DNB DJs what are you playing (vinyl/Cd/mp3) and why?

dj-booth

Hi folks

I am doing a bit of research for a college project looking into what factors influence a DJs choice of format.

Factors such as sound quality/price/availability/ and technological advancements in playback medium(CD turntables/Laptop + software combos) ?.

Do most other DnB DJs favour the same format ?
Do you use more than one format in a set?

Any info on the subject would be much appreciated

Cheers x

Vinyl, But i will be purchasing some cd decks just for those hard to find classics that you cant buy anymore and also I enjoy the odd electro and breaks mix but i dont wana go out and spend £100's of pounds to get a good collection when i could just spend £50 on downloading them. I would say most dnb djs use vinyl as its more about mixing the music. Where as electro, psytrance, and breaks is more about twisting the music adding loops and effects which is why alot of people who mix these sort of genres use cd decks. Thats just my opinion anyway

All vinyl all the time. I will wait or do without a track that is available in digital format but may not be available on vinyl. I like the sound quality and manipulatability of vinyl.

safe blad, too tired right now so i'll just quote my point from the previous thread...

Well me being a vinyl junkie my answer's pretty obvious, when I started dj:ing I worked my whole summer vacation on a construction yard and bought 2x twelve hundreds and a stanton mixer. Allthou I love drum'n'bass I dig mix hiphop and do turntablism also so for me it straight vinyl binniz from the start. Now many needles and mixers later I'm still rinsin' with the twelves but I'm getting one cd deck aswell so. It's when you wanna add some real ug dnb flavour to your mixtapes with tunes that only get released digitally.

Vinyl, But i will be purchasing some cd decks just for those hard to find classics that you cant buy anymore and also I enjoy the odd electro and breaks mix but i dont wana go out and spend £100's of pounds to get a good collection when i could just spend £50 on downloading them. I would say most dnb djs use vinyl as its more about mixing the music. Where as electro, psytrance, and breaks is more about twisting the music adding loops and effects which is why alot of people who mix these sort of genres use cd decks. Thats just my opinion anyway

Good point m8 my background is in underground house which is also mainly about mixing the tunes rather than playing with fx/loops and vinyl still holds sway there too.

vinyl, because i dont have the money to change, because i prefer it, because i dont understand how u can mix something u cant physically touch (how can u mix air?!) because my friends would disown me if i used cd's, because its like that and thats the way it is...

I'm a sellout and spin cd's lol tunes sound alot better imo especially if tunes are 320Kbps, although gota admit i do miss dropping tunes with vinyl:(

vinyls as well. i can see why people would want to use CD's and good luck to them...but personally when i see a dj using vinyl it just seems a lot more authentic

Vinyl. nothing better that a massive slab of plastic with a sick tune on it! for me its just the standard, and i buy all of mine from a small shop, so there's the element of supporting the scene. I think if i did ever change, which i won't, it would be to seratto.

two vinyl's, 1 gemini hybrid cdJ (cheaper version of numark x2) admittidly, i havnt bought as much vinyl since i've had my cdJ, but i have sooooo many tunes that i just cant find on vinyl...and for that reason...i thank cd's. (that will be the only time i will say that)

Vinyl, as someone said before, i like the manipulatability of vinyl, and because i think it sounds better and is more fun to mix with, plus it's the traditional way :D.

I play both, ill buy an mp3 track first play it out a few times n if i like it then ill by the vinyl. Mainly cd's though due to the fact that most of the time out here in the states when u go 2 play somewhere the tables don't work or the needles r broke so its just safer to b able 2 play on both with no worries.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom