Do you like Myspace.com?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Gumby, Oct 4, 2006.

?

do you like myspace?

1. Yes

68.2%
  2. No

27.3%
  3. what is a myspace?

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gumby

Gumby New Member

i dont really like it that much. just seems to be a whole site dedicated to people talking about themselves.

i guess it could be useful to help find long lost friends or keep in touch with relatives. and i supposed it'd be good for famous people so that their fans can keep track of them..

i guess i can see the benefits, just not the appeal.

2. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Only use it to contact d&b artists for various purposes.

3. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I have an account - it's an artist account that I use to put my music on, my Dj mixes, my general crap (blogs), and random photos of me for people to laugh over!

The thing about MySpace is you can become a member and have 100's (even 1000's) of people view whatever you're trying to promote in days - it's a great promotion tool for anyone with something to offer, especially artists, bands etc.

Best of all, it's free!

Feel free to add me! http://myspace.com/sdmdj

4. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Yes! Being able to contact people you wouldn't normally be able to is a great thing.

5. mesh

mesh Active Member

I can see the benefits of contacting people etc, and a few peoples' pages are good. I think it takes a lot of the genuine aspect out of networking in a way though, I mean Lupe Fiasco has something ridiculous like 250 000 'friends'. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

To answer your question, I have an instinctive and genuine dislike of Myspace, plus its owned by Rupert Murdoch and I don't like him much either. I voted no.

I cant imagine starting my own account, and I think many people start an account just so they can perv on others. s'all about the voyeurism innit.

that said, I am sure it can be useful. meh.:oscar:

6. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

I've got mixed feelings...

We've got a page (www.myspace.com/brknk) which seems to have uses for promotion...

It certainly seems to get more comments from people who've been at events than on here, or on our own site. I do think it's deffo changing the way people use the web.

Got some famous 'friends' too, not just people who play at Breakneck but Ladytron and SpankRock too!

I do use it when finding out who's who at Speakers Corner (my fave hiphop night).

But try using it on the wrong browser, which on a Mac is most of them and it's popups and errors hell.

I'm still cursing Sandi Thom (and her label / management / hype) for scamming it...

7. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

i like it, where would i talk to my only friends?
    :teeth:

on a more serious note i get to laugh at emo kids, perv on fit guys, comment on mates/enemies pics, add old school friends then never speak to them, check out new bands/tunes and embarrass your mates :D

8. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

My general opinion of myspace is the same as Mesh but for artist purposes, its great. How else can you get in contact with the big boys, they don't exactly hand out their email addresses. Took ages for me to start my own and that's only because I want to do a bit of promotion.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  9. soundgirl

soundgirl Queen of the Stupids

i've got an account, but i haven't been on there for ages. it's boring. probably because i don't have 50,000 'friends', and won't just add people for the sake of adding them.

10. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

Sigh just been forced at gunpoint to make an account...how long...I've put a tune up there if your interested...
    LArge Weinerspace
    oh and add me if ya want

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  11. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

We will...

& we've got Ladytron, Spank Rock & Underworld as 'friends'...

but they probably add anyone too...

;)

I do really think myspace is taking over / changing the way people use the web tho...

Good for people getting a space and web presence...

12. mISHKA

mISHKA Member

For most people it's just a glorified dating site. Useful for catching up with old school buddies though :)

13. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

14. deadaelus

deadaelus Laughter in the Slaughter

Makes a few of us...

PS myspace is ok. not great. ok.

It helped a good friend who i hadnt seen track me down, so i really cant say anything bad about it basing off of my experience.

PSS i always add everyone who requests it. not that i really put hot up to date details on my profile. its really just a dragnet of shit to make people feel more important than they are.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  15. jay walker

jay walker 1/2 of Passive/Aggressive

Ive gotta say im a fan of myspace, as a wannabe producer, its ideal for networking an its free promotion, for very little work!

I did a bootleg of Monster by the Automatic (as some of you know) I put it up on my myspace (jaywalkerdnb) and a coupla weeks later the band hit me up saying what they thought of it, where else do you get feedback like that, eh? :mr_cool:

16. bbjohnson420

bbjohnson420 Member

I like myspace... Its pretty neat that you can meet new people and keep in contact... I met a bunch of new people on there that I talk to regularly

17. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

Exactly...
    Stay involved..
    Promote...
    Get at artists......
    Be a douchebag......

Ive been on it since 04 :gimp:

its quite trendy...but I do remember before the bum rush of stalkers spamers sluts and....well stalkers...when it was cool to see what the whole local seen/peeps whatev is upto?

I dunno....just another time consuming thing to do online:slick:

http://www.myspace.com/ecarmy

18. 4BiDN

4BiDN Forbidden

One of the best free promotion tools thats ever existed. If used for anything else.. ie. dating site then its pretty sad/// well not sad, but not that great. But I doubt many use it for that now - maybe that was the intention at the begining but now its being used more for promoting music/art/models/whatever.

Ive been using it since january 06, since then 70% of my business has come from there.. I've more or less quadruapled my clients Oh and ive also found an ex who from being a slut has changed her life to preaching religion out in Mongolia (no joke). Last I saw her was in 1998... great stuff.

There are a lot of benefits to it if used properly. I too hate Rupert Murdoch, but why should he make money of this without me gettin a slice ;P make use where possible.

19. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Ooh, what did they say? :)

20. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

"Where's our 20%?"