dnbforum DECEMBER COMPO discussion thread! concepts, themes, ideas, and all!

logikz

I Am Not The King
hello everyone!
so because of the totally unexpected success of our last compo, Junglefever suggested we should do another one!
which is a great idea! and if a theme so vauge and artsy and leftfield as 'water'
can spawn that many awesome tunes, i didnt think it would work at all actually, but it did, and it worked very well i may add, so i think weve got a really capable bunch of producers, capable of coming up with something good on pretty much any theme, so if you got any suggestions please say it, anything you can think of, anything at all, just put it on the bus and see if it gets off at wallstreet. just put it on the flag pole and see if it flaps in the wind, like so many flags do. send it down the lake and see if he doesnt come back with fish. thats from a movie but i forgot which one and misquoted it anyway, but you get the idea!
doesnt have to be all crazy and abstract neither, so from something standard like jungle techno compo (with sample pack maybe?) to outer space drum and bass (without sample pack maybe?) which jimbo suggested earlier today. or remix something? with or without the stems? or no u-turn techstep compo? well ok maybe not, but techstep is fun to make so that could be an idea in some form or another. maybe techno, who can make the housiest dnb? some restriction maybe, like only use plugs with purple GUIs or only samples from the radio, or something with white noise? i think recording original vocals should be allowed whatever theme we go with.

so suggestions for the december compo please!

my suggestion is house music, who can make the housiest dnb track. or, what about making a track using mainly white, brown and pink noise for drums? those arent so good suggestions actually, im going to have to get back to you on that.

CONTESTANTS:
so far weve got
me
junglefever
phat sam
sam the dnb man
jimbo
pretty herb
mistasfx
iv4
jimpadirt
parsons19
suhilin
attire

thats twe;ve! who else is in? we need about ten to fifteen, a cool theme and a sample pack (or not!) and were good to go!

theres going to be a real prize this time round too! guitar pedal maybe, but sample pack more probably.

im putting up the poll now for the theme

Last edited:
I was thinking that we could do something in a different time signature. Really fuck it up abit. 5/4 or 7/8. I dunno.
We could have a sample pack full of recorded sounds or something. Silly things like hitting a dustbin lid with a pair of longjohns whilst singing friday by Rebecca black.
These could provide the lead. The entire composition needs to be based around these sounds.

No bassleads or pads in the sample pack. I dunno.

I

we already did a compo with record your own sounds, and it was absolutely awesome. but i see what you mean with the sample pack, because that compo didnt have a theme. i like jimbos outer space idea, what about that? and a sample pack?

ok lets throw some ideas out there:
1. outer space
2. apocalypse - end of the world
3. get stems of a real cheezsy pop song and totally dnb it up
4. only make tune at 145bpm (could be a new genre lol)
:D

awesome iv4, any suggestions as to what we might be doing with this time? i think a sample pack should be involved, unless we are remixing something or whatever. also, a real prize will be up for grabs, i think a guitar pedal could be fun to compete for? but we need to put in a few euros each for that to happen, we did a collection for the prize back when gordo was running the compo and the winner got 2 goldbaby packs. man those packs are good!

i really like all those suggestions jimbo, cept there already is a genre at 145 specifically. haha embers compo!!

pretty herb, winter is a great theme, frost and snow and dark and cold. could be a winner.

mistasfx it has to be dnb, i think we all want to exercize our dnb chops.

kama we would appreciate you doing the sample pack, soon as we have agreed on the theme, youll be the firsts to know.
sooner you can get the theme, sooner we get the pack and we can get started.
i think we should have a sample pack regardless of theme, unless we remix a pop song, in which case stems would be good, but not, and check this out, not absolutely necessary!

so
1. outer space compo
2. apocalypse compo
3. remix a pop song with stems (but like what? where do we get the stems to a pop song? you know i once had tina turners aint no mountiain high enough stems, that could be an idea?)
4. winter theme compo
5. rebirth style compo, 808/909 drums, tb303 and a stand alone synth like the Nordlead Modular G2 Editor, Oxe, or something similar. Like Hexter v1.2!! should be doable for reason users too, im sure the thor can do a decent 303, or youll just have to install rebirth again and do loops from there. could be an idea? i think that sounds really fun to do
6. gabber dnb
7. industrial dnb with machine-sounds sample pack

Last edited:
Im up for this, missed out on the last one so I have some catching up to do I guess!

Perhaps something machine or factory inspired type of thing would be cool as a suggestion.

Willing to give this a go regardless of theme! :) Just depends if I dig the sample pack or I have writers block at the time the comp starts :(

so are these themes alright to do a poll for now then? are we good to go by voting between these themes?

1. outer space compo
2. apocalypse compo
3. remix a pop song with stems (but like what? where do we get the stems to a pop song? you know i once had tina turners aint no mountiain high enough stems, that could be an idea?)
4. winter theme compo
5. rebirth style compo, 808/909 drums, tb303 and a stand alone synth like the Nordlead Modular G2 Editor, Oxe, or something similar. Like Hexter v1.2!! should be doable for reason users too, im sure the thor can do a decent 303, or youll just have to install rebirth again and do loops from there. could be an idea? i think that sounds really fun to do. of course thats a sample pack issue more than a theme really, but it should prove interesting
6. gabber dnb
7. industrial dnb with machine-sounds sample

but yeah does anyone truly detest the thought of any of these being our theme because if not, ill do a poll right now?

Last edited:
A lot of people want to do a different genera. I say if we do that it has to be something not already established. For example, 190 tempo at 3/4 count. Anything else should be drum and bass.
December is Christmas time so we should have some sort of Holiday theme. I also like the outer space idea and think it would be fun to do Christmas in Space.
As far as money goes I would love to chip in. However, I have four kids to three different mother and shit load of child support plus it is Christmas so I am broke. I would be more than Happy if I won(as if I had the chance) to not get a prize. The fun of the compo would be enough for me.

no problem big man, the money thing is secondary, i put up my green behringer pedal that elzerk won offa me that one time. but it did seem to make people just work that much harder. well probably do a sample pack for prize again then. no christmas jungle, no postman pat dnb and no damn engeland-engeland-englelaaaaand herewego-herewego-herewegooooo football dnb either. the bpm is up to you, as is the time sig, long as it its dnb.
what about strickly using a stand alone modular synth like bazille would that be funny? or too advanced maybe. attire asked if the sample pack could be a little more challanging and basic this time, and depending on the contestants, id say yes. last compo had 11 contestants, were just about there, alls we need is agree on a theme, so lets put it to a vote before the hours too late shall we?

Back
Top Bottom