Do these plugins exist?

Discussion in 'Production' started by smoothassilk, Jun 23, 2014.

1. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

I've just discovered ring modulators being used as an effect rather than being used as a synthesis technique, and I was wondering if there were any plugins which do the following?

1. A ring modulator with custom modulator input: you know how you can get vocoders which can take two sounds and use one as modulator and one as carrier? Can I get a ring modulator that does that? Does it exist? Also one which uses MIDI to control the mod pitch would be nice too.

2. Frequency or phase modulators which can be used as an effect, so I can put FM on later in the processing chain.

I know that this is a bit of an obscure request... is there some reason that plugins like this aren't common?

2. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Logic pro has a phase disortion (which gives the same sound as FreqM).
    i dont think there are any ring mods with a sidechain in though)

3. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Check out Logic's Ringshifter effect. It does accept sidechained input.

Cheers.

4. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

1. I would guess this is uncommon because two complicated signals will create an uninteresting output for most musical applications (and seemingly unpredictable to the human). This plug-in must exist somewhere though. For example you could build one in reaktor by multiplying your two inputs.

2a. By frequency modulation, do you mean pitch modulation? Maybe a vibrato effect would work?

2b. Phase modulation is useful in granular synthesis, but I'm not really sure how that would audibly change an incoming sound unless it is actually changing the frequency of the output, which isn't really a change in phase. What's the idea behind this?

5. smoothassilk

I was referring FM8 type frequency modulation. Phase modulation is a similar effect and it's useful for making growls or robotic whirrs for dubstep. You know the mod osc in massive? That. I just want to get it as an effect because then I can put it anywhere in the processing chain and make interesting movement.

I had used amplitude modulation (of which ring modulation is a sub type of) many times before at the oscillator stage of synthmaster and found it pretty cool, but in the reaper stock plugs I found a ring modulator as an effect and I was struck by how different it sounded when you put it near the end of the FX chain, instead of just in the synth at the beginning.

6. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

Right, that's where I don't quite see how it would work outside of synthesis where you know the sound being modified is periodic. Otherwise I would assume it would need to look ahead in the buffer some number of samples. But I could be missing something obvious. Sorry not much help on that one haha.

7. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

8. smoothassilk

I actually found a plugin which does what I wanted... I gave up hope then noticed that:

Philteroid, the free sherman filterbank emulation accepts both FM and AM modulator inputs... and it creates an awesome sound when it does :)