Do you go long periods of time without producing anything?

mr meh

VIP Junglist
I know if i want to get good at producing i need to be doing it every day but i keep getting into weeks and even months of not producing anything, I seem to spend more time reading about producing rather than actually doing it , lol

Anyone else like this?

yeah can be mate. can't force it out though. for me rather than aiming to make a whole track i just sit down and mess about with some breaks, different synth sounds i don't often use, then i'll usually come up with a melody or a sound i find inspiring then boom, new tune!

nahh, i try to do something every few days at least, If im sick of making a tune i might work on another mixdown or mix records or get out the hardware and make some oldschool techno or something ya know

yes. i certainly do and it makes my life empty and pointless. i get into weird shit with my spare time and dont even notice that my life is now about sleeping and watching downloaded episodes of spartacus blood and sand or hawaii 5-0, 4chan, special brew and take out food every day. thats how bad it affects my life. so now, i did like 3 tunes in 6 months, before that i did 1 tune in 8 months, just really long periods of not going in to the studio and it devalues my whole existence something fierce.

fortunately i have weekly sessions at reactor grits studio once a week so we finish a tune maybe every 1.5 months or so, but thats with our group project. but im been lucky to have that cos it means im never completely removed from the music, its there in some way.

I have weeks of writers block at a time! It kills me! But i sit down for at least an hour a day and play with a synth!

Yes I've just done a 2 month of Writers block, Its a killer because you think its all over and your done with makin music, but then somethin will come just keep playing with sounds making new breaks and synths and you will get a sound you like and you will make a tune from it, Like the old saying goes you cant polish a turd, so your mind knows this and rejects anything that isnt up to your current standerds of producing, Which is good as this means you wil only get better, I have just made the swap from reason 2 Ableton. That cured me (This time)
\

Last edited by a moderator:
i just. cant. stop!!!!!! arrggggh :D

i have a pretty wide range of tastes, so these days I can make something every day, not always dnb, plus the last 6months i have been developing sumthing new all the time, so the whole process is pretty exciting for me, loving it! and when i cant do dnb, i make chillout, or pop, or classical or randomness

Yeah man! Normally I spend a lot of time with fruity loops, like 1-3 weeks periods and 24/7. Then I keep a break of creation and spend my spare time with friends, music theory or just listening relaxing melodic music. After producing period I'm almost braindead and creativity is low.

i was always getting a block every odd week until i got some new hardware which sparks inspiration every time i play with them. Been over 6 months and ill make a loop almost everyday and finish and sequence maybe 1 in 5to10 loops, to a degree. hope you guys find some inspiration

i was always getting a block every odd week until i got some new hardware which sparks inspiration every time i play with them. Been over 6 months and ill make a loop almost everyday and finish and sequence maybe 1 in 5to10 loops, to a degree. hope you guys find some inspiration

just keep at it.

im the same. just doing looooooads of loops all the time with 1 of 10 getting finished. doesnt matter, youll learn something new everytime.

and im not producing for a month' time sometimes aswell. helps you to focus what youre doing wrong/right. when your loops get worse every day and not better, take some time off to reflect what youre doing and then come back at it. getting some perspective!

going on like this for 3 years now and i still love it the way i did after the first finished tune ;)

i have found it to be better to have a lot of tunes going at once. my mate and i collab quite a bit now, and we have about 5 tunes working at once. would be nice to get a few finished though.

Currently I seem to have really slowed down these past couple months. I was just so hard into it for a while and then summer came. I just felt like I needed a break after producing my last track so I haven't done much in many weeks. It's kinda nice and i'll get back to it soon I hope!

Back
Top Bottom