dnb drum, kick ,snare, etc.... samples

Discussion in 'Production' started by kieran t, Apr 18, 2013.

1. kieran t

kieran t Member

ive been using vengeance for my kicks and snare then what ever else i want but to be honest iam not sure if these are setting me back. i used to just pick a kick out of vengance pack 1,2 or 3 and i was on my way now ive started to layer my kicks,to try and get more of a sound iwould like, but the kicks always sound like shit even though ive watched endless videos and read loads, it never works out, am i wasting my time with these samples i feel its one step forward 10 steps back,

ive never really used or tried other samples really ive just made do with what i have and spent my money on equipment,
    ive been looking at other sample packs but they can be quite expencive to and i dont want to buy a pack and then they be shit, the ones i looked at seem overpriced and then they are really trying to sell them by well written write ups about the pack.
    i basicaly want a big collectiomn of drums/ percussion i can layer together without worrying about them being processed
    sugestions on the packs please dont just post any packs becuase i will probably go ahead and buy them

thanks

2. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

I'm not very fond of vengance's snare really but the vengance house vol 2 has alot of great kicks in the pack, I always end up picking kicks from there.

Other than that horace111 posted about some free packs from some big names recently (post is here: http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/...llain-Octane-amp-DLR-etc?highlight=samplepack). The erb n dub one have some really nice snares and kicks, worth checking out imo!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    ApeCat likes this.
  3. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

the best thing to do in this situation is learn how to synthesize your own drums

bounce them off and make your own custom sample packs!

4. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Vengeance samples tend to go a bit heavy on the processing leaving no headroom whatsoever. While this isn't always a bad thing necessarily (especially when looking for sharp samples to cut through a mix) it can make the process of layering sounds a bit more cumbersome. To add, a good portion of the Vengeance kicks have more of a House/Trance music feel in that they're quite boomy and tend to have a lengthy sustain/release–good for the 120–140 BPM range, not so much for the 170+ range.

You can always throw some of these kicks into a sampler and play them at a higher key. The "pitching up" of the kicks will take out some of the "boom" and give you a more "break" flavor.

If you're looking at sample packs, go to Loopmasters and download some of the Free Samples from the packs you're interested in so you can get a feel. To add, do a search of the forum–there are many threads with sample pack recommendations.

Cheers.

5. bhksamples

bhksamples Member

Kieran, if you suffering from good drums, grab this pack, it has all the drum hits you will ever need, all uncompressed so you can layer with ease to create 1000 new ones !

These are all the drums i'm using to produce all the bhk breaks for upcoming packs. And in case you really not satisfied you get a refund ! But trust me you will love them,

nobody who bought our packs has ever asked for a refund.

info: http://bhksamples.com/product/premium-drumz/

6. Geiko

Geiko New Member

I find the Thomas Penton essentials pack great for kicks and snares and i also use Doru Malaia 8000 layering is the trick to big drums and if they all came out of packs ready to go without processing that would be very boring and you wouldnt get your own sound in my opinion.
    All sample packs are the same its how you use the samples and process them that makes them amazing,which you probably already no,there is no magic quick solution.

7. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Stop using vengeance sample packs man. Everyone uses them

8. Defect

Defect Member

Theres so much free stuff out there i wouldnt stress. Check out hip hop sample packs for one-shots theres so much out there iv found alot of very usable stuff.

You have to be careful layering kicks. I only layer my kicks occasionally if i stumble on a couple of sounds that sing together. Most of the time il just lift something nice straight out of a break and give it abit of a tweak.

9. BAXP

BAXP Member

Layering is always better, it can lead to unique sounding kicks and snares which eqing and compressing together will make it easy to sculpture any sound - whether you want it boomy or snappy.

I suggest you find a couple of really low end kicks and snares which sound similar, then find a couple of high end jazzy kicks or generally any high end kicks. Just keep experimenting with it and layering to get the

10. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

/\ Layering is the shit, especially if you use sounds that only vaguely sound like drums to being with. I made a snare a couple days back by layering a sample of a metal spring that I mangled to hell and back with the sound of somebody tapping on the body of a guitar ala flamenco, with a low level filtered and EQ'd white noise, and a very subtle clap to round it out. Very nice.

11. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

try recording your own samples if you have a decent mic, not necessarily real drums, but just hitting things that sound like kicks, snares, hats etc.

aswell as that, there's a plethora of music out there with clean drum solos/breaks that you can nab...i don't think Lars Ulrich would notice if you sampled a snare out of a metallica tune.

12. BAXP

BAXP Member

yaaah, this is the sort of experimentation you should try!

13. Raptor's Den

Raptor's Den Member

One thing buddy is to never give up!!! The key is to sitting there and really pulling out the right sounds you want (IE:High end, mid end, low end) And maximizing the crap out of them, not just yank all the levels to max... but eq them how you would, make sure your highs arent hurting ears and are just perfect at ear level mid is nice and punchy low hits you in the chest, brain, entire body lol. It takes hours for me, but believe me i used vengeance to layer my kicks and they sound just as phenomenal as an analog kick, or a recorded kick drum or even synthesized. Just listen to your favorite tunes, or just tunes in general and listen to their kicks and its structure, and how hard they hit and their snap, the punch they have to keep you going just as hard as the last song I wont tell you exactly how to do it becaues you really have to adjust the settings according to the sounds each themselves.. for example use a limiter, compressor, use that imagination of what kick you want and put it on your canvas, even if your end product doesnt sound like what you wanted, dont give up, you didnt put enough work into it. I sit there for hours and constantly am adjusting my kicks and snares mostly a combo from vengeance and meanbeat, to the very last detail. It is really a combo of patience, finding the right sounds, layering them right, tight, and make that shizz mean :) <3

14. Boooke

Boooke Member

The meanbeat percussion/snare/kick samples are my favourite ones (Besides, who made them?). They are the samples I find to be easiest to mold and the best sounding so far. The snares are pretty much all short, acoustic rim shots, but they're useful for decaying snares, too. Or if you feel creative, make them yourself with synthesizers :drunk: It can be fun, but a pain in the arse, too, lol. My favourite "claps" are made just by noise and some modulation like filters. Maybe your samples aren't that bad, but you just need to shape them a little more. I've never tried the vengeance ones myself.

I don't know what kick you're trying for, or what your problem with them is. I mostly have problems placing the low end correctly in my kicks. Sloppy kicks can mostly be heavily compressed, and optionally cut very tightly - at least that is what I do - to get a punchy or tight one. Too loud/dynamic kicks... well, I'd turn them down, compress or maybe add some kind of distortion (soft).

15. Shock/Tactics

Shock/Tactics Get the fuck up

If I use vengeance samples I would only use them for the punchiness, whereas the character of the drum hit I would create from a prerecorded break.

16. Raptor's Den

Raptor's Den Member

The key here's balance folks ;) you gotta rbing out the maximum level the sound can reach without destroying the sound, and to the sound you want! so listen to it and adjust as needed! :p

17. Paul Ashmore

Paul Ashmore Audio Animals Mastering

So many free packs on the Internet these days there's no need to limited yourself to one particular pack or sound. What a lot of engineers and producers do do though is make up a signature kit of their own and become known for that sound.

Some free packs up in our sample shop that may help www.audioanimals.co.uk

18. dj.andy.warhol

dj.andy.warhol New Member

Hey, you can check up some free samples here
    Some of them include kicks, drums, snares.
    Whats wrong with venegeance samples ? I've been checking them some time ago and they seem pretty decent ?

19. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

I'm definitely not a pro, but can't you also sample snares from tracks or sample pack loops you like, if you find a one which isn't played at the same time as any other instrument?

20. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Yup. Though it taking one from a track you would want to make sure it's during heavily isolated part of the song where there is no other sound occurring with the snare. Otherwise you'll spend hours trying to figure out how to EQ the snare as to isolate it and will end up with a rather flattened, muddy nub of a snare. The same goes for sample packs as well...unless they include REX files in which case you can simply take the "slice" containing the snare from the loop itself...I'm a big fan of this. :)