does a demo need to be picture perfect?...

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by nafe1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. nafe1

nafe1 sea turtles mate

ive done a demo to place in my local record shop, its got a couple of little mistakes in it, the beat runs out on a few occasions during the mix buts gets recovered within seconds, im just wondering wether i should done it again.
    what do you think

2. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

me myself would want it perfect, personally mate, i wouldnt settle for second best, but then, sometimes, if you are listening to your own mix u pick up more on little mistakes that no one else would, if you want it to get recognised i would advise getting it spot on, i wouldnt be happy with a glitch in it no matter how small, cos at the end of the day its gonna reflect on you as a DJ dude, i would get it bang on then hand it over...peace.

3. snatch

snatch Member

^^

exactly what joey said. if people pick it up and hear mistakes then thats gonna be their first impression of you. Butn joey made a valid point that you WILL notice alot more stuff than joe bloggs who picks up your cd in the record store.

Personally id say, don't be too hard on yourself. Its not easy to do an hours mix perfectly. Ive got to 50 minutes before. went to switch tunes and brought the wrong fader down. so it was the same tune.. so i had to do it all again.

Good luck anyway.

4. youknow

youknow Member

Take note above Spot on will only do

5. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

:withstupi

6. nafe1

nafe1 sea turtles mate

cheers for your advise fellas, i think after what you said i will do it again, its not perfect in my eyes so fuck it, il redo it saterday morning, and snatch, thats savage 50mins??!!! ouch!

7. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Most people won't want over 30 mins anyways really

8. Alexi

Alexi Drench Audio

You should be realistic

This is in general, not doubting your skills nafe, but if you send out a perfect mix that you've spent weeks making sure every mix is completely precise, you'll never be able to replicate that standard in a live situation and ruin your reputation by being dissappointing

whereas if you make a demo of what you can honestly do (preferably on a good mixing day) then you wont have such a difficult task to match the quality if and when you get an opportunitues from the demo

9. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

As long as it's an outline of what you can do, an open minded person won't care about a few mistakes as long as the ideas are fresh.

10. ill1

ill1 Member

personally I prefer to hear a mistake or two on a mix from a new/opening dj. If it's perfect it makes me wonder how much of it was the dj and how much of it was his/her editing program. If I booked someone for an event based on a great demo and they were terrible at the event they would never be considered again.

11. deadaelus

deadaelus Laughter in the Slaughter

Some minor whirs and fixes are ok. Shows you are actually using vinyl. However it needs to be a quick fix, if you are chasing the mix up & down it doesn't sound good. If its too perfect, it makes you think that it was mixed on ableton and synced up perfect.

12. ill1

ill1 Member

exactly!

13. nafe1

nafe1 sea turtles mate

good point dude

14. nafe1

nafe1 sea turtles mate

yeah i see what you mean there mate.
    tell you what, if any of you want........heres the mix in question if you fancy it, give it a listen and tell me what you think, i really dont want to fuck up my first chance at a mix in the club ,im so keen its unreal.
    http://www.4shared.com/file/138402833/f351248b/Nafe_Watson_Demo_Mixture.html

kryptic minds/hide the tears (loxy & resound remix)
    dj fresh/heavyweight
    d-kay and lee/tuning (d-kay remix)
    foreign beggers & noisia/contact
    tantrum desire/pace stepper
    sensai/grid 9
    jaydan/suicide
    jayline and vast/the mummy
    goldstar/nothing
    dirty deeds/silver bullet
    clipz/get down
    zero g/get down
    kg/the past
    spor/aztec
    tantrum desire/dark water
    hazard/wicked so
    danny dyrd/red mist vip
    hazard/tactix
    whitney housten/my love is your love remix
    tantrum desire/crazy talk
    tantrum desire/electronic brain
    mistabishi/no matter what
    danny byrd/shock out

what do ya rekon?

15. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

look s pretty solid...cant beat a bit of witney lol...

i will check mate

16. nafe1

nafe1 sea turtles mate

nice one mate :)

17. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Ok this may seem slightly subjective but the first bit of feedback I ever got on a mix was from Whitey and he's big down south. He mentioned that playing two tunes from the same artist next to each other is seen as uncreative and bit lazy like. This nit picking but Get Down with Get Down, lacks creativity.

Also using the same artist 3-4 times in a mix is again a bit samey, there are sooo many artists out there i'd only advice using 2 tunes max from the same artist. Sometime this gets forgotten as I have recently but its a good habit to get into imo.

Hope this is seen as constructive, not just nit picking... You did say this is a demo so take your time.

Plus what Deliquent said is so true, its more about tracklist and style then a few tiny slips here and there :)

18. Zkinz

Zkinz :DJ Ocelot:

naaah man, how does this lack creativity, they have the same name, but they are totally different sounding tunes, clipz - get down is classic jump up business and zerog - get down is just absolute fuckin filth, love that tune

just listenin through ur mix now mate, well into it, not concentratin on it properly just listenin in the background so aint noticed any 'mistakes' as such, soundin pretty fat to me.

only thing sounds out of place is wicked so, but i tend to think that tune ruins any mix...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  19. nafe1

nafe1 sea turtles mate

i was waiting for someone to comment on all the tantrum desire used, i was worried bout that to be honest. so maybe if i re-worked it and took some of the tantrum out?
    im definatly keeping pace stepper in there haha, cheers for the advise though mate. definatly seen as constructive.

20. nafe1

nafe1 sea turtles mate

cheers mate, thanks for taking the time, not a fan of wicked so?
    i put it in there for variation to be fair and i love mixing red mist out.
    but cheers for your input pal, its getting noticed , looks like its back to the drawing board then haha