Does anybody mix other genres?

Afek_One

VIP Junglist
I really just haven't been feeling dnb for the last few months. I still buy tunes. I still mix dnb, but I'm just not feeling it. I recorded a tight mix last week and didn't even bother uploading it. The whole approach to mixing dnb has just become boring. It's nothing more than phrasing. I've been playing it for almost 15 years too.

I'm into footwork/juke, but the whole genre is awful to mix. It's way too syncopated and every mix is about keeping it tight for a 16 or 32 and letting the tune drop.

I've been playing some techno, but I'm not that emotionally invested in it. I'm kind of at a loss.

Anybody else ever feel this way?

I really just haven't been feeling dnb for the last few months. I still buy tunes. I still mix dnb, but I'm just not feeling it. I recorded a tight mix last week and didn't even bother uploading it. The whole approach to mixing dnb has just become boring. It's nothing more than phrasing. I've been playing it for almost 15 years too.

I'm into footwork/juke, but the whole genre is awful to mix. It's way too syncopated and every mix is about keeping it tight for a 16 or 32 and letting the tune drop.

I've been playing some techno, but I'm not that emotionally invested in it. I'm kind of at a loss.

Anybody else ever feel this way?

It's not at all just about phrasing. It plays a big part yes, but there is a lot more than just phrasing.

I think maybe just take a break, and experiment with other genres.

I've been into that half timey sort of stuff recently, tunes like

the bass line on this one is rough

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole reason I only really play reggae/dub/dancehall these days really, the odd d&b tune I really like, for like a day...

Really doesn't inspire me to go "all in" at all, its more of a "going through the motions" thing, if I do its with old jungle stuff really.

Really like mixing old garage & the newer breaks/dirtybird'esque type stuff too.

I've given up trying to follow/play d&b because it swhat I feel I should do cus' it was my first love music wise, I just play whatever makes me happy or mainly inspires me & on the whole, thats reggae, stupidly hard to mix/contruct a set with if your looking to play across the multiple styles within it, as the bpms vary so widely & alot actually shift within a tune, which in itself is a challenge that keeps me constantly interested, truesay its more about selection & the vibe you create with the journey of the tunes, but again, its just another element that keeps me intrigued & excited.

I think alot of why people who aren't totally inspired by d&b as DJ's anymore is that need as a DJ for exposure or praise from their peers, be it from a studio mix or a live set, its a thing that kept me interested in d&b for a very long time, but is now something i've grown to hate with a passion... Of course its nice/fulfilling to be booked left, right & centre & i'm not knocking anybody who is doing that or thats their focus, infact, more power to them... I just hate this formulaic set structure & painful beardstroking dissection of everything the scene has evolved into, I think its why alot of people like jump up because its not contrived in anyway.

Anyway...

Reggae yeah :spliff:

The whole reason I only really play reggae/dub/dancehall these days really, the odd d&b tune I really like, for like a day...

Really doesn't inspire me to go "all in" at all, its more of a "going through the motions" thing, if I do its with old jungle stuff really.

Really like mixing old garage & the newer breaks/dirtybird'esque type stuff too.

I've given up trying to follow/play d&b because it swhat I feel I should do cus' it was my first love music wise, I just play whatever makes me happy or mainly inspires me & on the whole, thats reggae, stupidly hard to mix/contruct a set with if your looking to play across the multiple styles within it, as the bpms vary so widely & alot actually shift within a tune, which in itself is a challenge that keeps me constantly interested, truesay its more about selection & the vibe you create with the journey of the tunes, but again, its just another element that keeps me intrigued & excited.

I think alot of why people who aren't totally inspired by d&b as DJ's anymore is that need as a DJ for exposure or praise from their peers, be it from a studio mix or a live set, its a thing that kept me interested in d&b for a very long time, but is now something i've grown to hate with a passion... Of course its nice/fulfilling to be booked left, right & centre & i'm not knocking anybody who is doing that or thats their focus, infact, more power to them... I just hate this formulaic set structure & painful beardstroking dissection of everything the scene has evolved into, I think its why alot of people like jump up because its not contrived in anyway.

Anyway...

Reggae yeah :spliff:

MUG

yeah i play all sorts now. love a nice deep dark dub mix. a summery house mix (i try to find slightly cranky tunes) and a good glitch hop mix always gets the energy flowing. Also love an ambient session barely even mixing just smoking weed playing lovely music to myself! all about playing around with other stuff man :)

played electro a fair bit in the past and some trap when i was getting a little bored of dnb and there was nights that did more electro my way but just solid dnb these days. cant get enough of where dnb is atm, so much good stuff constantly getting released

got so much hip hop, would love to be able to mix it but it seems so hard
Totally agree. Hip hop is hard as shit to mix.

I think i might take a few weeks off from dnb all together. I do like where the music is at right now though.

Its exactly the same as reggae, its tune knowledge, know where each break/vocal/switch is & for how many bars you can mix...

My reggae/hip-hop vinyls/cd's are covered in shorthand notes to help me put stuff together.

with hip hop i think the timing is the key, knowing when to drop the next tune in... wouldn't try long blends too much.

I got into DJing with dubstep, so i mix that aswell as some UK Funky/house once in a while

Im in the same place at the minute. Ive been mixing DnB for about 15 years but now I just don't feel 99% of the stuff coming out.

I started off on Garage but im sick of hearing old skool garage now and new garage merh

So now im on the Deep House flex and boy its like ive fell in love with music again. I started collecting tracks last year didn't have anything to start with but now ive got folders full.

I used to skank now I make shapes haha

lost a lot of interest in dnb recently. When i do mix dnb im using golden era jungle and some sci wax stuff. I probably have the most fun now just really experimenting, dropping half time dnb tunes from 45 to 33 and trying to blend it with dubstep/garage/techno/grime etc. basically trying to blend tunes that you wouldnt normally even consider and seeing what happens. Im even considering selling off the majority of my dnb at the moment.

tunes that im feeling

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom