Does having a bad name....

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
effect the the popularity? Google Neonlight... I will wait. Now try state of mind. What do you get. Now try googling Three dimentions, state of mind, neonlight, what you get? This.
Why is this track over a year ago not ripping up the discusion. Is this just opinion that this song should be a classic? Or is it just not well known enough? If Skillex did this we would be arguing over how good the track was and what a sell out he is. Or am I wrong? Also do you have a song that is just tits but you feel it did not get the notoriety it deserved(POST it)? I have to admit this has been my favorite song for some time now. It kinda pises me off that the whole world is not in love with the song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this just opinion that this song should be a classic? Or is it just not well known enough?

never even heard it before tbh, doesn't do much for me personally....don't particularly like the vocal/lyrics or the squelchy ass bassline, just my opinion though - each to their own!

wouldn't say it affects popularity but i would say it can affect exposure somewhat

an economist did a study on peoples' real names a few years back and the names did have some influence on success

Well it appears that by popular consensus that I was jus ranting about something dumb. Any way thanks for letting me know.

Well for bad names... DJ SS. I don't think any of the mentioned ones are any bad? State Of Mind is pretty cool if you ask me. I guess having a decent artist name is quite important but not essential, you chose it and stick to it and people know it and it grows on. London Elektricity is actually pretty random if you think about it. Same for Shock One and pretty much all names, look at Feed Me and Flux Pavillion? They're just names, just like track titles - who cares, as long as the tunes are good.
Even though... There are really cool names like High Contrast - Return Of Forever, really fits the tune and the artist. Contradictory post in weird thread √

Well for bad names... DJ SS. I don't think any of the mentioned ones are any bad? State Of Mind is pretty cool if you ask me. I guess having a decent artist name is quite important but not essential, you chose it and stick to it and people know it and it grows on. London Elektricity is actually pretty random if you think about it. Same for Shock One and pretty much all names, look at Feed Me and Flux Pavillion? They're just names, just like track titles - who cares, as long as the tunes are good.
Even though... There are really cool names like High Contrast - Return Of Forever, really fits the tune and the artist. Contradictory post in weird thread √
I hate to sound like a politician but I very well may of miss spoke when I said bad name. What I was trying to get at was that the name State of Mind is such a popular saying that if you search the name on google the Drum and Bass group is even a a top search. A salon is. Same thing with neonlight.
So where I live in the US drum and bass is not a known form of music. It is not on the radio. It is not what is being played at all the best clubs. It is a weird form of music, when compared to pop culture. So finding good music where I live, and have lived has always been a case of serendipity. I have known about State of Mind for years but only because I love concord dawn. Also the same thing back in 2007 and 2008ish I was trying to Viper on the internet. I just found a bunch of snakes. However, if you have a unique name it seems that you are easier to come by. Thanks again everybody for your feedback.

Was talking to the boss of a major dnb label the other week (no names!) and he said (quote): "The name is the first thing I see, and sometimes, if it's shit, I won't even bother listening. Also, you have to take into account their hype on Facebook and Soundcloud...sometimes, that's enough to make me pay attention."

Back
Top Bottom