Do the Top DJ's still USE DUBPLATES ?

Radius

Full Spectrum Selection
VIP Junglist
Or is it Final Scracth or CD's all the way now...saw Makoto and he had Final scratch...I know I would be cutting plates if I was paid enough, but I also am guessing that 100 dubs are alot more heavy tahn vinyl, and if ur going abroad might be a right pain ???:boxing:

Yeah most of the big Dj's still use dubplates! Grooverider, Fabio, Hype, Andy C, Marky, Goldie, Zinc, Friction etc etc... I know alot of Dj's that used to use CD's, but have now gone back to dubplates!

They earn enough per set to justify it, so why not!

I'd cut more if I could afford it! :'(

Dubplates forever!!!

I know the top DJs in Perth ( and therefore Australia !) are DJing huge chunks on CD, their access to new tunes is just too good to not do it, and there aren't any dub-cutting houses here. Plus the money isn't as huge so it isnt as logical/rewarding to have dubs.
I know they would like to mix vinyl or dubs, but when you can do a whole set of mad shit on CD and make people say boh you're gonna sit with CD

While I'm not a top DJ, I'm still waiting to cut my first dubplate, but I don't really want to cut one unless one side is one of my tunes. Considering I hate my own tunes, I don't see it happening anytime soon! :teeth:

Thats a hard standard you got for yourself Stu, respect.

cut a plate though, you will become toppa jus like this

ive heard that theres 2 major types of dubplate !

*correct me if im wrong here please*

theres ones that cost around 20-30 £ that used to last 9 or so plays then sound like someones pourd rice crispies over it ie snap crackly n pop .....

then when i last was speaking to nickybm [ no were not major friends just ive spent time chatting on things with him] that he uses a dubplate that costs around 60-70 £ that plays like a normal piece of vynel [untold plays] how true this is i dont know !!!

i remember when i did my 1st and only release back in 91-92 under [untold force] it was not a big seller !! anyway i brought the plates and randell n colin favour played them
i didnt know about the cutting house where all the major jocks went and payed for there own dubs ... lol .... oops !!

with todays cdr thing its easier for a track to get around,internet /aim blah blah but playing off cdrs on major rigs doesnt cut it like dubplates do,something to do with sound ??? im not educated to much on it .. anyway ok cdrs r lighter and ofcourse cost less but the lap top thing needs setting up blah blah so if the djs doing a all nighter show case then i see this happening but to wait around while they plug in stuff do set up la la la i dont see often .. i know more house djs do it more than dnb djs,

having not been out much since back from france i know last yr when i saw andyc/pendulum/chasen staus and a few others that the cdr thing was big not many plates just cdrs .... shame didnt bother me to much as the music n style of mixing was something else !!

do i miss dubplates !! i couldnt careless as long as the music is good,
to me its more important that the crowd is there to have a good time and remove the image gangster wanna image that ive noticed more so over the yrs,thats what pisses me off more so than if so in so dropped a plate or cdr or it came off computer fuck it !!

sdm > music is like art < your an artist > and as an artist u always feel that your work is /or can be improved even if a thousand people love it ... your exspressing yourself and creativity cause u have done it allows people to judge negitive / positive feedback ... if u have done something for yourself and pleased with what u have done thats all that matters why people feel dis heartened is they do a piece of art // be that drawing music dance etc etc then reflect on if others like it .. fuck it !! do stuff for you and if u like it then take it to the stage,if u hate it then dam!!! thats not good nrg is it ... how can u sell me some of yours when u dislike it !!!

big man .... have some faith rude boi :hagglers: :1: :rockposse

pantyinspector said:
with todays cdr thing its easier for a track to get around,internet /aim blah blah but playing off cdrs on major rigs doesnt cut it like dubplates do,something to do with sound ???

No difference at 320 kbs over a good soundsystem.

I still think the scene needs some sort of 'exclusivity' with regards to dubplates, and with the age of CDRs and MP3 dubs are only gonna become more widespread as more and more people who shouldn't have them play them out.

And watching a DJ streaming his beats hunched over a laptop doesnt give me the same vibe as someone smashing it up on decks!

Having said that, Breakage played an awesome selection from his laptop the other night but those tunes are gonna sound bombastic regardless of how they're played !

mISHKA said:
I still think the scene needs some sort of 'exclusivity' with regards to dubplates, and with the age of CDRs and MP3 dubs are only gonna become more widespread as more and more people who shouldn't have them play them out.

I tend to agree; as Motive says in the excellent interview on this very site, "If all labels suddenly switched to digital media I think piracy would become so rampant that what little money there is in drum&bass would disappear. So in that regard, vinyl should be maintained as the format of choice as it's basically a solution to piracy. "

Back
Top Bottom