DNBFPC April 2010 - WINNER !

No one caught that I gave feedback on my own track? haha
yes, quite sad....

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

once again, the winner of this comp. haven't been a TIGHT production

what you mean, once again ? did you even follow the last competition ? and if so, you really think faust isnt a tight production ? you certainly could improve your sound by taking notice of what kama did on that tune.
logikz won this one because the mixdown suited the style of music. in your opinion, which tune in this comp should have won ?

what you mean, once again ? did you even follow the last competition ? and if so, you really think faust isnt a tight production ? you certainly could improve your sound by taking notice of what kama did on that tune.
logikz won this one because the mixdown suited the style of music. in your opinion, which tune in this comp should have won ?
CALM DOWN MAN! xDD
I'm not trying to harass anyone or so... it's just I'm very sincere with what I think always... even thought I try not to harm anybody's feelings... sorry
And yes,
i've seen many comps (not here obviously), and always the best mixdown and easiest listenable music is the winner (which is pretty obvious).
And imho, in technical terms of production (not commercial, listenable etc way of production) E should have won.
All of this in my opinion... and I hope it was E because I don't really remember it right if it was E... :teeth:
take it easy ;)

My thoughs on the rest of the tracks:

Entry I :

This massive piece starts strangely, the beat has a weird effect and it sounds very out of place on its own, but once the killer bass sets in it blends into the tune better. There is enough grit in the elements, and some of them, like the slew distorted bass goes beyond that and is over distorted, to a point where it starts losing tone. In this genre is particularly hard to keep things aggressive while still retaining some level of clarity, so extra points here for still managing to keep things relatively tight. While a lot can be masked with just throwing a lot at you, the structure is more problematic. There is a breakdown, but what comes after it doesnt really offer anything new, and all the cards are already at the table after the first 2 minutes - there is not much to justify the length of 4 minutes. There is a new synth, but adding it to the mixture only makes the mix too full to me.

Entry J:

The break that carries the beat is a bit thin, but as the rest of the tune isn't very massive either, that is not a big problem and it kind of suits the rest of the track well. The half tempo percussion/break thing balances the beat nicely. The background effects and ambiances are kept simple, and since there isn't much else in terms of texture, the track is left a bit in the background. The synth that starts after halfway through is a step in the right direction but on not enough to carry the track through all the way. There are good and interesting edits in the drums, but the track would've needed more of a 'hook', that special something. The eerie synth that stays on the complete run of the track is a nice touch however, and saves a lot from the emptiness of the FXs.

Entry K:

There is a similiar feel to this track to that of the previous entrant. The background is a bit more interesting with the vocal drifting in and out. Still there are same kind of things happening in this track in terms of keeping things fresh - it has more dramatic changes to its atmosphere but then again it lacks the little edits in the drums and bass department. There are fills, but they alone are not enough to keep things interesting the whole duration of the track. The synth is well built and sounds interesting, so it's a shame the line it plays is very basic 2 note thing. The beats are well constructed, and even though they lack some punch, they make up in crispness and clarity. Perhaps it could've benefited from some low percussion element to make the beat rumble a bit more.

Entry L:

The beat in the intro gives a good vibe and anticipates a good track. It's very well constructed and the shout sample is spot on. The oldskool bleepy synth is in the right place as well. So it is very strange that the bass is so overly loud and clipped. There is something going on under the bass in the track but it's hard to say what because the clipping in it effectively drowns out everything else. There are good and interesting fills and edits like the one before the breakdown, but again, the problem is that you can't really hear them properly. The second part also has enough to keep interest, changing the elements around and switching bass lines - though it also has a drawback. The part after the breakdown seems somehow detached, maybe changing too frequently and too much. Smaller, gradual changes would've kept the structure together better. Despite the horrible mix of the bass, the track is good, but unfortunately that doesn't save much.

Entry M:

The basswork on this track is one of the best of the competition. The sound is thick, and the bassline has a good 'attitude' to it. The drums are interesting and the panning makes the break/hihats/whatisit very airy and spacious. The higher synth sound complements the bass very well in the easier middle part (and I think it's even the same sound without the sub), so that the breakdown in the middle doesn't feel separate and glued-on. The weak point in this track are the drums. It might the mix and how little there is space for them after the huge fat bass, but they don't quite slice through to the listener as to the mood in the track. Their sound is alright but they simply lack the force to take control of the rhythm in the tune. In situations like these, it's often necessary to compress the whole track - then you can also drive the beats harder. In dnb this is hard to achieve as it's difficult to get a nice groove to the release time due to the high tempo.

Alright, that is it from me. Peace.

Entry M:

The basswork on this track is one of the best of the competition. The sound is thick, and the bassline has a good 'attitude' to it. The drums are interesting and the panning makes the break/hihats/whatisit very airy and spacious. The higher synth sound complements the bass very well in the easier middle part (and I think it's even the same sound without the sub), so that the breakdown in the middle doesn't feel separate and glued-on. The weak point in this track are the drums. It might the mix and how little there is space for them after the huge fat bass, but they don't quite slice through to the listener as to the mood in the track. Their sound is alright but they simply lack the force to take control of the rhythm in the tune. In situations like these, it's often necessary to compress the whole track - then you can also drive the beats harder. In dnb this is hard to achieve as it's difficult to get a nice groove to the release time due to the high tempo.

Alright, that is it from me. Peace.

Cheers for the feedback man :) I agree about the drums but am unsure of how to get them sounding more powerful. I know about side chain compression but havn't got a clue how to use it in cubase.

CALM DOWN MAN! xDD
I'm not trying to harass anyone or so... it's just I'm very sincere with what I think always... even thought I try not to harm anybody's feelings... sorry
And yes,
i've seen many comps (not here obviously), and always the best mixdown and easiest listenable music is the winner (which is pretty obvious).
And imho, in technical terms of production (not commercial, listenable etc way of production) E should have won.
All of this in my opinion... and I hope it was E because I don't really remember it right if it was E... :teeth:
take it easy ;)

wheeeey. thanks Neo

I think all the entries were sick. I don't think there is a single track I didnt like. good comp anyway. bring on Numero 3!

heres a tip neomind, follow up your negative comment with something constructive and you wont come off like such a negative nancy, or 'jizz bag', as they also call it.

define constructive!
I always give "negative" (things I don't like) because I like the rest of it all (songs or whatever it is)
Then when I find something I don't like or I think it's wrong, I mainly give some suggestions on how to improve it.
I ALWAYS give feedback at the New Talent and Track revews subforum, specially to those who haven't got any replys, and most of the time I think that the feedback I give is very constructive

I try my best not to sound harrassive... ;)

of course you think so, plus the fact youre perfectly able to make that abrasive fucking nonsense you call music (skullstep), and we congratulate you on that, but as a writer, as someone trying to help another man as such, youve got a lot of growing up to do buddy.

Back
Top Bottom