Do you think that producing helps you mix???

DjSee

I started producing about a year ago and as i learn't more i found out that mix'ing(Double droppin inpaticular)became easier,like a lot of producers drop there tunes at 48 or 64 bars...soon as u realise this you can kinda see if a tunes got a 48 or 64 drop eg. If u look at Twisted Individual Heavy Metal...64 drop.....Ebony Dubsters Muderation 48 drop.....etc.

Wot do you think???

personally, the only thing of mixing that it really helps is key clashes, everything else, like the phrazing, you can pick up well enuff without

I don't think it has improved my mixing. However I would say it has made me listen to tunes from a production point of view, like wondering how the producer did certain things.

I wouldnt say it helps mixing that much really, doin double drops comes pretty easily when you know the tunes.

Although i have to agree with SDM about looking at the production side of tunes. Sorta like when you start DJing you listen a lot more closely to the DJ's mixing when you are out in a club.

Last edited:
sdm said:
it has made me listen to tunes from a production point of view, like wondering how the producer did certain things.

you have to keep a close eye on that - i fell into the trap an number of years ago where i over-analyzed every single piece of music i heard - ended up nearly destroying my passion for music altogether. Learning how to step back and listen "for pleasure" was one of the hardest production lessons i learned :twitchy:

Back on topic: I dont think producing helps you DJ straight away - but DJ'ing helps production purely because you have an understanding of what *works* and what doesnt. You have the advantage of having seen first hand what makes people go crazy, and what makes them leave the floor. If you have a "production head" you can analyze why things like that have happened...

Affliction said:
you have to keep a close eye on that - i fell into the trap an number of years ago where i over-analyzed every single piece of music i heard - ended up nearly destroying my passion for music altogether. Learning how to step back and listen "for pleasure" was one of the hardest production lessons i learned :twitchy:

Back on topic: I dont think producing helps you DJ straight away - but DJ'ing helps production purely because you have an understanding of what *works* and what doesnt. You have the advantage of having seen first hand what makes people go crazy, and what makes them leave the floor. If you have a "production head" you can analyze why things like that have happened...
Well said (y)

I had a good knowledge of music before i started DJing & i think that helped me learn to DJ quickly.
At the DJ course i went on they said about the structure of music & i think that's good to bear in mind when mixing (otherwise you get tunes out-of-bar), but then you can tell where to drop a tune without that knowledge anyway!
Does DJing help you produce? - Yeah a little, but there are loads of things to do with producing that you can't learn from DJing. But knowing the structure of music (e.g. making lil changes every 8 bars etc.) makes it easier to produce.
So i didn't really answer the Question but said whether a knowledge of music makes it easier to mix :)

Back
Top Bottom