do your tracks sounds EXACTLY the same after exporting?

maschinistom

VIP Junglist
fellow producers, hola !

My old problem is that tracks in my DAW sound better compared to after exporting! Once I have exported a track for final mastering in Ozone -- the track sounds less lively, less clear, lower in volume. It's marginal but there is a noticeable difference (pls don't say placebo in here cos it isn't) which I have never got rid of in 2 years trying all available export settings, as well trying modern vs. conservative track export options -- it's a pain in the ar*e tbh.

Have you ever experienced the same?
If not (and 100% certain), what DAW are you using?
I'm in for a change ...
thanks for your feedback guys :fonz:

Last edited:
I used to experience this and to some degree still do, but I noticed since learning a bit more about my main DAW and sticking with its plugins in the master (mostly) the sound is almost the same.

I've had this argument with so many people, i used to be off the camp that the higher sample rate the better and there is actually literature out there stating this is true. Thing is I pulled it back and notice no difference to my ears wether it's 44100 or 192000.

There's an obvious jump in the file size however so I just keep it at 48000 from what I read perfectly acceptable for any application.

The guy who initially argued that higher bit rate was not actually needed was told this by tutors at college and it seems to be true but there is defo an argument there I believe.

I have a slightly different workflow at the moment that I'm just adjusting too however, incorporating pro tools for mixdown/master. But I've been using similar settings with great results tbh.

It's defo worth thinking about though but I did notice a big difference using only stock plugs on the master. Limiter and glue compressor mainly everything else can be done on busses I reckon. So that may be helping me get the true sound. I may be wrong but it's food for thought.

I've had this argument with so many people, i used to be off the camp that the higher sample rate the better and there is actually literature out there stating this is true. Thing is I pulled it back and notice no difference to my ears wether it's 44100 or 192000.

There's an obvious jump in the file size however so I just keep it at 48000 from what I read perfectly acceptable for any application.

The guy who initially argued that higher bit rate was not actually needed was told this by tutors at college and it seems to be true but there is defo an argument there I believe.

I have a slightly different workflow at the moment that I'm just adjusting too however, incorporating pro tools for mixdown/master. But I've been using similar settings with great results tbh.

It's defo worth thinking about though but I did notice a big difference using only stock plugs on the master. Limiter and glue compressor mainly everything else can be done on busses I reckon. So that may be helping me get the true sound. I may be wrong but it's food for thought.

I mostly agree to what you say here .. I tried my current project in 48k export (32 bit norm.) and it sounded less good than 96k tbh. only in the top end actually, the rest the same.
I can send you both files and u can check if you like. overall i'm still puzzled why exporting from my daw is producing quite different quality export files :confused:

Is this not down to export settings at all? Also you never mentioned what DAW you're using either. I use Cubase 8.5 and haven't had any issues with the export sounding any different, although there are additional settings which can be ticked prior to that step. Of course I'm certainly going to assume there's never any clipping going on with the master bus at all?

I use the standard 44.1khz 24bit as I've never really noticed much difference or need to increase it as of yet. I was also satisfied when seeing Noisia doing a Q&A just a few years ago mention that they also work in the same and what you get out of them no one can knock quality wise as we all know.

I've read things about some plugins responding slightly different and more accurately though when using them with higher sample rates.I have worked at 48 in the past but have just gone back to 44.1 for the time being.

Yes they do. Because I have my computer optimized for it, and also I don’t usually compose and mix in one session. Don’t fool your ears. Listening to something with fresh ears and a focused mind is better than doin all at once.

Is this not down to export settings at all? Also you never mentioned what DAW you're using either. I use Cubase 8.5 and haven't had any issues with the export sounding any different, although there are additional settings which can be ticked prior to that step. Of course I'm certainly going to assume there's never any clipping going on with the master bus at all?

I use the standard 44.1khz 24bit as I've never really noticed much difference or need to increase it as of yet. I was also satisfied when seeing Noisia doing a Q&A just a few years ago mention that they also work in the same and what you get out of them no one can knock quality wise as we all know.

I've read things about some plugins responding slightly different and more accurately though when using them with higher sample rates.I have worked at 48 in the past but have just gone back to 44.1 for the time being.

well, as I wrote I have tried all export settings available in 2 years in some 70 tracks (everything in-between from 44 to 192k, 16-32 bit, normalised vs none-normalised).
the difference appears on ALL of them. different plugins didn't produce other results. and I'm certainly not talking about clippings or distortion here ...
well noted you don't seem to have this issue with CUBASE. cheers.

Yes they do. Because I have my computer optimized for it, and also I don’t usually compose and mix in one session. Don’t fool your ears. Listening to something with fresh ears and a focused mind is better than doin all at once.

I'm well aware of that. several peeps confirmed to my tracks do sound different IN vs OUTSIDE the DAW.
it's definitely not a fresh-ears thing. I usually work in different sessions in DAW and mastering in Ozone.

Last edited:
Logic 10, only ever had problems bouncing out pre-frozen tracks, so now i just unfreeze everything before my bounce and she works good. Sorry to hear you're having repeated problems.

I like cats
Me too
HTTPS9tZWRpYS5naXBoeS5jb20vbWVkaWEvUXZ3TURZcEFNVW02US9naXBoeS5naWYlog.gif

Back
Top Bottom