DNBForum production competition RESULTS !!! (fo real)

moriaty

VIP Junglist
Right then! we have the results. read them and weep, or rock! :teeth:
just bear in mind that fes didnt manage to submit scores, due to circumstances that were out of his control.

#1 Kama !

congrats mate, a well deserved victory, and someone who im certain that will put the sample pack in good use. get in touch to sort out your prize.
EDIT: goldbaby has very kindly offered to match the prize, with an extra sample pack for the winner. not only their recording skills are hot, but these guys are very sorted too. you should all go buy their products. or at least email them some nice nude pictures..

Here’s the finalists’ break down:

1st: Kama - Faust - 101 points - http://soundcloud.com/kama
2nd: Lucid - Better than nothing - 93 points - http://soundcloud.com/luciduk
3rd: Logikz - Heartburst - 91 points
4th: Kirilov - iRelapse (verbum sapiens) - 87 points
5th: Dimenzion-X – Genetics (mr.fletch) - 83 points - http://soundcloud.com/mr-fletch

check the next posts for some of the judge's comments on the finalists

and here’s who’s who of the dnb entrants. Feel free to discuss in this thread methods that were used in tunes, im sure the producers wouldn’t mind sharing some tips ;)
im also happy to write a few words for anyone that would like feedback on their tune, so hit me up

Nordic Beach - Deep In Her Head (PutteAtte)
Krispy - Drug Nightmare - soundcloud.com/krispy
Lethargik - Fisti Cuff (3xit) - http://soundcloud.com/lethargik
Wrigzilla - Go On Drum
Demonic – Heyheyhey - http://soundcloud.com/demonicdnb
Phoca - Human Rites (subprime) - http://soundcloud.com/subprime
Deadaelus – Nightmares - http://soundcloud.com/deadaelus
Oria – Nightmares [II] - http://soundcloud.com/oria
Vicious Beats - The Green Room - http://soundcloud.com/vicious-beatz

http://soundcloud.com/dnbforumproductioncomp/sets/dnbfpc-march-2010

please let me know if i missed anyone's soundcloud or other method of plugging.

and of course, our non dnb entrants, where a massive battle took place. Seriously guys, im not bullshiting to seem nice, it was almost impossible to pick a single winner.
But unfortunately it had to be done, so the non dnb winner is:

jimjimjim! Nice one!

Ive already got in touch with jim about the prize, and once everything is confirmed, i will be letting everyone know too.

Here’s all non dnb entries:

BDS – Chalice
http://soundcloud.com/mass-2/tracks

very special tune, it would have been an excellent track and a complete arrangement if it had a hip hop vocal over it, but as it is it couldn’t compete with the others. I may have a vocalist just right for this, will get in touch mate!

Alexi – Melt
http://soundcloud.com/alexi

Brilliant track. well composed, evokes very positive and warm feelings, whilst packing enough power to move a dancefloor. But it didn’t got full marks as it lacked any elaborate sonic manipulation, and creation of new sounds from the given samples. Still, probably my personal fav, and one that ive listened the most.

Dj Marlok - Toxic Chemicals
http://www.myspace.com/djscdubstep

A very close second to the winner. Excellent work here, with menacing midrange, deep subs, and breakneck snares. Varied arrangement, but faithful to its groove, and a very Chuck Norris mood all around. Such a brilliant tune and a fresh sound compared to all crappy wobbly dubstep that’s around right now. If this was a dubstep orientated comp, you’d have definitely won. But “toxic” just stood better as a non dnb track.

JimJimJim – Toxic

This is a great example of creative manipulation without unnecessary bells and whistles. A simple bassline, simple layering of one shots and old breakbeats, and very elaborate work on the dialogue chopping, and the pitch mangling of the drums. I played this tune to many people that aren’t familiar with dance tracks, and they all thought it was a great song. Excellent work jim.

just want to give a massive shout to the judges for submitting such detailed scores and comments, it’s really appreciated. and also respect to everyone who got involved in one way or another, be that entrant, poster, donator, or just watcher, cheers!
I will finalise the next competition this week, and hopefully release it on Monday. And if everyone warms up to it as much as they did with this one, im sure it will go even better.

Peash!

Last edited:
Faust

Good use of sweeping atmospheric effects and high passed bass in the intro. The twinkling high synth melody keeps me interested throughout the tune. It didn't get boring after repeated listens. Drums sound crisp and punch through loudly in the mix. Excellent use of percussion, It almost sounds as if a drummer could have drummed this in a studio session.
This producer must have been producing for quite a while to get to this stage of sound design. Their sound has been firmly stamped onto this tune. This track certainly isn't anything that hasn't been done before but has been executed very well.
Another track that wouldn't sound too out of place in a rave. It had a lot of energy and ticked the right boxes for a jump up track. I thought the track was very similar to a lot of other tracks I have heard in the past but it still had some originality.
Drop didn’t have a lot of impact, some freq clashes in the mix too. Sounds like a lot of jump up to me personally but a tad darker.

Better Than Nothing

The samples melded together very well to make a melodic intro. The wah guitar strum sample that came 32 bars in didn't sit right in the mix for me though. The bassline melody sounds catchy but is a bit to melancholic, i got a bit bored of it after a few listens. Mixdown sounds good. All the elements of the track can be heard clearly in the mix. Good use of the given samples although most of them were used in their default form.
It's a very bouncy/happy number and I could imagine this working quite well on a dancefloor. The atmosphere was great. Wasn't too keen on the vocal sample in there, i thought it didn't really go great with the vibe of the tune.
It has unique elements, but it reminded me a lot of early zinc (especially with the filter before the breakdown).

The track is pretty clear, the reason i didnt give it a bigger mark was due to the track not having as much weight as i think it could / should have.

Heartburst

The intro builds nicely into the drop. Good use of filters and delay. The bassline is composed over 8 bars which is split into 2 parts of 4 bars. The first 4 bars sounds fine but the 2nd 4 bar part of the bassline sounds slightly out of key.
There isn't a lot of variation throughout the track and it could have been broken up, maybe with a breakdown, key change or transition of some kind.

This was the worst mixdown of the finalists. A lot of the elements sounded dull and the overall volume of the mix was quite quiet compared to other finalist tracks. Its almost as if this tune was made and mixed in the early 90's with its raw under produced sound and feel and poor sound quality.

This track was quite an original entry and was a unique entry in the competition. I felt that this was the most original track out of all the entries in the competition let alone the final. The mixdown seemed a little fuzzy and I felt it could have done with a bit more clarity to it.
I enjoyed listening through it, forgetting mixdown this was a good tunealot of this is out of key, definitely needs work. The arrangement is really good, not including the key clashes the producer has really gone for something different and tried to push the boundaries.I’m giving this a good mark for originality, good work.

IRelapse

The soundscape created with pads and low end rumble in the intro is dark and ominous and builds to the drop perfectly. Use of filters on the intro is excellent and creates a real sense of suspense. The bass is low and subby but extremely clear in the mix.This is quite an original tune with a definite sound and vibe to it that the producer has firmly stamped. A really well thought out track, although a little on the short side.My personal favourite out of the finalists, a step out of the norm. A despairing dark and moody atmosphere is created from the offset which is added upon by a monster techy drop. Another really tripped out track thats not of the norm. Really inteligent and the use of the samples was terrific. The only thing I didn't like was the telephone ring.
I would have liked to have heard it lead into a proper 4x4 beat midway through the track to pick up the pace and take the track up a level. Give it a boost of energy.

The track is quite short but i still found myself getting a little bored towards the end of it. Mixdown isnt bad, i think overall it needs more power. Bass gets a bit monotonous for me, similar to what dubstep I hear about which i am not a fan of.

Genetics

The bassline melody is good but because it is then played all the way through the track it gets a bit monotonous. There isn't enough variation in the drums. Each 8 or 16 bar phase could have ended with some better drum work other than a kick drum and snare roll.
I love that Reese bass. The way it drones and growls is great. The basis for some epic bassline manipulation was there but I think lack of production knowledge and skills prevented them from achieving this. The drums sound tight, loud and punchy. I was not keen on the string pad that came in during the 1st phase.
This tune was a weird one for me. It started with a lot of promise when the reese bass came in but the strange arrangement and choice of samples/elements let the track down for me.
A good use of samples. The track packed quite a punch and had my head nodding. Good drum structure. They really snapped. Nice gritty lead. Liked how the track gained more energy on the second drop. It was a good track but it needed a bit more to it to keep my attention. I'd probably play this one.

good effort with the writing, the synths and fx all have their own mark, some of the sounds still sound a little raw and unprocessed. Mixdown definitely needs work, but keep working whoever made it, i can see you know what you want in a tune and that’s the main thing.

Last edited:
Excellent work once again entrants. It was a pleasure hearing all tracks. Big ups to Kama aswell. Well played sir.

Well done Kama good track mate!

Was loving that hearburst though, was a shame the mix wasnt better otherwise that would have won by a clear mile imo

Last edited:
Special mentions to Karl for "Heartburst" and Kirilov for that "Irelapse" track. Both were very interesting to hear! Word is bond gents.

word is bond indeed. i voted for kirilov to begin with, as its mood just resonated a lot with me. and the guy's like 17 ! big tings to come from romania.
and agree with zeal, karl's tune is just a great piece of music. i blame all the super smashed bangers, which no matter how huge they sound on a big rig, most cant touch logikz's work for sheer musicality and groove. especially when you consider that the man is clinically insane...:teeth:

wat?

halle-berry-oscars.jpg

Makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside! I'd thought iRelapse a winner for sure tho, I'm surprised as it was a personal favourite.

Thanks for the judges, you will receive your brown envelopes shortly.

mate, you got no idea how bloodyhard it was to choose between you and jim. yours is an excellent dub track, and id love to do some work with you on something similar sometime. (y)
btw, are you on cubase ?

nice one mate.
i use reason 4 but im sure theres some way of workin something out!

yep, let the next one rooooolllll, i will make sure not to do some shitty change up this time..... seems people like the corny stuff...

Big ups to kama, but gotta say better than nothing was my personal fave, links to artist soudclouds???? or lucid's :P

congrats to all who entered - was good fun.

I cant believe i won the non dnb section i thought for sure marlok's track would get it.
oldskool power !

:rave:

Congratulations Kama. Overall the best produced track won.

Big mention to Kirilov. I absolutely loved iRelapse.

I'm sure the standard of these production comps will get better and better everytime.

Massive big up to Gordo. Without his dedication this would never have happened.

Special mention to all of the judges for taken the time out to listen to the tracks on repeat for hours.

The competition helped me focus to get my first 'own' project completed (to a point) for nearly a decade, and was very enjoyable to get back into playing with samples after such a long time off making sounds. There were some much stronger entries which i have learnt a lot from listening in detail to, in fact I still have all the entries on my mp3 player lol. Has helped me to focus on mixdowns, eq'ing and arrangement, i will probably re-work what i submitted before sharing to friends !! Thanks to Gordo for pulling it altogether and to the entrants for making some great tracks. I've got a few comments on other tracks which i will share if that is the done thing (??) and I`m hoping other entrants and/or judges will be able to give me some pointers on my track Nightmares (II) so i know what they liked and/or didn't like, and hopefully will be able to put something into a future competition !!

wat?

halle-berry-oscars.jpg

Makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside! I'd thought iRelapse a winner for sure tho, I'm surprised as it was a personal favourite.

Thanks for the judges, you will receive your brown envelopes shortly.

Haha.. joker... Well done mate and to everyone else.

and i think in some way... *looks to the sunset* ...you're all winners...

Back
Top Bottom