Do you just use Sub Bass & Mid range synth?

jakeshiftzw

Shiftz
Whenever i make a tune, i have my synth hi-passed at about 120hz onwards and split into three bands of low,mid, and high and then i have a sub bass low-passed at about 60-70hz and then a simple sine an octave higher than my sub sitting at 120hz-150hz for smaller speakers. Am i missing another element? Because i always hear people just talking about 'bass' aswell as sub. I thought it might be the bass in your synth, but if your not hi-passing it past your kick won't it clash?

Sounds like you got it.....i usually just split my main bass into two, then layer a sub underneath that.

Although ive seen a few tutorials now from big name producers who are making another sub bass which is high passed (around 100ish hz) and distorted then layered behind the main bass. Maybe i should start trying that.

You can avoid your 2nd sub at 120hz by adding some slight distortion/overdrive to your main sub it introduce some harmonics that should sound more "together" than 2 separate sines. But you won't have so much control over it.

hi pass at 120hz? lol that sounds way too muddy,personaly I like my mid synth starting at 800hz

800hz I found to be the highest mud freqency,higher than that it doesnt have that bass like nature,I done little test and I found the 800hz to be higherst freqency you can feel on your skin,higher than that its purely ear sensation on big system

I'll apply a low cut anywhere from 200 - 600Hz with a very smooth curve (around 12dB/Oct) so that I don't completely thin out the bass. You want the bass sound to have a "thick" timbre with the sub acting as the element that you "feel," and most importantly you want the two to sound cohesive.

Any mud can be cleaned up through strategic eqing and subtle side-chaining 9 out 10 times, so long as the layers making up your main bass sound are playing nice together.

Just my.02.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom