do monitors make the difference?

MARKLAR

International Tracksuit Salesman
VIP Junglist
ive been using a souround sound thing for my tunes for god knows how long an im kinda getting more serious bout this thes days so im wondering if i got some relatively decent monitors would i notice much of a difference??
or would it help with my production??
also im on a laptop should i maybe upgrade to a pc??
^^ that wont be anytime soon tho!lol

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 ----------

oh and please post some good cheap options!

it wont help you musically, technically yes. and a huge yes for a million times better than any stereo speaker.

i use a laptop, not bothered.

cheap options - google : )

yea i didnt mean musically just to get mixdowns good an stuff is waht i want
cheers tho

Funny.. I was just reading an article about this a minute ago...

Propper studio monitors have a MUCH better response and more or less give you EXACTLY what the output actually sounds like instead of stereo speakers upping the highs or maybe the lows. In general they my not "sound" as fantastic when playing music through them but if you're mastering/ mixing down theen they are SO much better when it comes to identifying why a bass isnt sitting right or why a pad is conflicting with some of the percussion.

Look at it this way...

Stereo speakers/surround sound speakers/Your mums earphones etc... are like a 94 fiesta someone has modded. It might look ok. It might sound ok but essentially what is happening is someone has taken a shit car and tried to make it something its not.

WHERAS!...

Studio speakers... are like an Audi/Ferrari/BMW are all MADE to look good, sound good and most importantly... give you a level of quality and control that a fiesta can only dream of!

OK... Looking back, thats a shit analogy but I suppose you get what I mean. When you need something that gives you that much control in terms of sound creativity then NEVER go for stereo speakers!

Fuck me I should stop drinking...

Oh yeah... some 'cheap options'

Sorry mate. They are definately NOT going to be cheap but they will definately be worth the money!

EsI nEar 05 - (around) £202
KRK Rokit 5 - (around) £230 <-------------- Heard v. good things about these monitors
M-Audio BX8A Deluxe - (around) £299
Tannoy Reveal 5A - (around) £299 <-------------- Heard v. good things about these monitors
Samson Rubicon R6a - (around) £379
Genelec 6010A & 5040A - (around) £199 EACH
Yamaha HS80M - (around) £199 EACH

Hopefully thats a good enough overview of some that are avaliable!

Last edited:
i should stop drinkin cos that way to much words for me right now!haha

ill try an read it the day after tomorow cos i can see a bit of a hangover on the horizon

well, if you've been producing with your current stereo/surround/mono setup, and you're producing good tunes (I can tell your tunes aren't that bad cause i've heard a couple of them).
my point is, to get used to the stuff you have and get things to sound well in that system.

Apart, when you get the monitors, you won't be able to hear the difference at first but a couple of weeks after.
I found myself with the monitors (Fostex MKII 0.5) and was like "wtf, sounds well, but not that well", then when swapping between headphones, to other headphones, to other speakers, and then to the monitors, is when you can really tell the difference. The thing I do use the most my monitors for, are for the mixdowns and drums checking. Drums change SO MUCH if heard from headphones or from speakers because of the audio dynamics (just to point out).

With any choice you do, you'll be happy, believe me. Nothing out there that is sold as an improvement will result in any bad choice (imo).

get alesis m1 mk2s and youre sorted. and yeah, it makes THAT difference.

ALESIS+M1MK2+ACTIVE+MONITEUR+STUDIO.JPG

can be had for about £230-40... banging apparently, what i will get when i get round to it!

Just bought a pair of Yamaha HS80M's to go with my new PC. Haven't had a chance to test them for production yet, but hooked up my Roland Groovebox through them last night and the sound is incredibly clear, you can really pinpoint certain sounds in the frequency range. Like someone already said though, it may take a while to adjust your ears to the way your speakers work, which I guess is what it's all about - knowing how your speakers work with certain frequencies.

been looking into this as i am also interested into buying some monitors

if i buy passive speakers rather than active and have them going through this amp

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-audio/a1-version-3/camb-a1v3-blk

would that still give out a sound as good as just buying active speakers. I already have that amp and have quite a decent sub and a couple of quite old speakers and wanted to replace them with proper monitors as i use it for mixing and producing.

Or would i be better buying active monitor speakers to use for producing and then carrying on just using the amp, sub and speakers for mixing?

any advice is appreciated

as long as the frequency range is flat - who gives a fuck! lol joke. but seriously, monitors make the difference and you wont know what a flat frequency range really is until you get a good acousticly dampened room for your new monitors. the monitors could be the bollocks, ie the Rokits. but in a room with too much acoustic bullshit you probably wont fully benefit from em.

as long as the frequency range is flat - who gives a fuck! lol joke. but seriously, monitors make the difference and you wont know what a flat frequency range really is until you get a good acousticly dampened room for your new monitors. the monitors could be the bollocks, ie the Rokits. but in a room with too much acoustic bullshit you probably wont fully benefit from em.

Are the Rokits really that good?? I've heard from a lot of people to avoid them at all costs, as they don't convey a realistic representation of the sound...

Are the Rokits really that good?? I've heard from a lot of people to avoid them at all costs, as they don't convey a realistic representation of the sound...

i think they are absolutely fine mate, had a listen to them, they are going to be my next venture. The G2 5's are as good as the alesis M1 equivalent. they are up to my standards anyway ;)

Why what have you heard?

Also have you had a listen to a set?

im getting really conscious about buying them now. Not from sound quality but whether its a lasting issue or something - i aint made of money! lol

I dunno, I spent a long time deciding on what monitors to get and my initial thought was to go for the KRK's, but I asked a few friends and they said they're not actually that decent for monitoring when it comes to music production as they tend to hype up certain frequencies.

As for whether they last or not - I'm not too sure. I haven't heard of any issues with them not standing the test of time!

i got samson r5a a couple of weeks ago, give a really nice clear sound but i dont use them. ive got so used to using a sub when i write that it feels less fun when i write without it. im getting less serious about my production so i would rather have fun writing not-perfectly-mixed tracks then write perfectly mixed tracks but not vibe when doing so.

want to buy them off me nice price>?

i got samson r5a a couple of weeks ago, give a really nice clear sound but i dont use them. ive got so used to using a sub when i write that it feels less fun when i write without it. im getting less serious about my production so i would rather have fun writing not-perfectly-mixed tracks then write perfectly mixed tracks but not vibe when doing so.

want to buy them off me nice price>?

i dunno, but it feels like im saying that in every thread regarding monitors. dont get anything smaller than 6,5" bass cones cause otherwise you WILL miss out the most important frequencies within drum and bass.

oh and yeah, youre right. making drums and bass without hearing any bass is fucking annoying.

Back
Top Bottom