Does my drums suck?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Kopacetic, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Kopacetic

Kopacetic Member

2. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

They're not awful, but there's a lot you could improve in them. Try learning how to add subtle saturation or overdrive to certain elements to help give them some more character. Also parallel compression would help gel it all together better

Kopacetic likes this.
  3. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

4. Deluded

Deluded New Member

Dont think they sound too bad tbh.... if u havent already, you could set up a Drum group bus/aux and then process them in parallel using fx like compression and reverb. Parallel compression especially is good for bringing a more natural feel and energy to drums. A good plugin for this is the Waves 'Krammer PIE' . With reverb i like to filter out alot of the low end maybe even above 1khz, depending on what track your mixing them with... and sometimes even add some pumping compression on top (slow attack - fast release) which can great some interesting movement. All about experimenting and applying things like this in different ways to suit the track your working with.
    hope this helps :)

Mason John and Kopacetic like this.
  5. dbjungle

dbjungle DJ Syklone

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been producing. I wouldn't say they sound really bad, they actually sound way better than I would expect given the question asked. There's always room for improvement. If you haven't been at it for a long time then you should feel very encouraged by your progress. It took me forever to get a grasp of the basics of dnb drum production.

I agree with parallel compression. It's a great technique. I'm working to improve my skills with it too. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk