DNBF PRODUCTION COMPO - WINNER - 2015

RUSSLA

Technique
VIP Junglist
Roll up roll up bitches.. This year hosted a serious amount of talent and honestly we all found it quite a tricky job having to judge this! We picked 3 categories to judge on out of 10; Musicality, Production Techniques and, Mixdown. With that in mind we are all super happy to announce the winner of this years production compo............

!!!! WINGZ - TRACK D !!!!
------------------
!!!! BIG UP YOUR BADSELF, WICKED TUNE!!!!

!!!! Your prize is a mix and master by the one like FANU !!!!

In 2nd place we have.......

!!!! JAGZ - TRACK K !!!!

3rd place goes to ....

!!!! KYBA - TRACK I !!!!
4th place won by...

!!!! CATALYST - TRACK E !!!!

And by no means last..

!!!! SOLACE - TRACK N !!!!

As we are all such gents we've gone in a written some comments and thoughts about each of the finalists. First of all we will start with the winner and then the following posts will 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. We hope you all find this useful and of course with any comments and criticism; you are free to take it or leave it (y) This first post will only contain feedback for the winner, runner up feedback to follow.

Big thanks to everyone that took part, this is by far the most amount of entries and votes that we've seen and the standard of entries is more than encouraging for the future of dnb! I'm sure we'll see some of you on the big stages soon!

Bigggg thanks to IV4 for being a massive legend in putting all this together, shouts to Fanu for offering up 1st place and final shout to the judges for their efforts; Gloxxy, Liz and Miszt! Also, something about Logikz too, somewhere, somehow.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st PLACE - TRACK D - OBSOLESCENT

Gloxxy's Feedback

The intro to this track is very well put together. The suspense is evident from the start with droning pad and high passed and distorted vocal samples leading into the ‘WOW’ synth sound to-ing and fro-ing as the shuffling drums kick in. So many FX and samples in here. Super snappy snare, thumping bass drum and shuffling hi hats make you want to get up and dance. The riser leading up to the breakdown lets you know that a change in the tune is coming and the low pass filter is used to perfection to lead into the breakdown. And what a breakdown! That lead synth mid bass is so menacing! It leaves you wanting to know what the drop will bring! The drop doesn’t disappoint me either! The mid bass with the sub bass layered underneath it sounds phat but the low end bass line that following the mid bass in the 2nd bar is super phat! Oh lordy that bass line scoops low in the frequency range. I’d like to hear this on the Valve Sound System! The two bass lines sound like they are talking to each other; something I always look for in a good DnB tune. Production techniques in this track are excellent and super advanced. Filter work, effects, risers, bass design and general sound design are superb. I would play this in my sets. This producer has honed their skills for a number of years, surely?

Musicality: 8/10
Mixdown: 8/10
Production Techniques: 10/10
TOTAL: 26/30
--------------------------------------------

Dark Lizardo's Feedback
  • Great futuristic vibe;
  • Break seems a little high in volume, compared to other instruments in the track, but it isn't exaggerated. Just 1 or 2 dB lower and it would be pretty nice;
  • Elements complement each other pretty well, creating an interesting mix;
  • Samples could be a little higher in volume. This would increase the dark/futuristic feel of the song;
  • Both builds and drops are pretty effective;
  • Basses are pretty well designed and suit the tone of the song;
  • Lower register is pretty tight, I liked it a lot.
Musicianship: Great dark/futuristic vibe to the song, but I'd add more ambiance variations in the intro/breakdown. And also bits of ambiance here and the in the verses/choruses. As with all other songs so far, there's not much attention to what it can be done by using the possibilities of music theory here (after-all is dnb). I think it could greatly be enhanced by playing between all possibilities of notes/progressions/chords. But, again, this is a personal opinion and it is greatly done the way it is, pretty effective!

