Does Skrillex mix down his tracks?

Discussion in 'UK Underground' started by dafo93, May 10, 2012.

1. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

Just something that I think is slightly weird...I once saw an interview with him where he said "All I need to produce are some headphones and a laptop", and a clip showed him at work in a hotel room using those Beats headphones and a Macbook. The mixdowns on his tunes are ridiculously good, so I'm beginning to think that he sends the stems away to get mixed...which is a massive shame, because I always held him in very high regard as a producer...you guys reckon he mixes his own stuff?

2. neddez

neddez Member

i dont have an opinion

but there's a 'conspiracy theory' that most of Skrillex's production 'skills' came from other people on mau5trap

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  3. fractal

fractal Well-Known Member

who gives a fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

mortem recently said that hed been using headphones up till now, and some of his tunes are big.

but ye, skrillex probably hops down to some studio and mixes down with some guys who know what theyre doing, just what id guess no fact based opinions here.

4. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Oh. Another skrillex thread.

yawn.

5. Mr G

Mr G Old Cunt From 19 Longtime

I remember about a month ago Mistajam was tweeting something about Skrillex and his Mixdowns using Beats headphones.

Not sure what model of Beats he uses, top of the range ones i guess, but i remember Mistajam tweeting 'I do now understand why @Skrillex does his mixdowns on a pair of Beats though...!

I think Jam now uses the same headphones.

6. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

He probably does do his own mixdowns to some extent if not completely. But getting someone else to do a mix down isnt a bad thing. Often a set of fresh ears to mix down your tune is exactly what is needed. But what your trying to say is.... that becuase someone else has mixed down his tunes that he isnt as good a producer as you thought... well..... you cant polish a turd. If its not good in the first place then it will never be good. Most top end producers have someone to mix down their tracks and often master them at the same time. I know for a fact that TeeBee and several other top names now send all their stuff to Octane from Octane & DLR to mix down and master as quite frankly... his set up is pretty fukin impressive!

And with regards to the Beats headphones... they are fukin sick. I dont know why people seem to hate on them. Probably cause they cant afford the real ones and simply take the easier option of calling them shit... i mean.. they are made by Monster Audio... one of THE best headphone manufacturers in the business... FACT. So it doesnt surprise me that people are now using the top end Beats headphones to write tunes on.... plus... everyone has them.... I was once told that if you ever want to make a "pop" tune... make sure its sounds good on iPod headphones and through a shitty radio.... as 90% of the people who will listen to it will listen to it via those means...

anyway... Skrillex is a wicked producer. End of. I still enjoy hating him though... the smarmy goth faced rat. :teeth:

T:M likes this.
  7. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

the average hawk moth lives up to three weeks before dieing.

8. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

I know David Guetta is making all of Skrillex┬┤s tracks.

9. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

In regards to the Beats hating.. Beats studios are sick. But severely overpriced. For my pair 2 years ago on release for 140 quid cos my mate had a code to use at the apple store where he worked.
    Well worth 150 odd quid, but no way worth the 400 quid price.

The bass and noise cancellation is phenomenal.

Fuck using em for mixing and shit though.

They're build quality is pretty terrible too, headband is prone to snapping and easily warps. And the screws round the sides always come loose/fall out completely.

10. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Writing music is a seperate skill to sound engineering, its a bit daft to expect all muscians to be able to do both perfectly, even tho allot do, I think its fair to say that most muscians/producers would be very grateful to have a professional sound engineer work on their music....hence the reason that producers dont do their own mastering for release