Do you fill a cd up with tracks?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by stevejas, Jan 8, 2013.

1. stevejas

stevejas I've been naughty, I'm banned

Out of interest do you guys burn one or 2 tracks per cd, or fill the cd up with as many tracks as possible?
    Ie make a cd the same as a record and have two tracks on.

2. stevejas

stevejas I've been naughty, I'm banned

Note to terpit please don't derail this thread.

3. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

Cd's are expensive, why would I just burn 1 or 2? I try to fill them with as many tracks as possible.

4. Mikkandro

Mikkandro COPENHAGEN

Because it gives more opportunities for tunes to mix with each other I guess.

5. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. In case a mix comes up to my mind like before the gig or something, and I've got both tunes on the same CD, I actually burn another one with the tune I want just to drop that mix. I already have alot of cd's and my collection keeps growing every week, I even make a cd selection before each gig now, sometimes I think I've got way too many. If I recorded 1 or 2 tunes in each, I would have no space on my cd case haha

6. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

Blank CDs are like £1 for 10. You can even get them cheaper than that if you buy in bulk.
    It's personal preference what you do with them, don't do something because someone else does.
    My personal preference is that CDs are a gash format.
    If I had cdjs it would be USB sticks.
    If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning.

All over this land!

7. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

1£ is aprox. 1.20€ here. And with 1.20, you buy 1 CD in a chinese shop. I pay like 10€ for 10/12 CD's if I'm lucky.

8. cele

cele Well-Known Member

yeah if you want quality then you got to pay around 1€ per cd (well, a bit less, especially if you buy 50 or something). Bought cheap once and the CDJ didn't take a lot of them (glad i brought some backup cds), not doing it again.

@ topic: around 10 tunes per cd, and I try to pack as many things as possible of one or two artists on them, You don't mix tunes by the same artist anyway (at least i don't, except when i've found a REALLY good mix).

9. Disturbd

Disturbd Winter is here!!!

I've not got cdjs I've never used cdjs do they beatmatch or something as when I've seen vids of djs on dnbtv they don't touch the pitchfader?

10. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

They don't beatmatch. But I've heard some dj's use some kind of tool or something to put all the tracks with the same bpm before burning the cd's, let's say 87 or something, and they set +2 or +3 on the cdj's and don't touch it the rest of the night. Saw alot of people playing like this and it's not cool at all

11. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

The CDJ2000nexus has a sync button but every other CDJ doesnt, you can pre-pitch the tunes on the CD beforehand though like Norwax said, or if youre fucking weird like me you can learn what % every tune has to be at for it to be a certain speed. (for example almost every jump up tune is +2.85 for 180bpm and almost every single RAM tune is +3.45)

also to OP before i got traktor and i was just bedroom mixing i would burn 3-4 tunes on each CD, if I somehow managed to to play out I burn as many as I can to one and then make a duplicate.

12. Demshy

Demshy Active Member

Burn 11 on to each CD and then burn two copies so I can mix every tune with each other

13. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

I do that aswell haha, not so weird tho!

I don't really learn, but after so much mixing and using of the tunes I memorize the bpm and the changes I need to do on the %

14. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

I tend to put 6 on a CD because that's how many track names I can fit on the CD when I write them on. If I'm burning a couple of tracks that I know that I'll be mixing a lot or if it's a track that mixes well with a lot of things then I'll put 1 or 2 on a CD.

15. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

6 tracks, write on the CD in big black pen keeping it legible (helps in dark clubs), burn 2 copies, put in order of key, 1A upwards etc.. screenshot of the tracklist, print out, stick in wallet.

Thats how i do anyways :)

16. Binary_UK

Binary_UK Binary.

2 normally, 6 at most. As for beat matching, I just learnt that its 0.60 on the CDJ per BPM, so 172 to 174 is + 1.20

17. Disturbd

Disturbd Winter is here!!!

whats the tool that they use?

18. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

no idea. there are people I know that use virtual dj (yes, they use it) to record tune by tune with the same bpm

19. GN4rB0oTzz

GN4rB0oTzz Active Member

I dont like filling up cds with tunes because i find i have to keep searching through the cd to find a good tune to mix with and by the time i do the other song is already over. That probably made no sense but i dont care. If you have the money i would just burn singles or ep's to save you the time

20. OneSeventy

OneSeventy Mohican Sun

This. My mate has two 32gb sticks and he just fills both of them up exactly the same as each other. That way he can always mix anything into anything, he only ever had to buy the USB sticks once and he doesn't have to fuck around changing discs or burning discs... just simple drag and drop/delete. Only thing is it takes maybe around 10mins for the USBs to load on the CDJs before they work.