to be harsh, while I am no pro myself, I have practiced producing for over 5 years now and learned a lot in process. So please don't take this the wrong way.

What I would suggest, is to take one of your favourite tracks, throw it in your DAW and copy the composition, with your own FX and synths. That's how I started and I still do that, when I run out of ideas.

How long have you been producing?

Cheers for listening and posting feedback. I don't take this as harsh - I appreciate no-nonsense honesty.

I'll give that composition exercise a go (there's also a dnb builder in the new CM mag I'm going to try out). I'm two years in overall with a few months on dnb.

Just keep going man, but at the beginning I really suggest copying, don't reinvent the wheel until you got a solid basis.

Hey there,

I'll be completely honest: I didn't like how the snare sounds. I know many songs have this kind of pitched up snare and all, but it seems too light to my taste. It reminds me of a cowbell.

And, as said above, variation is your friend here. Change the notes being played by the bass, change the order of the hits in the drums. Get more vocal samples and play with them. Distort them over time, lowpass, put some nasty delays. Also, don't forget the stereo imaging: everything seems too centered. You can use percussion hits on both sides, you can put your hats a little more to one of the sides as well. The vocal lines can also be on sides. Be creative in a way that the song feels around the listener. If you do so, once the track is finished, mono it and check it there are any phasing issues. If not, there you go!

I hope I helped.

Back
Top Bottom