do you plan your sets or just go on a random 1

Dj_Kritikool

im always hearing people say their 'working' on a set or working on what order 2 play their tunes or planning a set.....

is it just me that goes on a random 1 or are others the same?

every DJ has got their 'signature' mixes that they know they will play, even the likes of andy c and friction have mixes they has repeated over time

but do people plan their whole set? or like me, just go on a random selection?

If im recording a mix and hosting it online then i will try plan it out a much as i can, but if im playing live i will play to the crowds reaction

It depends really,what you said about signature mixes is true but when i played out i did plan a few tunes as i wanted to make a good impression but if i had a residency then im more likly to play what feels rite at the time and just go with the flow,but if its a comp or demo i think it should be planned as you mite only get 1 shot.

not really, if i record a demo or something then i'll spend a cpl of hours piecing it together, but when i'm out live i never plan it, i have tunes that mix together paired up in the bag but i hate planning sets just incase u don't manage to pull something off, it fucks ur flow imo, i usually know what i'm gonna play first tho and just play what i feel from there...

i know ppl who plan sets, a few do it coz they have trouble remembering the tune structure, but i also know ppl who overthink and spend hours trying to prefect a set

i much prefer jus to turn up and mix till i'm told otherwise, each to thier own tho...

I know roughly what tunes I am going to play (roughly) but I chuck them in anywhere and however I want really. Order tends to be random for me.

Random tunes, random order, whatever I feel like playing, with the odd crowd pleaser thrown in for good measure.

Normally got a few intro options planned and ready at the front of my bag, only the first 3 or 4 tunes so that I can go off to a good start... then it's just about reading the crowd and playing what feels right. Also it's handy to group together a few good mixes in the bag so I remember to do them.

I don't think planning the whole set is the way to go for playing out... otherwise you may aswell just turn up and put on a mix CD!

yeh an intro 2 a set is key i think, u gota hit the ground running and then see where it takes u

as u say, crowds reaction is important to what ure playin

yeh an intro 2 a set is key i think, u gota hit the ground running and then see where it takes u

as u say, crowds reaction is important to what ure playin

Also I normally have a few different intros ready... you don't want to go too over the top to an empty room... gotta ease them all in a bit! But if the rooms heaving and the DJ before you has everyone warmed up you gotta keep up the energy.

Freestyle Baby!

I just mix with what tune I feel like playing at the time, cause I find If I personally don't feel the tunes I'm playing then I don't mix them as well.

I have now taken to planing the structure of my record bag very carefully but still freestyling the set, so i have all my teases at the front of my bag, planned sets of 2-3 tunes in the middle and a stack of tunes that i really like or wanna play that i freestyle with. its cool cause it means i know where everything in my bag is so i dont miss bars or anything but i dont feel like im cheating by playing a planned set.

I generally have a good idea of which tunes go well with other tunes, but I never pre-plan my sets. The direction of my sets depends too much on what the crowd is feeling.

bit of both. always plan an intro. got loads of combos stacked up though si i can pretty much take a set anywhere if need be.

I never plan a set when playing out. I read the crowd and play what I think they want to hear. Good DJs play to the crowd.

Never.

Have some mixes that I know work, but try everything to make each set unique & most importantly as Gloxxy stated.

Read.

The.

Crowd.

&

Select.

Accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom