DnB Variety?

GravitationalWave

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but not new to DnB. I've been listening and following the genre since 1997 or so.

I was a dj for a few years and my preference was more towards liquid or really experimental stuff. Back in my days it was mostly vinyl releases and mp3 was starting to kick in which made room for a lot of new interesting and varied releases.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but lately I've tried buying music from Junodownload, Beatport etc and found myself bored with the selection of releases they hold. Seems to me that most releases are from the same labels, same people, same style and nothing really that interesting with a few exceptions.

For me Drum and bass was always the most forward thinking innovative genre of all electronic dance music and somehow I feel like its been narrowed down to a few big labels and thats all you get. If you look for liquid drum and bass it seems its still the same guys doing it, record shops can't even be bothered to sub genre styles so you can sort of find your way around and be surprised by artists or labels you might not have thought of.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places for that variety I'm after and if someone can enlighten me and show me the way to variety, I highly appreciate it.

I think what you find from most download sites is their dnb equivalent of the top 40.
Find the tracks you want and then see where you can buy them. DJ mixes, Discogs, Livestreams, YouTube, wherever wherever.
Personally I listen to a lot of mixes then painstakingly try to get IDs on them. Then wait 12 months for them never to be released.

I think what you find from most download sites is their dnb equivalent of the top 40.
Find the tracks you want and then see where you can buy them. DJ mixes, Discogs, Livestreams, YouTube, wherever wherever.
Personally I listen to a lot of mixes then painstakingly try to get IDs on them. Then wait 12 months for them never to be released.
Seems like its gotten a lot harder to be a drum and bass dj than what it used to be 😑 I guess my point was that it was more eminent at some point to find loads of good drum and bass anywhere whereas now you kind of have to go treasure hunting in order to find alternatives.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but not new to DnB. I've been listening and following the genre since 1997 or so.

I was a dj for a few years and my preference was more towards liquid or really experimental stuff. Back in my days it was mostly vinyl releases and mp3 was starting to kick in which made room for a lot of new interesting and varied releases.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but lately I've tried buying music from Junodownload, Beatport etc and found myself bored with the selection of releases they hold. Seems to me that most releases are from the same labels, same people, same style and nothing really that interesting with a few exceptions.

For me Drum and bass was always the most forward thinking innovative genre of all electronic dance music and somehow I feel like its been narrowed down to a few big labels and thats all you get. If you look for liquid drum and bass it seems its still the same guys doing it, record shops can't even be bothered to sub genre styles so you can sort of find your way around and be surprised by artists or labels you might not have thought of.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places for that variety I'm after and if someone can enlighten me and show me the way to variety, I highly appreciate it.
In this day and age with everything being so easily available on the internet, you have to dig. Sites like bandcamp were mentioned. You could also check out shows from Doc Scott or Kid Drama and start from there to get a better picture of the spectrum of nowadays Drum and Bass. If this still does nothing for you, maybe you have grown out of it.

In this day and age with everything being so easily available on the internet, you have to dig. Sites like bandcamp were mentioned. You could also check out shows from Doc Scott or Kid Drama and start from there to get a better picture of the spectrum of nowadays Drum and Bass. If this still does nothing for you, maybe you have grown out of it.
Thanks, will look into it!

You've really got to know what you're looking for these days, so so so much average underwhelming dnb about.

If you're into that Omni Music sound try labels like Western Lore, Rupture, Inperspective & Myor Massive

You've really got to know what you're looking for these days, so so so much average underwhelming dnb about.

If you're into that Omni Music sound try labels like Western Lore, Rupture, Inperspective & Myor Massive
Hey Balistics, you were bang on with your suggestions, all really good stuff! Thanks for that.

Last edited:
how can "most releases" on junodownload be from the "same people" and in the "same style"? they've got the back cats of pretty much every dnb label to go digital, plus their new releases cover the board of whatever's coming out... i.e. tons of current producers making all diff styles. this is a bizarre comment.

check out Earl Grey - French Exit ep, sounds like it might be up your alley.

how can "most releases" on junodownload be from the "same people" and in the "same style"? they've got the back cats of pretty much every dnb label to go digital, plus their new releases cover the board of whatever's coming out... i.e. tons of current producers making all diff styles. this is a bizarre comment.

check out Earl Grey - French Exit ep, sounds like it might be up your alley.
Sorry maybe my comment was a bit of an exaggeration and didn't mean it to come across that way. You're right, there's loads of good stuff out there and thank you for your Ear Grey suggestion, it's very interesting indeed! I knew not only this forum wouldn't let me down but DNB is and will.always be my favorite genre in electronic music. 👊🏼👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom