Dnbforum production compo reviews by Sammy Dexcell!

logikz

I Am Not The King
@Sammy Dexcell Dexcells reviews for the finalists as it stood when he wrote it. Sammys reviews werent in the private judges forum because they were (in normal Sammy spirit :) ) written the same day i asked him if he wanted to be a judge, and came to me in a PM. Sorry for this Sammy, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this and really hope you will judge more compos for us!!

The folling compo will have a cash prize, so i hope you arent too pissed off with me and will join either as a constestant or as a judge, really do!!!

so without furtehr ado, sammys reviews!!

For me in no particular order It's a toss up between ;

Track : D, E, F, I, N

I can narrow that down to D / N.
And now its down to preference. I really like the vibe of N but the production on D is almost flawless.
If i had to nit pick, i could personally improve N, whereas i cant say the same for D. I think its the most complete. By that I mean the Mixdown, Arrangement and the Production quality.

Here's my reviews on each track:

Ok I skipped A. of course.

Track B

Really good intro, instruments and elements go well. Sample that was used works nicely. drop sounds weak due to the choice of drums.

5/10

Track C

Decent intro, good use of sample. Vibe is there but the drums let this one down slightly, structure is a bit strange. build up is good. Drop is lacklustre due to the strange use of hats. pad/drone make it sound like it hasn't dropped.

4/10

Track D

Great intro, does everything at the right times, arrangement is great. Like the production here. sounds complete as a track.

9/10

Track E

Intersteller track, all round its a decent tune and works well with the vibe and feel of the sample. It doesnt do enough imo and is more of an easy listening track. And taking that into account it will be hard to judge this along side some of the other entries. Overall i like this one though. and can see the potential.

7/10

Track F

Babadook sample used is sick. I would actually love to remix this one and make it a filthy dancefloor track. I may completely jack your idea. The execution needs work in this one but that build up will destroy a club. the terminator style horn you got is sick. The drop is a bit messy. due to the drums, and the use of the bass snare is letting it down a bit imo. Mixdown needs work but will come together with attention to detail. Does all the right things though, arrangement is great. Not feeling the switch up with the arp though. I get the idea but the execution needs some work.
I personally love this one, due to me hating the film so much! Stand out sample imo

7(8)/10

Track G

Intro is great, love the live feel of this. Reminds me of some old Mutt tracks. The drop doesn't quite work with me, sounds very messy, with those drums and the instruments that are used its just muddying up the frequencies and making it hard to vibe with. Good ideas, but less is probably more with this one.

5/10

Track H

Not heard that style of chior in a dnb intro, could actually work....ok no.... cant comment, or listen any further

1/10

Track I

Subfocus/ram vibes im getting from the intro. Drop needs work i like the ideas but theres some attention to detail which takes away from the overall vibe. The drums havent been cut properly and almost sound like they are clashing at the end of some bars.
Good ideas but needs more work.

6/10

Track J

Human traffic sample just seems inserted in to fill a gap. sounds and elements including the arrangement just sound messy. Can't catch the vibe on this one. sounds confusing.

4/10

Track K

Intro is decent drums are good. Build up is great. Drop is decent, doesnt do much bass is overpowering the frequencies in the track. making it hard to catch a proper vibe. Really good effort and close to a complete track.

6/10

Track L

Cant comment on this one, really messy.

2/10

Track M

This track sounds very messy also.

2/10

Track N

Great intro sounds. Ivy Lab Vibes. drums sound a bit messy but i like the vibe. Perfect setup, excellent bass to bring in. great use of sample. sounds like a raw and old technimatic type track. Really like this.

9/10

Track O

Sounds very confusing, cant really catch a vibe?

2/10

@IV4
@Dark Lizardro
@subprime
@Derelicts Of Tomorrow
@JAGZ
@Brex
@Sulihin
@RUSSLA
@scrTchs
@wingz
@Evizon
@xiris
@Gloxxy
@miszt
@lasiien
@MARKLAR
@Ackroyd
@Exxcessivve
@Solace
@Blend 107
@blend107
@dnbforum
@$marty
@Apostata

In no particular order. So! whos up for the next compo! This time its a joint venture between dnbforum and or good buddies over at Detached Audio!

There will be CASH prizes for 1st 2nd and 3rd winners, plenty of DA goodies (stickers, posters, tshirts, free mp3 downloads, who knows maybe @ManuForti will even throw in some vinyl!)
and the concept is simple, its a remix compo, you get the stems, you can add whatever you like and the winner will be celebrated mightily with a release on DA!

orrrrrrrrrrrr maybe not, i dont quite recall much else than the cash prizes, thats wheen i stoppped listening and started conceptualizing in my head.

but maybe its too soon, i dont know, what do you say men? and the leaders of DA have to spealk on it too:

ok great job everybody! see you on the next compo!!!

Last edited:
I'm down, but I plan to not be a stupid a$$ this time and take as much time as offered to fine tune, My last entry was probably the worst thing I've let anyone here in a long time. Classic case of don't decide your track is done while drinking and high as fuck, live and learn I guess :(

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea, the prize is a nice bonus but I would imagine that getting involved with compo and being judged on the efforts will keep the drive going for it.

Money is always nice :p

You here that folks. were gonna be rich with that oil money!

Can't wait.

Cheers Logikz! Yea put me down for the next compo was really feeling the output on this one ;)
I much prefer the more general direction of freedom instead of holding people back by being forced into using certain samples.

Apologies to the people I have offended with my cruel 'no holds barred' comments. I've always had my production slated in order to get it to a decent level (even to this day) I hate to sugar coat shit so please don't take any of my personal-preference-nit-picking to heart.

Also, feel free to hit me up an let me know if you feel any type of way, ill be happy to go into detail :teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

Everybody needs to remember, DONT VOTE FOR DARK LIZARDOS track. We can't let him win.

Everybody needs to remember, DONT VOTE FOR DARK LIZARDOS track. We can't let him win.

Don't worry, it's one of my tracks that's gonna be remixed! This doesn't mean I can't do a remix by using a different artist name, right?

Maybe (as @Catsel suggested) I'm gonna call it Dark Butt?

Anyways we'll set this up and when time is right we post the rules and where to get the stems. It's goona be a good challenge, IMO.

Wingz would have been the winner anyway with your vote included Sammy. Track N was head and shoulders above the rest. I just love that pulsating bass.

@logikz I'm definitely up for judging the next compo.
Track N was awesome! Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom