Do I need an audio interface for my monitors?

JimpaDirt

Vettvilling
VIP Junglist
Heya, just a quick question... I'm about to spend some money on a couple of monitors (krk 6's) and I do not have any idea how this works really... But to I need to have an audio interface to plug my monitors into or could I just wire it up to my computers audio output somehow?

Edit:

If I where to get and audio interface would something like this: http://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_ucontrol_uca_222.htm work or should I save up for something more advanced?

Thanks

Last edited:
You're best off getting something cheap like a focusrite scarlett 2i2 (upgrading to a 6i6 myself soon though due to getting some analogue hardware).
And a set of balanced XLR cables.

i have a fireface 400 and my krks into that. there are cheeper options like
i started off with m-audio tilll i could afford a better one.
the m-box is a good cheap one 1

Don't listen to all the BS. You can plug your monitors direct into your PC with some simple red / white phono leads. That's how I started with my KRK 6's. Sure, using an audio interface is better, but if you just shelled out for the monitors, chances are you aren't gonna wanna shell out more straight away on an interface

Don't listen to all the BS. You can plug your monitors direct into your PC with some simple red / white phono leads. That's how I started with my KRK 6's. Sure, using an audio interface is better, but if you just shelled out for the monitors, chances are you aren't gonna wanna shell out more straight away on an interface

True, Then you can actually save money instead of buying some cheap piece of kit that you use only for a short time.

Okay, so you can actually connect it up like that. Good to know! But I have got some money stored away so I'm considering getting an audio interface right away... I might as well. Thanks tho!

I have the U-Control 222. It's not bad in my (limited) experience. I'll definitely upgrade it when I can afford it. It did save my CPU some load at least. If you don't need that then I'd try direct and wait until you can get a Focusrite or such.

Thanks for that !
I talk bs then do i .....
If you are serious you might as well but decent stuff ... Standard
That's the way I did it. Bought krks rokit 8s and spent 100 on an m audio sound card for my pc, slot it in and away I went.

Last edited:
When i bought my studio monitors I had them wired directly to my computer for a month until i got my audio interface.Just buy the cable 2x trs or xlr to audio jack.But if you can afford an audio interface I highly recommend getting something like focusrite scarlett 2i2.Dont waste money for an interface under 100€.

Yeahh i would probably invest in the scarlet 2i2 like everyone else has said easier to control the sound level, plus you can hook up some headphones in you've got them... dont settle with anything else cheaper cuz trust me you will want to upgrade in a few months lol

Okay, so you can actually connect it up like that. Good to know! But I have got some money stored away so I'm considering getting an audio interface right away... I might as well. Thanks tho!
Fletch has got a good point, but if you di have the money an interface is definitely the way to go. Gives you extra inputs (can be a big deal depending on what you do) and gives you arguable better audio quality, not to mention the ability to use headphones.

I have a 2i2, which is probably the best option in terms of value for money.

I used a jack to phono for like 3 years lol. I got that Focusrite 2i2 thingy as well. does the job :)

Nice, thanks for all the help! Just ordered my krk's and I went for the focusrite 2i2 scarlet for my audio interface. Now I just have the joy of waiting for my stuff left. I'm probably too exited for my own good now...

Nice, thanks for all the help! Just ordered my krk's and I went for the focusrite 2i2 scarlet for my audio interface. Now I just have the joy of waiting for my stuff left. I'm probably too exited for my own good now...

that will do you just fine mate!
we all know what its like buzzzzzzziiiiiiiinnnnnnn

Back
Top Bottom