DnB Forum presents - The Timeline Mixtape (1993-2012)

Shotty

HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN
VIP Junglist
I am fucking all over this! Massive respect to everyone involved!

Track list looks awesome

Danny_Intro

VIP Junglist
just finished the mix and what a ride !! reminded me of so many tunes i still need to buy

93-96 was bliss, just pure gold
was great to hear Scorpio - Trouble at 1997
1999 rubbed me up the right way
everything from 2000 onwards was crazy, defo set it up with that Messiah >> Titan mix
loved 2006 and the mixes surrounding Turn Down the Lights
2007 and Papa J introduced me to Tribe of Issachar - Wardance (Serial Killaz Remix) which iv wanted to know for ages
The blends in 2008 specially the bit into Cannonball
and the last mix ended the whole thing nicely... I kinda feel lost now, it was mad ! shouts to all the DJs !

D

Deleted member 23164

wow, what a tracklist.

will download tomorrow when i have an hour to spare on the internetz (y)

big up to all involved. can't wait to listen.

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
At work at the moment. So excited to listen I could cry.

Massive fucking respect Teddy. You done good bro. You actually win the internet IMO.

Feel like Christmas, my birthday and Outlook fest have all arrived on the same weekend...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah... Sticky?

Jwood27

VICTIM
VIP Junglist
listened in the library to the whole thing, so so sick. so many good mixes and massive tunes!

huge props to everyone, so worthwhile

The Watcha

VIP Junglist
Book a week off work yeah watcha?

Trying to review at work. LONG. So far.....

What an opening! The way Atlantis brings its melody is nice & peachy. I don’t think I have ever heard that tune right from the start before. Tempo is not too slow for tunes of that era, which is very pleasing to hear. Valley Of The Shadows eases in very well, keeping the breakbeaty essence going, with some additional vocal in that rmx. Loved the way The Dark Stranger chopped into the mix with VOTS rmx, slapping itself on the beat & when The Helicopter Tune comes in, doesn’t that do some damage! Had heard that before, but hadn't heard it in SO long, it took me by surprise to what it was. Nice one for including it Sirus! Twinkling melody of Music whispering into THT, building gradually & effectively for it to drop on its own. Into the 5th tune by 12 mins is a great ratio of tunes to minutes.

Wasn't aware of Being With You... sat well alongside Music, bringing the breakbeat flex back into the ride with some abrupt drums. Big smile on my face when that breaks to the bass hook :) setting up Terrorist to do its thing with BWY's melody hanging in for good measure. Liked the cricket-scratching-its-legs noises when Screwface started to ease in & through the tune, with throw back pads for that era of the mix. Menacing notes of Dred Bass rmx start to bless the mix, slowly flowing into Screwface, before its nasty bass eats into the blend. 19.5 keeps yet more bouncing break beats going, with its highs & mids filling in some of the spaces in Dred Bass rmx. 10 tunes in & at the 30 min mark.

Pretty hectic build up to the drop on Bomber & enjoying the elastic basslines in that. Love a few tunes with a similar style bassline to that & equally enjoying Remember The Roller hiding underneath in the bassline shadows before the first rewind. I wonder how many of those there will be in 5 hours? Additional vocals easing in pave the way for Letís Get it On to make its way to the front. Nicely woven. The unmistakeable vocals of DBO General anoint the jaunt, letting ears know of Some Justice '95's arrival before a lickle slow fast breakdown and some trumpet switching while Hearing is Believing Remix makes its entrance. Really enjoyed the switching section between those two.

Wah! And there's Shadow Boxing, with the kung fu vocal, just before the perilous and simple bassline does its work. Don't think I had heard the Dirty Chopper before, but sitting well in the mix, with the accelerating blades triggering the memory banks of the Shy Fx rmx and something else familiar. Dark Soldier 2's low end working ludicrously well off the tail end of Dirty Chopper. Profound vocals of Fats push through the crowd, merging Peace Love & Unity in, complimenting Dark Soldier 2 very well. Had no idea that Zinc's rmx of Junglist was from '96, but with no further adieu, some 60's or 70's funk notes sound its entrance, before some classic Zinc bass arrangements do more damage. The second drop takes it on a completely different direction, again, I don't think I'd ever heard the second half of that.

Explosive effects build before some explosive elastic bass is in for Mode 1. Have a real weakness for that style 'oldschool' tune (simple dj friendly beat with bouncy bass) over the breakbeaty stuff. Jeez when Trouble comes in! Hadn't finished writing the last sentence, before both basses are winding in & out of each other. Enjoyed hearing the long mix of the last two tunes in as they paid sentiments to each other. Trouble a personal fav that isn't in the collection. Had to have Brown Paper Bag in there & works wonders with Trouble, as you would expect with 2 Roni Size tunes. Waiting for The One to pound through the jazzed up BPB, and it does just that at the double drop. Couldn't believe that Turbulence was from '97 when seeing that so far towards the top of this list. It starts to whir in with its self evident, letting us hear plenty of the intro before it takes off like only Turbulence knows how.

Similar beats of Autumn march into Turbulence, stamping its seal of approval on the tune before. Another tune that I'd not heard the original of, but Die's beats on his early tunes are something else :) right before the hook that I know Autumn rmx for, does its thing before the initial start. Had to have a little listen to what Strontium Jazz rmx was, as I thought it was in. Rolled well off the back of Autumn. Before long the bounce of Beachball blesses Strontium Jazz rmx tremendously well for a brief while. Some metallic strings plink their riffs for the whispered vocal of the overlooked Sound In Motion take the mix to new pastures. Getting the odd flavour of Trace - Sonar while the intro of Reality Of 98 rmx is coming in. More unheard vibes licking my ears.

Relentless rubber hooks of Gas Mask twist Reality Of 98 rmx into something more complex, in advance of the aforementioned tune rolling some more, into Strangled Duck rmx. A contrast of cultures in the blend with the Duck rmx's deeper bass & the bounced melody of Shimon's rmx keeping the last year in. LED smashes some panes in Duck rmx's small break, before doing its thing in the direction of Seizure and some driving basslines of a Bad Company bit, before a more familiar BC tears into that Duck and rips it to shreds. Not heard The Decent rmx either, and it was almost meant to sit alongside 4 Days. The Decent rmx reached a natural point in itself before Bacteria came in, taking that to another level, then China Cup does the rounds, leading the way for No Reality's unmistakeable big notes to beat their way in with a crunching stepped beat. Got to say at this point, my brain is getting warm & might start to hurt if I carry on trying to think of different adjectives :-/ The Fear passed my by in the blink of an eye, as it was mixed so well in there. Already at the tune with the 'out there, control' vocal, which I believe is Known Unknown....

and yeh it was, before the outstanding drawn out wailed vocal of Messiah builds, Titan is easing in there after 32 bars from the drop. Liked the little switch then back in the mix. (Christ, I am starting to write things I am not even thinking of writing, only 8 years in & head starting to hurt). Back into Messiah, not heard this Bleed before, but the hooks are wicked & work very well with Konflicts tune. Again, enjoyed the switches in there at the start / end of a 32 bar section. Bleed being a bit of a beast on its own, with a small Nasty Ways vocal tease building to the drop on 1 of my favourite Dillinja tunes. 'Trails' vocals vibes in for Star Trails' electro flare to spin its line ahead of Shrapnel rmx keeping the hectic electric vibe flowing, triggering some memory synapses right before Dubplate rmx's intro hits hard through the last couple. Both hooks in Shrapnel rmx and Dubplate rmx really complimenting each other through the build up, in the tune and to the first breakdown.

Going to have to tackle the other 12 years at a later date & give my brain a rest as it is a bit frazzled

Last edited:

jsmith89

Hmph..... silly...
VIP Junglist
everything around messiah is positively monstrous. quality selection from yourself too james

in fact the whole thing is pure perfection

bn14

VIP Junglist
tackled the first hour this morning, absolute dirt.

Props aj + the whole team, forum history made for sure.

Fallen.GeMiNi

3rd rate banger merchant
VIP Junglist
Maybe someday I'll try to review this whole thing, but for now I just wanna say this is everything I expected it to be and maybe even a bit more. Props to everyone participating on this, hats off to each and every one of you guys because what we did is by all means a legendary effort and the outcome is pretty much flawless. Each year has been represented really well, selection and DJing-wise. Some of them blends are absolutely monstrous while none of them sounded weak or out of place throughout the whole mix...nearly 5 hours of solid flow, amazing. And on top of that I've got introduced to a bunch of tunes I now need to get.

10/10, would bang!

Sicx

VIP Junglist
Vibing to Infinite - Beachball at the minute!
Thing has been flawless so far, really shows the progression between years which is great. Just hope we can spam the crap out of it and get it the recognition it deserves

rysk

Part-time waster
VIP Junglist
gonna have to split this into sections and put it all in an album on my mp3 player....such a cunt to skip through an hour long mix, let alone this.

massive props to all involved, tracklist looks solid start to finish.

Top Bottom