Technical aspects: As with all finalists so far, the mixing is greatly done, very crisp and deep. Low end seems tight and fat, while high end is pretty well balanced. If it wasn't for the break to be a little high in volume and the movie samples a little down, it would receive a perfect 10 out of 10 rating. Would I buy your single? Yes and as with FRANK, it would go straight to my all-days-dnb-skullage playlist!

Mixdown/Mastering - As with all finalists so far, the mixing is greatly done, very crisp and deep. Kick might have too much low end info, but it doesn't harm the track in any way.

Mixdown: 9/10
Production Techniques: 9/10
TOTAL: 26/30

Russla's Feedback

Intro is badboy, those like stabs set it off nicely, pads are moody and slick, drums are lush. Nice little teases of the bassline and risers etc. Build-up to the drop is nicely done too, everything works! Drop is big, that hollow bassline is too much. I think the hats are a tiny loud in the mix but that’s all that sticks out to me.

Can’t really fault this one hence the small amount of feedback; straight banger and easy to listen to. Hard to right anymore as my nose is brown enough as it is. BIG TUNE.

Production Techniques: 8/10
TOTAL: 25/30

Miszt's Feedback
  • Heavy, my kinda vibe, love this
  • The beat is great, not massively original, but its one of my favorites anyway!
  • Love the bass sounds, the first mid sound on the phrase is a bit overpowering in the mix, but otherwise very tight.
  • Some more interesting changes on the phrase stop/starts, and on the background atmospherics would really bring this track up and keep the energy up.
Mixdown: 7/10
Production Techniques: 7/10
TOTAL: 22/30

FINAL TOTAL - 99/120

Last edited:
2nd PLACE - TRACK K - FRANK

Gloxxy's Feedback

I can hear digital distortion in the background before the tune starts and at any silent points in the track. Is this a problem with DAW export or the producers sound card? The intro is haunting and sets up the tension and anticipation of the track very well. The drum samples and crisp and sharp. The snare really snaps and the bass drum thumps. Excellent drums. They roll. The bass sound design on this track is extremely well made. The distortion, filtering and LFO use made the bass sound like its talking. Production techniques are quite advanced. This producer knows their VSTs like the back of their hand! The breakdown serves as a good interval to build for the second drop with the intermittent bass sounds, haunting sweeping pads and repeating vocal. The bass line switch up on the second drop is very nice. That bass absolutely thumps!
I really like this track. The sound design, atmosphere and vibe of the tune flow nicely from start to finish. Not much in the way of musicality in this track but the production techniques and mix down are superb! I would play this in my set.

Musicality: 6/10

TOTAL: 23/30

Dark Lizardo's Feedback

• Intro pleased me more than others contestants so far. Very dark, minimal and industrial feel to it;
  • Great use of samples;
  • Breaks really called my attention. I can see the attention paid to the details so it plays well with the rest of the music;
  • Mid bass is good designed, but I'd incorporate some changes in the sound. Maybe using automations to the paramenters, oscs, filters and more;
  • Random crash cymbal in the breakdown. Crashes don't sound good when played alone, in any genre. Try playing them always together with another hit at the same time (kick, snare, toms);
  • Could work a little more in the second build-up. More tension to be released when all comes in after that

Music: Interesting work with synths/ambience to create a really dark tone to the song. The "stop&go" drums works pretty well and adds to the dark tone of the music.
Production: Good synth designs, even though I'd like to listen more variation in the bass.
Mixdown/Mastering: As usual with the other contestants, the mixing is pretty good, clean and crispy. Low end is good, adds the right amount of heaviness to the song.
Would I buy your single? Yes and it would go straight to my daily playlist!

Musicality: 9/10

TOTAL: 27/30

Russla's Feedback

Loved where this was headed instantly, the intro immediately gives you a feel of where the track is going, somewhere dutty obviously. Wicked breakdown before the drop, one thing I noticed that would help add some variation here is to automate a filter on the bassline along with a reverb going from Wet to Dry or similar. The bassline is too static throughout the tune imo.

The drop is nice and has a decent impact, the vocal is decent too. The drums are good but not quite there, I think your snare could be much sicker, it really needs to be brighter and maybe with a more definitive transient.

Musicality: 7/10
Production Techniques: 6/10

TOTAL: 21/30

Miszt's Feedback
  • Love the vibe of this, lots of interesting ideas going on.
  • The mid-bass needs work, its a bit muddy and flabby, only on the technical side of things tho
  • percussion isnt as punchy as it could be, i love the beat tho.
  • Atmospherics work great.

FINAL TOTAL - 94/120

Last edited:
3rd PLACE - TRACK I - VICIOUS

Gloxxy's Feedback

Intro sounds like a freight train is on its way! The bass is pounding and the lead synth line sound great together. The lead synth chord progression is fantastic. I like the way it effortlessly leads from one 2 bar phase to the next. Filter work on the intro is very good leading to the short 8 bar build up to the drop. Using a high passed reese bass in the build up to the drop is a nice touch. The drop is hard hitting and the drums jump and skip nicely during the initial few bars of the drop while the “Vicious” vocal samples play out. The switch ups of bass line melodies and drum variation is brilliant. The breakdown builds up very nicely to the drums rolling and rolling. I love the drums here as they start building to the second drop. The bass line is heavy and starts getting high passed away until BANG! The “Vicious” vocal stab comes in on the first beat of the bar and the tune kicks back in on the snare. Very well built and perfectly executed false drop. This producer has a lot of skill in the DAW of their choice, exhibiting some advanced production techniques and good mix down skills. Another very good standard track in this DnBForum production competition.

Dark Lizardo's Feedback
  • It's noticeable that this one got a more "in your face" mixing/mastering work, because I almost got deaf in the first hit.
  • It goes straight to full power dnb (very short intro), no time to breathe and I notice some influences from Noisia here and there. It was a surprise, as I was expecting a quiet intro that would slowly turn into a great roller. And this is good, since it breaks the "rules" for dnb;
  • Bass and sub are pretty well designed, but I personally felt a little unease with the panning in the mid-bass throughout the song. I had a hard time focusing on its details because it was moving left and right too quick. Even though it's an interesting effect to be applied, maybe it needs to be applied in the very high end of the bass, so you have the core sound dead centered, but the highs moving.
  • I liked that sudden stop @ 5:14. Totally unexpected
  • I'd add more ambience to this, especially in the outro, since the basses are removed and only break/pads are left playing.
  • The break is pretty tight, I liked the way it was done.
Music: This song suffers a little from the lack of ambience, IMO. A nice ambience (when done right) can set the tone for the song. By going straight into the verse, much of this was lost. The song was stuck in just the mid-bass/sub variations in note and I think it would benefit from more melodies behind them.
Production: Sub/mid bass and breaks were skillfully done, but, as I said above, the mid bass can be a bit distracting as you need to keep track of it. This song feels more suitable for a dancefloor than the other contestants as it don't give time for people to breathe (probably would need to be stick in the middle of a mix).
Mixdown/Mastering: Obviously this has a more "in your face" approach to mixing and mastering as many of today's electronic music are, but I didn't feel it was over compressed. Everything seems balanced enough, a very good job done in this one.
Would I buy your single? Maybe. For personal listen I think it's not very much suitable, unless it was together with other songs in a live mix.

TOTAL: 25/30

Russla's Feedback

Stepped back into the 80s with this intro, absolutely loved it! That hat sample could be nicer though, maybe update your samples. Really liked the vocal use, it’s proper catchy. I really felt everything works on this tune, the break could be a little tighter and cleaner perhaps, also maybe some more FXs in places as I didn’t hear hardly any I don’t think.

Overall I liked this one, the bassline moves well, the mix down is pretty crisp and every element has its own space etc. Producer has potential for real.

Miszt's Feedback

Great energy all thru, great beat.
EQ could be a bit more refined.
Alot of resonance on the snare which makes things feel a bit muddy.
Nice fat bass sound, but perhaps not as interesting as it could be, feels a bit rough and unrefined.

