DNB Growing or Dying?

For those of you that think Jungle if finally going to break the commercial scene i wouldn't hold your breath, there have been so many false dawns over the years.

Never heard so much shit in my life.
Who are these people thinking jungle is even trying to break into a commercial scene. Jungle evolved nearly 15 years ago (Think paul ibiza had a big hand in this) and set its stamp in music history, although you get countless stations STILL dedicated and playing out jungle.
It doent need to break into anything man.

It stopped being underground years ago. As soon as it hit mainstream clubs, Roni size won that mercury music prize, remixing pop tunes with dnb mixes. Shy fx and t-power. "shake your body" Pop music.
Everyone has heard of pendulum. They are doing what the prodigy did for dance music. Made it commercial.
Underground means unsponsored, illeagal or unadvertised. Basement type venues. Very little is underground anymore. :rambo:
:readthis:

Word.

Major labels and major radio (Radio One, Kiss, etc) been into DnB for years. I dunno who keeps perpetuating (or believes) the myth that DnB is 'underground'...

I think when some ppl say 'DnB is underground' and what they actually mean is 'my mates don't know about DnB, but I do, so it must be underground, and I am therefore the coolest cat in the playground'.

i rekon SOME bits of drum and bass are dying :( mainly the jungle side IMO :(
wich is a shame i love tunes like original nuttah mo fire etc but cant see anymore tunes like this being made again :(
but on the other hand its growing aswell new tunes coming out wich are phat etc

wich is a shame i love tunes like original nuttah mo fire etc but cant see anymore tunes like this being made again :(

yeah it would be good if some producers would make a few jungle tunes but use modern kits to add a 2008 vibe to it

sounds like a nice idea, but id bet it would get over-exaggerated and turn into another sub genre tbh.

sounds like a nice idea, but id bet it would get over-exaggerated and turn into another sub genre tbh.

thats true i just wish all the good OLD producers would carry on making the same sort of tunes and leave hazard andy c etc 2 carry on producing the "newer" dnb !!
i still love drum and bass but sets just seem 2 be like hit and miss 4 me now 1s amazing 1 just is bollox !!
i prefered drum and bass from like 2000-2005 ish and obviously some dnb from b4 that wich i still love :D still like the dnb now just isn't quite the same now 4 sum reason :shrug:

DnB is HUGE right now man :miss_rep::rambo:

sooo much good msuic out there atm

I don't see how people can say it is dying, it's true that it's completely changed since I first started listening to it but it's grown in a good way. It's still the same diverse thing that I loved from the first day!
I must say it does annoy me when people just knda jump on the bandwagon, but hey, that happens with everything.

I think it's growing BUT new fan's don't recognise older acts. Pendulum (love them or hate them) have managed to bring a ton of interest to the genre but at the same time have seemingly pissed a lot of old school fans off for various reasons...

I was surprised to see no more than 50 people last night at Dillinja & Lemon D! yet Pendulum got sold out within minutes.

I've only been listening to DnB since 2005, but I've built up an appreciation for classics like Goldie's Timeless etc. etc.

I dunno maybe I'm just rambling due to the Valve Soundsystem last night, but yeah, this shits growing.

I would say that right now there are a tonne of producers making that jungle influenced, reggae / ragga influenced sound.... its bigger now than it has been for a while for sure...... People like Benny, Marcus Visionary, Diamond Geeza, Serial Killaz, and all those guys creating jungle influenced tunes...

If you want to find jungle tunes then check out some of these labels:

Rock and Groove
Dirty Dubs
Dub Dimensions
Chopstick
Serial Killaz
Knowledge And Wisdom
Pure Vibez
Dub Rock
RIQ
Tough Express
Rude Bwoy Plastic

There is a lot of this stuff round right now, a lot more than there was a few years back.

There are a few big things in the pipeline as well that i know of wher current producers are working with big ragga and dancehall names..

Randall, Outrage and Digital and a couple of other people have just started up a label called J-Tek, which they've made to re-live the sounds of jungle-techno. So basically all their releases are jungle-techno stuff... Apparently it's pretty good, there's a podcast on DNBA with loads of their stuff in it mixed by Randall...

Back
Top Bottom