DnB Blog Dialogue - Should Different BPM Genres Be Played At A D&B Event?

Rich Pitchshift

VIP Junglist
Technics-Pitch.jpg

DnB Blog Dialogue starts again to raise another question to the readers, this one a little controversial. We want here your opinions on different BPM genres been played at Drum & Bass events? Do you like it or would you rather it was kept separate?

Please follow the link below and comment using the form at the bottom of the page. As I've said before in previous threads, it's slightly cheeky starting this on here and asking you to veer away from the forum to comment but if you would participate it would be much appreciated!

Link: http://dnbblog.co.uk/dnb-blog-dialogue-different-bpm-genres-played-dnb-event

Only if it keeps in nice with the flow, but moost of the times it just ruins the entire flow of the set, just like rewinds

there's a time and a place for everything just gotta know when and where... eg playaz - you will get stabbed if you drop just about anything that isnt 175+ skrillex - girls and the faggot girls with penis's will cry if you do not play scary monsters or some sort of deadmau5

but i think we a decent blend and a suiting vibe a dubstep tune could be put in a dnb set, as with a electro tune in a house set etc

Back in the day they played everything on one floor and everybody was going off.

..but to be honest..that was oldskool/hardcore/garage etc pp.

I wouldn´t want to hear dubstep/trap and other :cry: when I´m at a dnb.

Last edited:
How is this controversial? Someone plays music at a different tempo so what as long as its good music or it fits the vibe of the set night. What I find worse is every dj playing the same core of songs culminating with you hearing the same tune 8 times over the course of a night.

Maybe not, but still play other genres at the same speed. Lots of good hiphop/reggae/randoms stuff at the same speed, loads of MF Doom and Roots Manuva tracks are 170 odd bpm.

Spice it up

It's beyond annoying... Going to club to hear some dnb, only to hear the dj dropping trap/hiphop/dubstep. Save that shit for room2. Pissed me off at Outlook festival... to many dnb dj's did it and it clearly killed the vibes!!

Re: DnB Blog Dialogue - Should Different BPM Genres Be Played At A D&B Event?

love the chinstroke threads.

- - - Updated - - -
what is a different BPM genre?

what about same bpm genres though? pretty sure 175 BPM rock would be much more appreciated at a dnb

Last edited:
definitely! its nice to hear what DJs are feeling outside of their own genre, and a reluctance to do this holds back dnb at times. If you look at the 115-140 genres, a lot of DJs will move between these tempos in their sets and also in their production. If you look at drum and bass it seems to be way out on its own, obviously the faster BPM and the lack of music in between 140 and 170 makes moving between tempos more difficult but people like OM Unit and Machinedrum coming in and producing drum and bass has really added something to the scene and it would be nice to see more DJs do this. Equally, i'd like to see house/garage/techno etc. DJs incorporating appropriate drum and bass into their sets at other genre nights, as well as the other way round. Drum and bass seems to be one genre that doesn't get that kind of love, despite many producers outside of drum and bass naming early Headz stuff etc as massive influences on their music. I reckon this is a major factor in why the general perception of drum and bass is just the shit you hear on the radio and not many people outside the genre really get to hear the good stuff.

love the chinstroke threads.

- - - Updated - - -
what is a different BPM genre?

what about same bpm genres though? pretty sure 175 BPM rock would be much more appreciated at a dnb

i swear dillinja did this at fabric... i was soo fucking far gone but my last glimpse of reality heard a fucking beast of a metal break beat tune played and i was in heave soo fucking sweet the crowd went off everything went off... my most (barely) memorable experience at fabric

It's beyond annoying... Going to club to hear some dnb, only to hear the dj dropping trap/hiphop/dubstep. Save that shit for room2. Pissed me off at Outlook festival... to many dnb dj's did it and it clearly killed the vibes!!

What if the DJ produces different genres?

Icicle has to only play DNB? Bollocks! its narrowminded comments like this that makes me think most DNB heads are tossers these days.

You go to watch a DJ play tracks which he is currently feeling and are maybe influencing his style at the minute. If its not DNB deal with it or fuck off and put your ipod on that way you can pick every song that comes on an you wont need to moan about whats being played.

Or go watch some shit jump up dj who isn't talented enough to switch between genres and still make it sound good.

Big ups to those who have commented on the website. I thought this topic would have a lot of difference in opinions.

What if the DJ produces different genres?

Icicle has to only play DNB? Bollocks! its narrowminded comments like this that makes me think most DNB heads are tossers these days.

You go to watch a DJ play tracks which he is currently feeling and are maybe influencing his style at the minute. If its not DNB deal with it or fuck off and put your ipod on that way you can pick every song that comes on an you wont need to moan about whats being played.

Or go watch some shit jump up dj who isn't talented enough to switch between genres and still make it sound good.

I go to a club to listen to a style of music...which is drum & bass. If I wanted to hear a djing playing a bit of everything, then i'd go to one of those type of events were dj's do that 24/7..
I don't like trap etc and don't want to hear it when I go out..... and i'm not alone either. I went to a dnb night, to catch a dj that i've not seen in a while........clear the half the room because he decided to play trap/hiphop for 20 minutes. Pure vibe killer!!

I've been raving since I was 14.. I don't remember going to jungle raves and hearing dj's drop hiphop and bashment etc during sets.. Time and a place for it!!!
It's far from Narrow minded. People go out and pay good money to listen to a dj playing DRUM & BASS........

I go to a club to listen to a style of music...which is drum & bass. If I wanted to hear a djing playing a bit of everything, then i'd go to one of those type of events were dj's do that 24/7..

most nights i play at have a varied lineup of artists, so i play a variation of music based on what i like. the things i like, you probably don't. those are your tastes, others are different. theres no right or wrong, and theres no point complaining because someone doesn't have the same taste as you.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember going to jungle raves and hearing dj's drop hiphop and bashment etc during sets.. Time and a place for it!!!

also, you're probably right but this is 2013 and from what i can imagine (as i wasn't there) things are completely different now.

to be fair I kinda agree with him though, i've seen you already rockwell and I enjoyed your sets, would have been happier without the trap but it was still good

I dont have anything against 3-5 tunes or so of a different genre but anything longer than 15 minutes and im losing my interest and gonna wander off (except for if I like the music which occasionally happens aswell), I think it is much more acceptable when the music has a deeper darker rolling vibe as it just kind of fits more and doesn't kill the vibe and momentum of a set completely. The matter is different when you are booked for a festival or a lineup that has a variety of genres on it (which was where i saw you) but if you're booked for a dnb event then I think you shouldn't wander off tht too long because people go there to see dnb.

Back
Top Bottom