do u use drum pads and in what way?

Discussion in 'Production' started by luzil, Aug 21, 2009.

?

Do u use pads for generating drum patterns

Poll closed Mar 9, 2010.
  1. Not at all

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Yes, to get basic ideas playfully

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Yes, i only make small changes in the midi editor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. luzil

luzil Member

just saw this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxmg9epNpDA

doesnt sound brilliant but might be a good technique to get new drum patterns by playin around on it and then finetuning it in the editor. Do u use pads urselfes to create more humanized non quantized beat patterns or to just get ideas? Of course it pretty hard to drum at 170bpm good patterns. Dont know if it is a good way to record at 100-120 and then speed it up in a DAW. Any experience with this?

Anyone can recommend some hardware controller pads appropriate for drum programming. I dont think all pad controller out there are suited for this, need to be robust and have a good velocity sensitivity editing capabilities. Have a oxygen keyboard at the moment but this will be replaced soon. Most pads on midi masterkeyboards look pretty cheap.

2. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

I don't use them much. I'm trying to fix my midi.

3. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

Never used one before but I'd look into it after seeing one of those in action :)

4. DanDnB

DanDnB Bass and Drums

Anyone know how to interface the drum pads on an Axiom 49 controller with reason redrums? I cant figure this out.. durr...

5. Sweaty Teddy

Sweaty Teddy Nob'ed

I got electronic drum kit which I have used before but mainly for fills and stuff which is alot harder to programme then a beat.

6. luzil

luzil Member

100 views but only 5 votes :) should have added option

[ ] drum pad ? never heard before

So doesnt seem too popular in dnb, probably such pad controller r more used by and sold for house, techno, ... producers

Here is another vid showing that u really can make drum lines nearly sounding as a acoustic drummer. He gets from my pov a really good groove and natural velocity of the single hits. Reminds me on the feel of the acoustic drums of 4hero tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8of2t9QQbck&feature=related

7. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Have a look at the Axiom manual, theres a way to set it up so that MIDI channel 1 interfaces with whatever instrument you select, and MIDI channel 10 is always routed to the channels on the Redrum, so even if your playing a synth or sampler you can still use the drum pads. Failing that right click on the play button on a redrum channel, select "Edit remote override mapping", then a box will come up, tick the option that says "learn from control surface" then tap the pad you want to link to the redrum channel. Do that for all the channels you need to.