Mixdown: 5/10

TOTAL: 20/30

FINAL TOTAL - 91/120

Last edited:
4th PLACE - TRACK E - SPACEPLORER

Gloxxy's Feedback

The intro sounds amazing! The pads filtering in and out of the mix and the arpeggiated synth with the dulcet tones of Rustin Cohle layered over the top sound so soothing. The drop just comes out of nowhere though, without much build up and the sub bass line is far to monotone for my taste. The bass needs more presence, groove and movement to make it more interesting for the listener. The drums sound nice and loud and crisp in the mix and the use of the fast hi hats and the sparse slightly reverbed Amen break keeps the beat interesting. I love the key change during the first breakdown. This gives a sense of change in the track but the same monotone bass line in the same key and chord progression comes in. I was expecting something different to happen here.
Overall this track has a lot of promise but just fails to deliver in terms of bass sound design and progression of the track.

TOTAL: 20/30

Dark Lizardo's Feedback
  • Nice space/futuristic feel in the intro, I loved the arpeggiated synth in and out
  • Or I did miss the first drop, or this song has the longest intro in the history of drum and bass. It's not a bad thing, though: this song broke the "rules" and to me this is a very good thing to happen;
  • When finally a drop comes in, I was a little upset because there weren't any bass after it. For the tone of the song, I was hoping for some heavy resampled basses in the vein of Noisia or Black Sun Empire. But, after a while, I again recognize this is a good thing, as it turned out to be a surprise, something I wasn't expecting;
  • I would make the snare a little more snappier to stand out more in the mix;
  • Sub seems to be in order and hitting the right spot
Music: Another pretty chilled specimen here, with a good musical progression. Again, I would like some variation to build/release tension and give more interest. 2nds and specially 7ths are your friend here! The arpeggiated synth in the intro really stands out for me.
Production: I missed some mid-bass action in this one, even though there are lots of tunes out there relying only on the sub. I think it would give that extra thing and make the track stands out more. The breaks are good, just a little tweaking in the snare and it would perfectly fit the feel of the song.
Mixdown / Mastering: Everything is in balance here, but I think the breaks could hit heavier. Not those pounding drums, just a bit heavier. Would add a great contrast to the chilled feel of the song.
Would I buy your single? Yes and it would follow the first song: to get my girl to dnb. If this had some heavy basses going on, it would definitely end up in my playlist for daily listen

TOTAL: 27/30

Russla's Feedback

Absolutely loved the intro on this, was proper lush! Those filtered hammered strings filtering in and out is a touch. The vocal gets a smidge too distorted in one place though but it does sit nicely. Intersteller is a don film so big up on the selection of words too.

I genuinely thought this was some epically long intro tune though; the drop isn’t even a drop really. With an intro like that you could definitely milk that vocal a bit and work on adding more tension before the new drop. Risers, filtered drum roll, vocal isolation etc.

The tune rolls out nicely and everything has its own space within the mix. The only thing is there isn’t enough going on to keep it interesting. A cheeky lead or a running bongo that comes in would help switch it up. Or on the second drop just run with the amen constantly or something.

Overall a lovely track to listen to, just needs the extra sparkle and hook to keep you locked in.

Musicality: 6.5/10

TOTAL: 20.5/30

Miszt's Feedback
  • Intro is awesome, great atmospherics, another one that's my kind of vibe, love this track tho, winner for me!
  • Bass inst massively interesting, but it works, the atmosphere does allot of the work, and does it well.
  • The break sample inst glued into the mix as well as it could be, it just seems to pop out of nowhere, some creative & interesting fade in/out would really gel it nicely.
  • Breakdown is nice, but it could definitely be more interesting, the vibe is there, but i want my mind to be sucked into a deep, interesting atmospheric soundscape, which doesn't really happen.
  • Love the drop.

TOTAL: 24/30

FINAL TOTAL - 87.5/120

Last edited:
5th PLACE - TRACK N - ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

Gloxxy's Feedback

Intro sounds sets a great atmosphere of anticipation with the rain samples and the lush haunting pads. The drums are extremely well put together. They just roll. The drop is lush with the double bass-esque bass. The chord progression of the bass line is good. It makes the tune roll. The use of the movie speech samples breaks the flow up nicely before the drop, after 32 bars of the drop and during the breakdown. Not sure what film it is from but the samples fit nicely with the mood and vibe created by the producer. One thing that is really bothering me though is that the drums sound slightly degraded and distort after the bass comes in when the low notes hit. The drums seem to break up a little. I think this is because all the elements of the track have been pushed too loud, reined in with compression then given make up gain to sound louder but its bugging me as I’m listening. A solid track with very good production techniques, musicality with a little work needed on the mix down.

Musicality: 6/10
Mixdown: 6/10

TOTAL: 19/30

Dark Lizardo's Feedback
  • Starts pretty well with beautifully designed pads and the rain sounds. Very chilled sensation, nice to listen;
  • When the break comes in, in a personal taste it seems pretty rigid, even though all syncopation you need for a dnb tune is present;
  • The drop could use some more powerful transition element, but again this is a personal taste;
  • The bass and sub seem spot on and very well designed, I like it very much;
  • Good use of samples, match the more chilled tone of the music;
  • In the second drop, again a good transitional element plus some tension building would work wonders;
  • I missed some variation after the second drop;
Music: Song seems well rounded, even though it doesn't change too much. Some twists could make the track stand out more. Work the notes, change the key/mode/scale, counterpointing between elements.
Production: pads, bass and sub in place and well designed; drums needs more variation and swing (or to seem more human), great use of samples, good chilled vibe;
Mixdown/Mastering: Clean mix, but the break seems a bit "raw". Low end is good, nothing to complain about. It's not as loud as today's standards, but the dynamics compensate that.
Would I buy your single? Yes, as a way of introducing my girl into dnb, but I wouldn't listen to it myself as it's not my cup of tea.

Russla's Feedback

Nice intro for sure, everything is clean and tidy. The atmosphere you make with those big reverse sounds is peng. Good work. Those crowd noises as well, sick. Really well thought out was this intro. Drums come in nicely although for me they are just a tad too flappy, the transients seem to jump out about all over the place and I think it could be quantised a tighter. One of the shuffles kinda makes the track slug along a little. (This is nitpicking like hell mind).

The drop is wicked, everything works and feels smooth. The vocal is decent, touch too much around 4.5khz maybs, the S’s pop a little. Bassline mate, soo good!! Nothing to add here, all tight as fuck.

Really enjoyed listening to this one minus the amen shuffle bit. I totally appreciate if that was all intentional but for me it kinda ruins it a bit L

Miszt's Feedback
  • Intro is excellent, one of the pads pans about a bit to much, its easy to off balance the mix with a big wide pad moving left and right, it needs something on the opposite side to balance it out.
  • I'm not sure about the beat, the snare rolls are a bit too prominent, and it feels like its missing its groove because of it.
  • Tweaking the mix, in particular the drums, i think would sort that problem and really lift the track up a lot.
  • Great atmospherics and movement thru the track, another great one.
  • The bass mid range is a bit "honky", needs some more careful EQ in the area around the snare to get it nice and smooth.
Mixdown: 6/10

FINAL TOTAL - 83/120

Last edited:
big up, all heavy tracks! still don't know who wrote wot track...is that intentional for now or just missing from the info?

(btw my feedbacks now in the pm)

Alright congrats to all the ones in the top five :D If that winning tune isn't from Wingz, I'm quitting this forum. That tune has him written all over it.
Really digging the tune as well, so def deserved!

My tune was N, the Artificial Intelligence one. Thanks for all the feedback! Nothing I don't agree with

Congrats to track D! I'm glad they won as that was my favourite.
Track I was mine, thanks for the feedback it really made me giggle.

Also I see that track 4&5 have the same Gloxxy's feedback...

Back
Top Bottom