Dodgiest Set-Up You've Used.....

Mulla

Digital Future
VIP Junglist
Right one for the Dj's: You all must have played at parties/clubs where the set-up has been terrible, crap monitors, shite decks etc. But whats the worst conditions you've ever had to play in?

Mine would have to be this free party near Cheltenham a couple of weeks ago where a mate and I were playing b2b. For a start, the decks were wank!!! They were nasty little Gemini's that were about 15 years old (although to be fair, they held time ok), and covering the decks/mixer etc. was a sheet of tarporlin (sorry bout the spelling!) that was leaking everywhere!!! The worst thing about it tho, was that the whole set-up was running of this generator (obviously, as it was a free party!), but the generator was slowly running out of petrol (this was 5/6 am) which meant the decks kept slowing down every 5 minutes. Luckily it didnt do it during any of my mixes, but my mate got caught out a couple of times!!!!

Ooh, nice thread!!

I have two I reckon.

1) At TripleM's sisters boyfriends (mouth full!!) birthday party. We had Mike's *cool* Gemini XL 600s, a crowd that wern't really into what we were playing (there were kids there etc.), and the we didn't really have a monitor speaker either! It's not really a case of crap equipment, just a case of weird situation. I am sure Mike feels the same, hehe :slayer:

2) One of the times I played at Skillz. Mike and I were doing a B2B set and we had to use the standard setup in the club (which is VERY VERY poor). It was two overused 1210s, some really crappy studio club type mega mixer, which while mixing, would come out of it's fitting and turn the monitor speaker off :mad: So ya had to hit it back in and continue the mixup!

That's about it for me, anyone else?

skillz again
But with my decks and that ultra cool mixer stu was talking about, but this time with no monitor at all.

Nearest speaker was a good 30ft away and was incapable of reproducing any form of bass.

That was a classy setup.

billdingo said:
skillz again
But with my decks and that ultra cool mixer stu was talking about, but this time with no monitor at all.

Nearest speaker was a good 30ft away and was incapable of reproducing any form of bass.

That was a classy setup.

Gutted I missed that one :D

At reENERGIZE 2 the mixer started playing up early in the night. A slight knock and the main output would switch off, leaving just the monitors(if I remember rightly). Also no knob on the crossfader which is nice. Plus the monitors are in a convenient place to crack your head on after you've rummaged through your box and stood up again. I'm sure Mr TripleM and Mr Caution will confirm.

dRiFT said:
At reENERGIZE 2 the mixer started playing up early in the night. A slight knock and the main output would switch off, leaving just the monitors(if I remember rightly). Also no knob on the crossfader which is nice. Plus the monitors are in a convenient place to crack your head on after you've rummaged through your box and stood up again. I'm sure Mr TripleM and Mr Caution will confirm.

CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!

I can see some proper clanging going down at the DJ comp tomorrow night if they dont sort those problems out.

To be fair though the whole system was a bit shit in that room. Wasn't big enough to handle it.

I hear that!!
Nearly knocked myself out on those monitor speakers..
- Agree with stu and billdingo on the skillz setup. Lets hope the new club will have a better set of gear
:chainsaw:

gotta b bout 3 years ago on brancaster beach, a set of the shitist beltdrives....no monitors, a wank gemini mixer which had a crossfader that cut the other channel in when it was fully across. What made things worse was that the wind picked up and sand began to fly :tut: Never again man :shake:

Back
Top Bottom