dnb noob help

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by cyier, Sep 9, 2007.

1. cyier

cyier New Member

Ladies and Gents,

I will be honest with you...i don't know shiz about turntables or dnb. I am actually getting into it a little more. But I would like to start off learning are there any sites or reading material you would recommend?

Also I need the equipment to do so, what would you recommend for a table setup? I am wanting to get a good set of tables and mixer for a gift for my gf. Any recommendations and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

:cowbell: Gimme More

2. mesh

mesh Active Member

Welcome aboard mate. I may move this thread into the 'DJ Turntablism' forum in a sec.

As a start up I would recommend Technics 1200 or 1210s ( you can also get good Vestax decks, but Technics are nightclub standard, its up to you).

A simple quality 2 channel mixer with 3 levels of EQ is pretty much all you need, and there are a few good threads about what is good to get for beginners. There's all sorts of mad features they put on mixers nowadays, but you ned to learn the ropes first.

I would recommend you learn to mix on record decks, cause once you have that you can mix on CD decks without thinking.

oh yeah, the learning bit. Buy some records and start mixing, maybe get a friend to help show you how to baby-scratch records and drop them at the right time. Its a lot easier than following written instructions. Listen to loads of mixes carefully and see if you can pick the mixes, this will teach you how to structure bars when you mix.

get loaded and have fun. keep your neighbours awake and make them listen to your trainwrecking!!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  3. sparkyc10

sparkyc10 Kentish Junglist

Good advice from Mesh. He's right about practice and experimenting being far more valuable than reading too, but if you do want some good information 'How to DJ Properly' by Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton is the best book to get. There are loads of books on learning to DJ but in my experience this is the only one worth reading. Hope this helps :2thumbs: