DnB Creating the Shuffle Sound

Astral

Sup, I'm pretty new to the site and most of the things on here have been really helpful, but there's still something I'm having trouble with. No matter what I do I can't get the classic shuffle sound that's in almost every DnB track. I understand that the shuffle is created by using a pattern like Hi Hat, Ghost Snare, Hi Hat, Ghost Snare. Still I can never get the sound. I've tried just about every Hi Hat in my library(Which would be well over 200!)and I still can't reproduce it. I know some people say to layer a break over your own, but I like to create the sounds and patters myself. Is there something I'm doing wrong? If it helps I use FL 10.

Throw us some examples ! :P

You can get samplepacks with these sounds in, which wouldn't be any different than using hat samples? I know there's some in the Nu:Tone one.

(At least, I'm assuming that's what you're after ;) )

try a shaker/tambourine type sound (eg: from the 'think' break.)
If you layer a break you don't have to take the whole thing as it is, just chop out the bits you want and arrange them ;) not much difference creatively between doing that and using hits from sample packs really. Just thinking of a sound, searching for it and opening a file ya know!

Like in the Amen break there's a shuffle in between the first and second snare.
Okay I'll try that and see what happens.

Generally I find that the main part in making shuffles is placing a quieter sound in front of a similar louder sound. Also, if you are uploading samples to be sequenced via midi you can take the sound and play with the velocity of the note to get the same effect. Also, you're daw ought to have a shuffle or swing parameter which can also help

should be able to get the shuffle with no hats at all and just snares.

ghost notes have a few things going on differently than the dominant snare besides volume: transient is less pronounced, transient and tail contains less noise, and the whole snare has a duller frequency spectrum. adjusting the attack and eqing off highs kind of works but really it is a whole spectrum difference so best to just find the right sample (which is why people suggest layering breaks). try finding sample packs that have natural drums hit at different velocities.

but of course im a sucker for the old ed rush & optical sound where the ghost notes really stick out unaturally.

I faced the same problem and found even when i did find the right samples and placed them in the right pattern it still needed to be humanised unless you're going for a computerised/robotic sound. http://simonv.com/tutorials/drum_patterns.php for some classic patterns but i found it much more practical to find a loop you liked the sound of and chop it as those above me have said. you may also want to consider investing in a midi controller with velocity sensitive pads as it'd be much more fun and takes a lot of the guess work out of humanising things. down the track is also the option of a midi drum kit if you're the co-ordinated type. check http://www.tweakheadz.com/midi_drum_tips.htm for a balls deep explanation. main thing is to keep having fun

You can make this shuffles from almost any sound. Why do it like everyone else and use snares and highhats? I've created some awesome shuffles with bongo and clap sounds.. :D

making beats and breaks shuffle is one of the joys. I just go through breaks from more obscure song, just chop the shuffle out, change the pitch, play with the adsr, filter maybe.
once layered with hats and trial and error they'll be shuffling

I like to take my main snare and chop it into pieces. Then I high pass them and turn down the voulume. I place them in the four bar accordingly.
That is how I make my shuffle. Also in reason there is a shuffle pattern machine I use some times. However, with that being said most the
time I just use a break with the kicks and snares cut out, or combind the two.

Back
Top Bottom