DNBForum Sample Pack Competition ENTRIES!

Choose your favourite track!

• Leniz

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Henry

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • d-low

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • DJ Paranoia

• scrTchs

• Birkett Beatz

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Rounder

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shit bollocks and fuck. I thought there was still time to finish what I started.

Good competition though, was hard to decide my fav, which goes to d-low.

Apologies in advance if any of this sounds a little harsh. I genuinely liked all the entries and enjoyed listening to them on the journey to work. Tried to find something positive and constructive in all the below.

Leniz - Good production. Like the atmospherics and risers. Drums sound nice and crisp. I think it would benefit from a clear hook to give it some structure. Some of the swirly atmospheric sections didnt really go anywhere.

Henry - Managed to get the most out of the drums samples, much crisper than any of the other entries. Would like to know how you processed them? Probably the most accessible of the entries, nice drums, smooth bassline and a pleasing melody.

d-low - My pick of the bunch. Great movement in the bass samples. Seems a little more polished than the other entires.

DJ Paranoia - Not really my style but I can appreciate the amount of work that must have gone into the drum edits. Nice clean production.

scrTchs - Sounded really good in the car, bass was warm and the drums sounded sharp. I found the organ melody (1:35) a little discordant though, might have been intentional.

Birkett Beatz - Liked the movement in the bass growls. Drums are crisp but a little bit steppy. Needs a bit of work in the final mix and was noticably quieter than some of the others.

Rounder - First listen after a few weeks. One of the snares is a little crunchy and I could have dialled the reverb back a bit. Reasonably happy with the outcome.

Thanks again for taking the time to put the samples together. Didn't really have any issues with them at all but there were moments when I was desperate for a shaker and crash cymbal. A few more percussive elements in the next pack would be great :)

This is the kinda feedback I expect to see, nice one dude, I'm sure all the producers would be happy with those feedbacks, there's some I agree with in there, won't say which since I have to do feedback next week anyway.

And cheers for feedbacking our pack too, that's been taken into consideration!

@d-low took it for me...

Love the kinda distorted high/low pass filter on the rise and fall of the hi-hats on the intro, thought they weren't going to work at all when the main intro drums/atmospherics came in, but you absolutely nailed it, nothing like a surprise of thinking something isn't going to work then being proven the opposite, the space created by the break before the drop with the eerie, tripped out soundscapes and the inters-parsed re-introduction of that distorted rise and fall filter on the hi-hat line + choice snare hit, is just right to create the right amount of tension/anticipation... Which doesn't disappoint at all, drop is straight up fire tbh! Proper balls out stomper, pull faces at your mum kinda flex... :lol: :rodigan:

Only criticism I would have, which is a total minor, is, I was expecting a little bit more/maybe a big twist on the 2nd drop... It didn't disappoint by any means, just felt it could have surprised a bit more, or given me a bit more of a kick in the knackers!

Top work bud :2thumbs:

nice little comp here everybody.....well done. im a fan of options drums and he didnt dissapoint again. i liked a lot of these tunes and no need to call them out as they were all good but options tune had nice surprises with in the tune and kept me interested. Top work fellas.

@d-low took it for me...

Love the kinda distorted high/low pass filter on the rise and fall of the hi-hats on the intro, thought they weren't going to work at all when the main intro drums/atmospherics came in, but you absolutely nailed it, nothing like a surprise of thinking something isn't going to work then being proven the opposite, the space created by the break before the drop with the eerie, tripped out soundscapes and the inters-parsed re-introduction of that distorted rise and fall filter on the hi-hat line + choice snare hit, is just right to create the right amount of tension/anticipation... Which doesn't disappoint at all, drop is straight up fire tbh! Proper balls out stomper, pull faces at your mum kinda flex... :lol: :rodigan:

Only criticism I would have, which is a total minor, is, I was expecting a little bit more/maybe a big twist on the 2nd drop... It didn't disappoint by any means, just felt it could have surprised a bit more, or given me a bit more of a kick in the knackers!

Top work bud :2thumbs:

thanks man i realy appreciate the feedback, I wish i had spent more time on it but im thinking about re-opening it and trying to finish the job.. maybe with some additional breaks, Totally agree there, I wanted to vary the bass a little more on the second drop but didnt have enough time to work out something a bit more funky. cheers mate!

I enjoyed the sample pack, maybe lacking in a few percussive elements but that’s what makes it more of a challenge I think so not a bad thing. There was plenty in there to work with.

with the break I used the audio assault transient shaper and turned the sustain down a bit witch tightened it up a bit. Then just a bit of eq.
Find your own elements?

Good Idea!

So... A half decent turn out for this one but some of the regulars seem to have overlooked it? If were going to do this more often and develop new ideas for the competitions can i ask that as many of you get involved as possible?

Anyway, some great submissions here and a lot of quality concepts, i did feel drums lacked on pretty much every track but how did you find the drum samples we provided? Did you gents see issue with the sample pack in particular with drums? And in general what could we have done to make that pack better? Personally i tried a few different concepts and didn't see issue with drums but i did go straight for the chopped amens :lol:

I think were aiming to give some feedback to all of you guys is that right @SteveR94? Do please remember however when we feedback we tend to be brutal since we know that's the only way artists will improve and there is no rudeness intended. The forum is an excellent place to learn new techniques and meet like minded individuals, so take any criticisms with a pinch of salt end enjoy making the tunes.

Again big ups if you took the time to submit a track to us and good luck...
This^^^^

Last edited:
I've digged elements in all tracks so far. It was a close one between d-low, Leniz and Rounder for me.

d-low was the winner for me in the end. Really liked how different elements in the track alternated between each other (Use of filters, from High to Low an so on), which created alot of variation for me while listening. Liked the playfulness.

Kudos to all participants. Alot of talent here. :2thumbs:

I enjoyed the sample pack, maybe lacking in a few percussive elements but that’s what makes it more of a challenge I think so not a bad thing. There was plenty in there to work with.

with the break I used the audio assault transient shaper and turned the sustain down a bit witch tightened it up a bit. Then just a bit of eq.
Love that vst one of my favorites

Just to remind everyone that this Friday evening, the winner will be revealed as per mine and Manu's decision.

Judging by the votes, it looks like two people will get to have bragging votes and be the Production's Popular Winner, but who knows... will @d-low & @Henry Drum & Bass stay tied, or will one of our other 5 entrants swoop in to be the popular vote winner?

Who knows?

:eek:

PS: The next competition can slowly go underway as we speak.
First clue as to the competition, it shall be named the "We're all friends at DNBForum" competition.

Make of that what you will...

Back
Top Bottom