Dnb song structure

Colin Nature

Can some one break down dnb song structure mathematically please.
Like the kick on the one then again on the?
The snare every quarter?
And so on. Please. And thank you

kick on the first beat (1.1) (and then sometimes again 1/8th beat before the 2nd snare (between 1.3 and 1.4), sometimes 1/8th before next bar usually at the end of a phrase, sometimes you get a double kick at the start of a bar - other variations too of course)

snare generally @ 1.2 and 1.4, it varies though, I use ~4 different snare patterns, the snare @ 1.4 is probably the most consistent hit - snare rolls vary, but they tend to be around 1.3 give or take 1/8th-1/16th

general structure is 8-16bar phrases, in 65bar sections

most percussion is 1/4-1/8th, fast hats and toms/etc @ 1/16th, very rarely @ 1/32

all of the above is based on 4/4 time, there are other time signatures that pop up including 3/2, half time and more

Thank you very much . I was watching some tutorials and they were placing kicks at uneven numbers it just wasn't making since how could a dj mix with that. The mix would sound off . Thanks again!!

Thank you very much . I was watching some tutorials and they were placing kicks at uneven numbers it just wasn't making since how could a dj mix with that. The mix would sound off . Thanks again!!

there are lots of ways to do it, what outlined was the basics - but offbeat kicks and snares can work very well, and sound amazing "in the mix", if the dj is good enough to handle them

(bare in mind that offbeat percussion hits don't affect the time signature, usually 4 beats per bar, aka 4/4, you don't count the percussion hits, you count the beats in the bar)

Back
Top Bottom