DnB Blog Dialogue - Should Different BPM Genres Be Played At A D&B Event?

but if you're booked for a dnb event then I think you shouldn't wander off tht too long because people go there to see dnb.

you're exactly right. If I'm booked at peak time at renegade hardware it goes without saying i'm not going to play 45 minutes of speed garage. and to be honest i never play more than 15 minutes back to back of anything be it half step / rollers / juke / 140. id like to think that i'm getting a lot more versatile in my Dj'ing where i'm able to play at a variety of nights not just drum and bass nights, which is where most people want to be.

just something to spark a bit of discussion - if you look at classical pieces of music there is light / shade / heavy / soft and quite often the lighter parts lend themselves to make the louder parts more dramatic by comparison. would it not be the case then if playing a little something slower would make the transition into drum and bass seem faster and more urgent and get a greater crowd reaction? Because from my experience this is what i'm seeing when i play out.

would it not be the case then if playing a little something slower would make the transition into drum and bass seem faster and more urgent and get a greater crowd reaction? Because from my experience this is what i'm seeing when i play out.

this is a pretty interesting point. it is like having a crescendo in a piece of written music, and indeed breakdowns in most tunes that you get now. it does work in sets too, change it up slightly and build back up for even more impact..

personally i like bits of other genres, even if it was at a strictly dnb night. horses for courses though as ever with any music based discussion, some people will dig it and others will abhor it. just the way of the world.

yeah the above thing works as long as the momentum and vibe don't get lost along the way, I never said that you'd play half an hour of different stuff, I'm just saying that Ive seen djs who have done that and emptied half a dancefloor

also it should be noted that classical pieces are intended to be listened to, not to dance to! If I'm listening to a mix it is cool if it takes you on a journey through sound ad doesn't stay at the same place forever, I like variety.
Just saying that 15-20 minutes of downtempo stuff can easily kill the energy and vibe of a dnb set if not executed properly.

@cele yeah were definitely in agreement.

another thing to take into account is at certain points in a night when the crowd is at their most 'refreshed' playing too many rollers kills the vibes as people stop listening to whats being played and just move like metronomic robots to the two step. playing something completely different often shakes them out if it.

@cele yeah were definitely in agreement.

another thing to take into account is at certain points in a night when the crowd is at their most 'refreshed' playing too many rollers kills the vibes as people stop listening to whats being played and just move like metronomic robots to the two step. playing something completely different often shakes them out if it.
Seen this happen on an early BSE set, it's still fun, but a lot of people just zone out and just step on. I can still feel a pure-roller set, since it can feel like it's just hammering through track after track, but the crowd definitely does zone out when there is nothing to shake them out of it.

Re: DnB Blog Dialogue - Should Different BPM Genres Be Played At A D&B Event?

most nights i play at have a varied lineup of artists, so i play a variation of music based on what i like. the things i like, you probably don't. those are your tastes, others are different. theres no right or wrong, and theres no point complaining because someone doesn't have the same taste as you.

I love house and garage etc, but i'm not going to start playing either a drum & bass event when I know the crowd have come to hear drum & bass. At a festival or an event that's known for dj's going in, it's cool.. I don't have an issue with it. But a lot of people don't actually want to hear trap, hip hop, dubstep etc being played at a drum & bass night. Last time I went out (which is rare), the dj cleared half the room... Was a complete vibe killer and the next headliner had to battle to get the floor moving again. A lot of the crowd had lost interest and went home.

also, you're probably right but this is 2013 and from what i can imagine (as i wasn't there) things are completely different now.

Yeah, Things are different and that's why I'm very selective to where I go and who I see play these days. I started raving in 1995 and those days blew me away.. A dj could drop any style of dnb and people loved it. That's now changed to people dropping a different BPM, and from what I see, it works and some clubs, and it don't work at others... That's life I guess!!

Back
Top Bottom